Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Etihad Guest/Oman Air Redemptions

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2017, 5:52 am

Programs: Etihad Platinum. Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Yesterday, I had a remarkably painless experience (30 minutes) with the Manchester call centre for a redemption booking on Oman Air in business class for BKK MCT and then MCT AUH. The agent had to issue two separate tickets. I didn't think this would be a problem until I called Oman Air to check. Oman Air told me that because they are two separate tickets, the check-in staff at BKK could not tag my bags straight through to AUH and I would need to clear immigration in MCT, collect my bags, and check in again. All this would be in the space of two hours and 20 minutes. I think the time frame is a bit tight as I would have to queue up for a visa. I'm now thinking of cancelling the two tickets. BKK MCT was 34,000 miles. MCT AUH was 6,000 miles. A business class redemption with Etihad would cost 59,775 miles. I wanted to try Oman Air's business class and at 40,000 miles, I thought it was a good deal. Has anybody done anything similar re transiting in MCT with Oman Air? Any advice would be welcome.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 12:06 pm

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum; Accor Platinum; Hilton Diamond
All depends if you need to check luggage. They announce when you land into Oman that you always have to clear luggage there like you would going through the US so I'm not sure it will make a difference

Price of the visa has gone up too around £42 at the moment 20 Omani riyals

I go through transit most months with a carry on and it takes seconds, however in theory the new terminal opened last week though don't know if that happened as yet..... So don't know how quick transit will be in the new one.

​​​​​​Really hoping for new lounges as the old ones were untouched for a long while expecting to move to the new building....
Old Nov 30, 2017, 12:54 am

Yeah, I may be able to get away with two pieces of hand baggage, each not weighing more than 7 kgs. Good point. Agreed, transit in MCT is a breeze. Flying there in a couple of days with EY on a two-day break so I will see if the new terminal has opened.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by sabdhabi
Yeah, I may be able to get away with two pieces of hand baggage, each not weighing more than 7 kgs. Good point. Agreed, transit in MCT is a breeze. Flying there in a couple of days with EY on a two-day break so I will see if the new terminal has opened.
Oooh please let us know
Old Dec 2, 2017, 4:36 am

Still very much the old terminal in MCT...
Old Dec 2, 2017, 4:40 am

Slightly off-topic, but is the new terminal going to replace the old one, or be an addition? If an addition, have they indicated as to which flights/destinations will go from which terminal? Oman Air often has the cheapest fares from UK to south Asia, hence my query.

Cheers
Old Dec 3, 2017, 3:55 am

Originally Posted by sabdhabi
Still very much the old terminal in MCT...
funny, they were sure it would open on National day which is around the 23rd of November
Old Dec 3, 2017, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by Dogmatick
funny, they were sure it would open on National day which is around the 23rd of November
I was told that it would be at least two months before the new terminal opens.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 4:38 pm

OK well then come on 2018 !

Just for the first time took an Oman Air redemption. AUH - MCT on EY is 4618 Miles and 310 Dirhams in Y
AUH - MCT in Y on Oman Air is 3000 mies and 168Dirhams.... it is 55% more expensive to use EY miles on EY than it is on Oman plus the big cash diff too, what happens with the downgrade in Jan.....
It's the same or worse in business ! At least they have an F to Dusseldorf !
Old Dec 6, 2017, 2:49 am
Suspended

Programs: EY Guest Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold, Le Club Accor Silver, AAdvantage Gold
Are we sure that a devaluation is in the making?

Last edited by DatBoi; Dec 6, 2017 at 3:07 am
Old Dec 6, 2017, 3:30 am

Originally Posted by DatBoi
Are we sure that a devaluation is in the making?
Yes.

​​​​​
Old Dec 17, 2017, 2:24 pm

Programs: HH-D / IHG-Sp / Marriott-P / LH-SEN / BA-S
Does someone have experience with Intra-Oman flight? I'd like to book WY931 but Etihad Guest said this flight is only possible for Omani (resident) ?!?!
What is "ADVS TO CARRY PPT" ?? Carry passport? Isn't it standard nowaday to carry passport all the time?

Old Dec 17, 2017, 2:26 pm

Programs: HH-D / IHG-Sp / Marriott-P / LH-SEN / BA-S
What wonders me more is only Omani residents qualify for the paid business tix (fare basis D), but apparently not the case for award tix (fare basis W)?! Can someone confirm this?
Old Dec 19, 2017, 5:35 pm

So be aware that Oman Air offers fares ONLY eligible to Omani nationals. This could be the source of confusion, there is a whole separate section on their website if you are Omani and get a discount for being as such
Old Feb 6, 2018, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by Dogmatick
Dogmatick - just stumbled across this re the opening date (20 March 2018) for Muscat's new terminal. By chance, I am in transit there (BKK MCT AUH) on 30 March. Will be interesting to check it out and also to check out the Oman Air biz lounge.
New Muscat airport terminal to open on March 20 GulfNews.com

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.