Wiki Posts
Search

First EY flights

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2014, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK Skywards Gold, Etihad Guest Gold, VS
First EY flights

I have just booked my first EY flights, in Y, UK to OZ and return (EY18/470/473/11), out in April, back in May. The price really was too good to miss out on.

Any tips to get the best out of the EY experience would be appreciated.

As EY status matched my EK gold card I guess I get into the various lounges...LHR, AUH, SIN and BNE? How are they?

Thank you.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 2:32 pm

Programs: QF Plat, KL Plat, TK Gold, WY Gold, Bonvoy Tit
LHR will be the best of the bunch.

AUH is a secondary lounge, Al Reem, which is nowhere near as good as the AUH Biz and First lounges.

SIN is a shared lounge, the CIP I believe, it's really nothing special.

BNE should be passable, Virgin Australia lounge there, have never been in BNE but these are usually fairly busy in MEL and SYD with your typical business commuters.

Enjoy LHR - it's pretty close to what you get in AUH First Lounge, so you can let the imagination stretch a bit when you are in AUH Al Reem
Old Feb 10, 2014, 5:00 pm

Auh biz lounge

I have been told that the biz lounge is full to overflowing in the morning (say, for 10 am departures) and that it's best to stay in the concourses.

Any insight on this matter? I would arrive at airport later if I knew that the lounge was a no-go zone because of crowding.

Thanks
Old Feb 10, 2014, 10:12 pm

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by EFATO
BNE should be passable, Virgin Australia lounge there, have never been in BNE but these are usually fairly busy in MEL and SYD with your typical business commuters.
It'll be the NZ lounge in BNE. VA doesn't have its own lounge at the international terminal and also uses the NZ lounge.

You'd be better off staying in the general concourse area. The lounge is utterly crap.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 9:25 pm

Programs: QF Plat, KL Plat, TK Gold, WY Gold, Bonvoy Tit
Originally Posted by observer
I have been told that the biz lounge is full to overflowing in the morning (say, for 10 am departures) and that it's best to stay in the concourses.

Any insight on this matter? I would arrive at airport later if I knew that the lounge was a no-go zone because of crowding.

Thanks
Yes, it gets full - but I reckon to say that it's better in the concourses is quite an exaggeration. Crowded or not, you can get a decent breakfast and coffee in the lounge, read the paper, take a shower, etc., and the concourses really aren't that nice.

Unless you are extremely agoraphobic I wouldn't call it a "no-go zone". Busy though, yes.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 4:00 pm

Yes, I was in the business lounge in AUH recently waiting for 10 am departure and thought it was a disgeace! Very difficult to find a seat, limited selection of food on offer, bartender didn't know what a Buck's Fizz or Mimosa was, I could go on. Nothing like the experience Emirates offers up the road at dxb. On the positive side, did get a complimentary massage at the spa which was quite good.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 6:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK Skywards Gold, Etihad Guest Gold, VS
On reflection, the BNE lounge is a no go area anyway as I am not on a ANZ operated flight so I wont get in.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 8:56 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by EFATO
Actually, VA have no international lounges. You are completely incorrect. It will be the NZ Lounge in BNE, like it is in SYD and MEL.

EY contracts lounge access from NZ until they open their first Australian lounge in SYD in a few months. For a short while EY used QF Lounges but that relationship ceased shortly thereafter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.