Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Etihad Airways | Etihad Guest
Reload this Page >

920 AED "carrier charge" for a single sector biz seat

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2016, 5:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: Avios Hunter

The carrier charge is supposed to be $100 for a single sector biz guestseat.

But the website is currently requesting 920 AED for a 1-way AUH-MLE in biz, which XE.com tells me is $250.

Update...I've checked AUH->LHR, and AUH->DUB, and they both are charging the correct figure of 370AED (around $100)

Economy seating on AUH->MLE is pricing wrong too, 370AED, which is $100, when it should be $50.
So it looks like the carrier charge for guestseats AUH->MLE is screwed.

Last edited by tangey; Apr 6, 2016 at 5:58 am
Old Apr 7, 2016, 12:51 pm

Programs: DL-SM Silver, EY-Gold, HH
I don't know if its screwed, or they just don't price it anymore the way it was "supposed" to be when they made the changes last year.

I just booked two tickets AUH-DEL in biz, and the charge, per passenger, per segment, was AED 520, which is USD 141.

A couple of other recent awards I booked in economy were also well above the $50 amount, so who know what the actual rate really is......
Old Apr 8, 2016, 3:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by svs-dhm
I don't know if its screwed, or they just don't price it anymore the way it was "supposed" to be when they made the changes last year.

I just booked two tickets AUH-DEL in biz, and the charge, per passenger, per segment, was AED 520, which is USD 141.

A couple of other recent awards I booked in economy were also well above the $50 amount, so who know what the actual rate really is......
You are confusing total taxes with carrier surcharge. The total taxes for a 1-way AUH-DEL in a biz guestseat is 520AED, 370AED of that is listed as the carrier surcharge, which is what it's supposed to be.

AUH-MLE is the only segment I've found that is charging the wrong carrier surcharge (AED920, which is about $250). The reverse segment charges the correct $100 figure

Last edited by tangey; Apr 8, 2016 at 3:24 am
Old Apr 12, 2016, 3:43 am
Original Poster

I PM'ed the official FT etihad userid on here (which appears to get any one of a number of people), telling them that the website was overcharging customers 2.5x for the carrier surcharge on guestseats on AUH-MLE (e.g. $250 instead of $100 in biz).

The reply was have I contacted [email protected], or did I want him/her to do so ?

really....that's it, no taking ownership of a problem, checking it out, and attempting to resolve what is a serious overcharge ? Just asking me do I want them to do anything about it ?? my actual response was:-

I'm telling you as the official representative of Etihad on here. A quick check by you on your website would prove that the website is overcharging the carrier surcharge fee for AUH-MLE. It takes about 2 mins.

I assume at that point, as an official Etihad employee, you would make contact with your colleagues in the correct department so that they can stop Etihad overcharging.

Is this not your job function, to liase with customers, confirm that the issue exists, and do everyting you can to address the issue ?
That was 4 days ago, there has been no further response.

Last edited by tangey; Apr 12, 2016 at 3:56 am
Old Apr 12, 2016, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by tangey
The carrier charge is supposed to be $100 for a single sector biz guestseat.

But the website is currently requesting 920 AED for a 1-way AUH-MLE in biz, which XE.com tells me is $250.

Update...I've checked AUH->LHR, and AUH->DUB, and they both are charging the correct figure of 370AED (around $100)

Economy seating on AUH->MLE is pricing wrong too, 370AED, which is $100, when it should be $50.
So it looks like the carrier charge for guestseats AUH->MLE is screwed.
Interestingly, this doesn't happen for MLE-AUH: Guest seat co-pay is $126.40 vs $26.40 for business freedom.

I hope you can find someone to address this soon.

Edit: Sorry, I just noticed you had mentioned this already, I was just checking the reverse route because it's of interest to me.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by tangey
really....that's it, no taking ownership of a problem,
Indeed, it's not. But if you followed the relevant thread you will see that is how they roll.

Take ownership of the problem - ring them. Some problems need a direct intervention, not back-and-forth messaging (particularly when the answer is always to send an email to [email protected] or some other such email)
Old Apr 12, 2016, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Indeed, it's not. But if you followed the relevant thread you will see that is how they roll.

Take ownership of the problem - ring them.
It isn't a problem for me, I already have flights booked on that route ages ago. I check the route regularly as I'm looking to change the flight date by a day if possible, which is why I noticed the sudden change.

As I'm not actually looking to book the sector, I can't really force the issue. I've told the official rep on here, and also emailed the official guest assistance email address. It's sad if neither receipient can be bothered to do anything about it.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

I made contact with an Etihad rep who had assisted me before with a query and asked for the issue to be escalated as appropriate. The response that came back from the pricing team is that it is not an error, but rather:-

this is the fare introduced by our pricing team in the market for AUH-MLE sector.
A couple things. This has nothing to do with the fare, as the taxes and fees are correct when you buy a flight on that routing with cash. Interesting also that they consider adding $150 to the reward carrier surcharge as a "fare" adjustment.

Also, it would appear that they are operating outside their own t&c
http://www.etihadguest.com/en/terms-and-conditions/
Section 8.3.2.2 states
GuestSeat Rewards booking is subject to the payment of a carrier charge. This will be calculated based on the number of sectors and class of travel - US$ 50 per sector when travelling in Economy Class, US$ 100 per sector in Business Class and US$ 150 per sector in First Class. Application of the carrier charge issubject to local legal restrictions.
There is no provision in the t&c for changing the carrier surcharge based on the route. (Likely, there is probably some sort of "we can do anything we want" clause)

Finally, one wonders why change the carrier surcharge for guest seats on a single route ?
Old Apr 19, 2016, 8:52 pm

I am having the same problem trying to book AUH-SEZ.... This is really frustrating. Any updates on a resolution?
Old Apr 20, 2016, 3:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by seychellesbound
I am having the same problem trying to book AUH-SEZ.... This is really frustrating. Any updates on a resolution?
Didn't realise that AUh-SEZ had also been changed. Etihad has confirmed that it isn't a glitch, it's a deliberate action of overcharging surcharge. It actually goes against their own T&C. But Etihad and customer service are not two things many here would say go hand in hand, so it appears they do what they like.
Old May 31, 2016, 11:53 am

I was looking for flights today and I noticed that Etihad 'enhanced' the charge the other way too: the surcharge for MLE-AUH is now $100 in economy and $250 in business. Awesome..
Old Jun 2, 2016, 5:59 am

It is a striking example of an airline ripping off customers, it seems. MLE and SZE are popular "mileage burn" destinations from AUH, so this is their way of making these routes profitable and breaking promises made when awarding frequent flier miles.

Probably easier for an airline from the UAE than for an airline from the EU.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 3:03 pm

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
Not like airlines from the EU have had much difficulty doing the same thing in the past decade or so...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.