Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Etihad Airways | Etihad Guest
Reload this Page >

Changes to co-branded credit card benefits (ADCB, UAE-issued)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2016, 4:36 am
Original Poster

Hello everyone,

I have just received an e-mail (newsletter I believe) highlighting upcoming changes to the benefits structure of the ADCB Etihad co-branded cards, effective May 2016. In case yours got sent to the junk folder, the mailer links to this page for details: http://adcb.com/personalbanking/card...d-ReLaunch.asp

Positives (?):

+ Introduction of anniversary bonus (10K Guest miles yearly for platinum cards, 25K for the infinite one);
+ Earn Guest Tier miles along with redeemable miles (1 EYG Tier/USD spent globally, capped at 25K/year tier miles for platinum, 50K/year for infinite);

Negatives:

- Loss of miles multiplier;
- Reduced base earning rates (1.5>1, 2>1.5 for platinum and infinite, respectively);

It seems interesting that the credit card benefits program seems to be shifting away from redeemable miles and moving towards tier miles instead; given last year's devaluation (wrt EYG awards) I believe the change can be seen as an attempt to retain relevance in a slowing market.

Personally, I'll probably keep the card, even with the 40-60% reduction in redeemable miles earning. I might actually be in the target market for this change: can achieve EY gold BIS but not flown enough in a year for platinum and uses miles for upgrades rather than straight up awards.

Though I wonder if there is another card that yields better rewards? Anybody recommends some other card instead? NBAD stars > EYG miles will likely remain an option to earn redeemable miles at close to old rates, right?

Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 26, 2016, 9:00 am

Programs: Etihad Platinum. Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Added to the positives is that we still have the 50% upgrade voucher after every fifth flight. I have used the vouchers on many an occasion.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 12:47 am

Originally Posted by sabdhabi
Added to the positives is that we still have the 50% upgrade voucher after every fifth flight. I have used the vouchers on many an occasion.
I've never ever received this, and no one at the bank or at Etihad seem to be able to help me on this.

I'm reading the email now. I'm Platinum. It looks like my previous situation on out of country spend of 1$ = 2.5 miles is now reduced to 1=1. And the bonus 2000 per month if I spend >2000$ is also gone.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 5:09 am

Programs: EY Platinum
Originally Posted by Dubh
I've never ever received this, and no one at the bank or at Etihad seem to be able to help me on this.
Me neither.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sabdhabi
Indeed, I'm glad it is still offered!

Dubh and csdf, at first I also had issues receiving these e-vouchers, but after inquiring with the guestgold[at]... email, eventually they were able to rectify the issue. I never contacted ADCB directly, so perhaps Etihad has to be the one to assist you?

After the first voucher I never had trouble receiving the following ones, so I guess they need to change some flag on their system to correctly track the number of flights associated with both the EYG account and the ADCB card?
Old Apr 28, 2016, 7:46 am

I should add that each of the five flights should be within a 12 month rolling period and that redemption tickets and miles + cash are excluded. If you were to buy an economy ticket and upgrade with miles to Business, then that is included. I too on one occasion had to chase up the missing voucher through guestgold@.... but after a few days it did come through.
Old May 2, 2016, 2:03 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
I just got one of the ADCB upgrade vouchers - does it cover a single leg of a return ticket or is it good for both legs of a round-trip? Thanks.
Old May 2, 2016, 2:51 am

Originally Posted by NoY
I just got one of the ADCB upgrade vouchers - does it cover a single leg of a return ticket or is it good for both legs of a round-trip? Thanks.
It definitely covers both legs of the ticket and I know from experience that it also works for multi-city itineraries, for example MCT MAN then FRA MCT on one ticket.
Old May 2, 2016, 2:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NoY
Hi NoY, each voucher should be good for the round-trip, per person (i.e. if you are travelling with someone else one-way you cannot apply the voucher for two one-ways at 50% each instead, although the cost would be the same). Once a phone agent even suggested that the voucher is valid for more than two segments (e.g. XXX-AUH-YYY and back, four segments total), but I have not had a chance to try it. Maybe you will have better luck!

*ETA: thanks for the confirmation sabdhabi! That's very good to know!
Old May 2, 2016, 4:39 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Excellent feedback guys - thanks ^
Old May 17, 2016, 12:04 am
NoY

Do the EY ADCB 50% upgrade vouchers have to come out of standard award inventory? I have a paid Business sector coming up & wanted to see if I could use this to upgrade to F..there is currently no reward inventory but they are selling F.

Anyone? Cheers^
Old May 17, 2016, 12:33 am

Programs: EY Gold
I just redeemed an ADCB 50% upgrade voucher this morning, and the upgrade availability exactly matched the reward inventory visible on the EY site.

You could always call and ask, though!
Old May 17, 2016, 12:36 am
NoY

Originally Posted by gembowcup
I just redeemed an ADCB 50% upgrade voucher this morning, and the upgrade availability exactly matched the reward inventory visible on the EY site.

You could always call and ask, though!
Congrats!

Could call but am so often given bum, ahem, questionable info. by the agents I wanted first hand experience @:-)
Old May 17, 2016, 1:10 am

Originally Posted by abaca12
Hi NoY, each voucher should be good for the round-trip, per person (i.e. if you are travelling with someone else one-way you cannot apply the voucher for two one-ways at 50% each instead, although the cost would be the same).
Hi guys, one ADCB 50% upgrade voucher worked a few months ago with me for upgrading three PAX of my family (myself, wife & kid) from Y to J in one request.
The 50% discount applied to the three upgrades ; this was made over the phone with EY agent.

Worth noting the three of us were flying together under a unique PNR (booking).

The three of us are also linked under EYG family membership, but I suppose that wasn't relevant.
Old May 17, 2016, 1:26 am
NoY

Originally Posted by plbplb
Hi guys, one ADCB 50% upgrade voucher worked a few months ago with me for upgrading three PAX of my family (myself, wife & kid) from Y to J in one request.
The 50% discount applied to the three upgrades ; this was made over the phone with EY agent.

Worth noting the three of us were flying together under a unique PNR (booking).

The three of us are also linked under EYG family membership, but I suppose that wasn't relevant.
Good to know - was the upgrade into standard award inventory do you know?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.