Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Weighing Carry-On Luggage

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2015, 8:51 pm
Original Poster

Weighing Carry-On Luggage

I got the Christmas day mistake fare tickets for a friend and me. I noticed that carryons on Etihad are limited to 7 kg (~15 lbs). Considering the weight of a suitcase, that really is not much. I have a feeling I would be much closer to 11 kg. We are flying JFK-CDG-AUH-JNB-AUH-CDG-JFK. I was wondering if Etihad actually weighs bags. I am particularly concerned about in CDG and AUH on the way there as I know that Etihad is notorious for lost luggage. I will probably check it all the way through on the way back and I wouldn't care nearly as much if they made me check it at the gate. I also know it will be fine on the AA operated segments.

I am planning to take a backpack like the eBags Motherlode Weekender as my only bag. If I have my laptop and reading material for the flight ("extras" allowed by Etihad) will it make a difference to them if it's overweight (instead of as a separate "personal item." Do you think they will be less likely to ask me to weigh a backpack if I am carrying it on my back than they would a roller? I'd especially like to hear from folks with experience at CDG or AUH on Etihad.

Thanks!
Old Jan 14, 2015, 9:09 pm

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Originally Posted by carolina13
I got the Christmas day mistake fare tickets for a friend and me. I noticed that carryons on Etihad are limited to 7 kg (~15 lbs). Considering the weight of a suitcase, that really is not much. I have a feeling I would be much closer to 11 kg. We are flying JFK-CDG-AUH-JNB-AUH-CDG-JFK. I was wondering if Etihad actually weighs bags. I am particularly concerned about in CDG and AUH on the way there as I know that Etihad is notorious for lost luggage. I will probably check it all the way through on the way back and I wouldn't care nearly as much if they made me check it at the gate. I also know it will be fine on the AA operated segments.

I am planning to take a backpack like the eBags Motherlode Weekender as my only bag. If I have my laptop and reading material for the flight ("extras" allowed by Etihad) will it make a difference to them if it's overweight (instead of as a separate "personal item." Do you think they will be less likely to ask me to weigh a backpack if I am carrying it on my back than they would a roller? I'd especially like to hear from folks with experience at CDG or AUH on Etihad.

Thanks!
Carry-on do seem awful light. This is what I got off there site. Lol my wife's purse is heavier than 7 kg.

http://www.etihad.com/en-us/before-y...ge-allowances/

Last edited by jjmiller69; Jan 14, 2015 at 9:24 pm
Old Jan 15, 2015, 4:14 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
I have had carry on weighted at SYD and AUH as a F pax. There is some leniency if it includes a laptop.

I'm not sure about the validity of your reference to EY and lost luggage?
Old Jan 15, 2015, 6:40 am

Programs: AA Exec Plt , Marriott Ambassador
I've had my carry on weighed flying J our of ORD, but never out of JFK/LHR/AUH/MLE (combination of J and F).
Old Jan 15, 2015, 7:14 am

I've flown with EY numerous times and I can't recalled my bags being weighed at all. When I travel with 2 small hand luggage + 1 DSLR camera bag, it is often that they ask me to carry it to the cabin. I'm Gold btw.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 10:16 am

Only time I recall was maybe, maybe in Praslin, Seychelles on a J ticket. But that's because it was a puddle jumper.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 1:34 pm

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
Carry-ons never weighed for me in LCA, AUH, or JFK (flying J). In fact, last Christmas I few out of JFK with a roll-aboard, a small bag, a handbag and a small paper bag containing about 6 DVDs - I fully intended to put the DVDs inside the roll-aboard but was not asked to, so I didn't.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 3:11 pm

my friend's carry-on was weighted at IAD for IAD-AUH flight recently.

People should wear coats w/ large pockets so they can stuff them full of heavy stuff and have light carry-on's. I don't think they weight jackets.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 3:44 pm

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY
Flew F from AUH three times earlier this year in around March-April, carry on were not weighed once
Old Jan 15, 2015, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Any experience in economy out of the airports I asked about--CDG and AUH?
Old Jan 15, 2015, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by jjmiller69
Carry-on do seem awful light. This is what I got off there site. Lol my wife's purse is heavier than 7 kg.

http://www.etihad.com/en-us/before-y...ge-allowances/
You'll find that the vast majority of international carriers have similar limit for carryons.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by carolina13
Any experience in economy out of the airports I asked about--CDG and AUH?
You should always stick to the advertised limit because you never know when that gets invoked. Having said that, if the 11kg you mentioned includes a laptop, and the size of the bag is within the 110cm limit then you should be fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.