Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Etihad Airways | Etihad Guest
Reload this Page >

EtihadGuest Status and Onboard Experience

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2016, 10:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EY Plat, Accor Plat

I love flying Etihad now that I'm based in AUH however I find they lack somewhat with welcoming/rewarding higher loyalty program status PAX. With almost every other airline I fly they greet from silver members (or equivalent second lowest loyalty status) onboard and yes, for the more frequent travellers with higher status this can become a little OTT however it serves a purpose.

On a recent J class flight I missed a meal preference as the 6 other PAX ahead of me (from the last row in J moving forward) had their meal preferences taken and must have ordered the same meal. Now while this is a ridiculous "first world problem" I'd have thought the simplest and most sincere way to reward loyalty would be to do what other airlines seem to and ask higher status PAX for their meal preferences upon the in-seat greeting from the cabin manager (which EY also don't do).

Not greeting PAX with status or taking their meal preferences is such a simple fix and i often find the smaller details often appear to have the largest impact to an overall experience... it seems like a huge oversight and really lagging behind other carriers. It's a small gesture that goes a very long way and keeps PAX loyal.

anyone else find this?

Last edited by kelix; Apr 17, 2016 at 12:17 am
Old Apr 16, 2016, 11:40 pm

Programs: OWE, *A-G, EY Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Complete mixed bag with EY.

Sometimes in longhaul Y I will have the CSL come and say hello, offer a champagne and nuts from J and make generally make sure all is well. This has not happened for quite some time now though.

The norm, for me lately, has been a fairly scripted hello, but with zero follow up. Even asking for some potato chips is normally rebuffed.

A bit like EK, I feel like EY is a full service LCC. The vast majority of passengers are once/twice a year to Thailand/Australia/Japan etc. Dealing with people that come back several times per week doesn't seem to be within the EY model at times. I think that this is reflected in the fact that crew appear to have very little information about status passengers. When you compare this to BA (as an example), the crew are let down by poor tools from the company.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 11:29 pm

Programs: EY Platinum
For a couple of years I was flying Etihad twice a week every week. Never once did I receive any preferential treatment, let alone a greeting.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 6:09 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by flying_fozzy
Complete mixed bag with EY.

Sometimes in longhaul Y I will have the CSL come and say hello, offer a champagne and nuts from J and make generally make sure all is well. This has not happened for quite some time now though.

The norm, for me lately, has been a fairly scripted hello, but with zero follow up. Even asking for some potato chips is normally rebuffed.

A bit like EK, I feel like EY is a full service LCC. The vast majority of passengers are once/twice a year to Thailand/Australia/Japan etc. Dealing with people that come back several times per week doesn't seem to be within the EY model at times. I think that this is reflected in the fact that crew appear to have very little information about status passengers. When you compare this to BA (as an example), the crew are let down by poor tools from the company.
I have read some incredible things on FT over the last 12 years or so that I have been around here, but referring to EK & EY as remotely like a LCC is, frankly, just plain baffling.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 6:25 am

Programs: Etihad Platinum. Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
I flew AUH MCT today in Y. Zero recognition upon boarding, however before take off the cabin manager (?) came by my aisle seat, introduced herself to me, welcomed me on board, asked me if I would like anything bringing, for example a newspaper and wished me a good flight. She didn't have to do that and I thought it was a nice gesture.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by kelix
With almost every other airline I fly they greet from silver members (or equivalent second lowest loyalty status) onboard and yes, for the more frequent travellers with higher status this can become a little OTT however it serves a purpose.
What other airlines are these?

Last time I flew EY (as a Gold, in business class, with my Etihad Guest number in the reservation) the cabin service manager (or whatever EY calls them) invited me to join Etihad Guest...
Old Apr 22, 2016, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by NoY
I have read some incredible things on FT over the last 12 years or so that I have been around here, but referring to EK & EY as remotely like a LCC is, frankly, just plain baffling.
Fozzie is renowned for his sense of humour!

Old Apr 22, 2016, 9:08 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Fozzie is renowned for his sense of humour!

I never really liked the muppets.......
Old Apr 22, 2016, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: EY Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by irishguy28
What other airlines are these?

Last time I flew EY (as a Gold, in business class, with my Etihad Guest number in the reservation) the cabin service manager (or whatever EY calls them) invited me to join Etihad Guest...
Qantas, Singapore, Qatar...
Old Apr 23, 2016, 7:05 am
Formerly known as koeche

Programs: LX HON, QR Plat, Hilton Diamond, Windows 11, Adobe Creative Suite
I also believe the crew has no information about status or just don't look at it. Happened to me too once that they offered me the membership even though I was Gold.

LX normally takes good care of their top tier clients, always being greeted on short and long haul, also in Y.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 8:23 am

well, not too difficult to find an answwr to your query: as long as you are no frequent flyer with a status, EY has to care to make you one. Once you are a Gold guest, why should they bother? It is no easy decision to drop a status you have with one airline and leave for another one if there is no status match.

Think about it - absolutely true with EY which give away a hard earned Gold Status for Peanuts to a competitor's frequent Flyer.

Good news: other Airline also offer Status matches if you qualify and ask nicely.

signed: a former EY Gold guest
Old Apr 25, 2016, 11:41 am

Programs: EY Guest Platinum; A3 Gold; Delta Platinum, BA Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by CheckInPeach
I also believe the crew has no information about status or just don't look at it. Happened to me too once that they offered me the membership even though I was Gold.

LX normally takes good care of their top tier clients, always being greeted on short and long haul, also in Y.
They have access. They do receive a list with all pax, special requests and status.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 1:43 pm

I am an etihad gold member, and I used to get greetings, and champaign on some flights. But this week I took etihad flight to Belgrade, and there was no greetings, and NO fast track card was offered on the return trip until I asked because I saw a guy in my front row was given one.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 5:53 pm

Programs: QF Plat, VA Plat, BA Gold
Originally Posted by CheckInPeach
I also believe the crew has no information about status or just don't look at it.
No greeting for me, but towards the end of the flight, I always get a fast track card and a generic 'how has your flight been' - as VA plat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.