Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Etihad Airways | Etihad Guest
Reload this Page >

Etihad Airways cancelled thousands of tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2015, 2:05 am
Original Poster

Etihad Airways cancelled thousands of tickets purchased by passengers in Russia on a hillarious pretext that the fare was erroneously construed. The fare for an extremely multi-leg route (including a detour from Bangkok to Abu-Dhabi) from Moscow to Australia and/or New Zealand was low indeed, but to follow the fares which they offered is entirely the carrier's responsibility. As the Art. 310 of the Russian Civil Code explicitly prohibits the party to the contract which is a commercial entity to release itself from contractual obligations when the other party is a customer EVEN if there is a term in the contract that entitles the commercial entity to do so, Etihad Airways faces the prospect of thousands of lawsuits here in Russia if no steps will be taken to pay compensation or to settle the dispute with passengers otherwise. It should be mentioned that all the cases wiil be heard in Russia, according to provisions of the Federal Customer Protection Act. However, at the moment the carrier has not even paid back the money paid to them, let alone any move to negotiate with passengers. Not a word of apology, nothing. But long before the dispute will be taken to the court, the damage to the Etihad Airways business reputation will be tremendous, that much I can promise. There are already a lot of discussions on travel blogs, forums, and other media, particularly here in facebook.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 2:20 am

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
Meanwhile in the real world, people will just continue to book the cheapest carrier they can find online or in travel agencies. Furthermore, how do you know that the tickets number in the thousands?

I also find it dubious that you call Etihad's pretext hilarious while admitting in the very next sentence that the fare for the "extremely multi-leg route" was low, without quoting the actual number (which I presume was sub-500$).
Old Jul 27, 2015, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by gojko88
(which I presume was sub-500$).
There apparently was an economy "offer" but the real ticket of interest here was the same itinerary in business class, coming in for about €1500.

There is already a thread here in the Etihad forum:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/etiha...re-excuse.html

However, all discussion should be in the Mileage Deal thread about this error fare:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premi...w-2000usd.html

Flagged to mods.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 4:50 am
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
Please continue to follow this subject at one of the links Irishguy provided.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.