Search

Cash upgrade on award ticket?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2012, 3:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Cash upgrade on award ticket?

I saw a upgrade award chart link on FT a few weeks ago but can't find it right now. Would anyone know what the cash upgrade is from DEL-AUH and if I can do it on a award?

My AUH-JFK is in First but no availability for the DEL-AUH through awards. I recall seeing a $100 upgrade charge at check-in. Does anyone know about this and if I can do it on a award?
Old Apr 19, 2012, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lallyr
I saw a upgrade award chart link on FT a few weeks ago but can't find it right now. Would anyone know what the cash upgrade is from DEL-AUH and if I can do it on a award?

My AUH-JFK is in First but no availability for the DEL-AUH through awards. I recall seeing a $100 upgrade charge at check-in. Does anyone know about this and if I can do it on a award?
Bump anyone?
Old Apr 22, 2012, 9:51 am

Programs: EK Gold, SK*G, IHG Diamond Amb

I know Bangalore - AUH is 110usd so DEL should be approx. the same.
Not sure if it works on award tickets...
Old Apr 22, 2012, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gunlie
I know Bangalore - AUH is 110usd so DEL should be approx. the same.
Not sure if it works on award tickets...
That figure is roughly what I saw from DEL too. How do you normally do it from BLR? At check in do you ask? I called DEL reservations and they claim they have never done airport paid upgrades.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 1:57 pm

Is this an EY guest award or redeemed through another airline?
Old Apr 23, 2012, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by edy4eva
Is this an EY guest award or redeemed through another airline?
Through AA
Old Apr 23, 2012, 3:26 am

Through AA
From what I know, it will be impossible in your case, even if you had an award with EY (but in this case somehow you might get offered the upgrade at check in).
Seeing you're also connecting through it sort of obliterates you chances for an onward upgrade anyways. The only thing you could do is check at the lounge in AUH when transiting, maybe someone might bump you up.

The cash rates that were published online a while ago were a special promotion whereby you had to purchase tickets from EY by a certain date, and fly by another date.

Having said all that. You're flying to DEL, which to my knowledge is operated as J/Y only on narrow body A320 (no F at all) save for some odd dates where a wide body is operating with F as were reported on this forum a while back.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by edy4eva
From what I know, it will be impossible in your case, even if you had an award with EY (but in this case somehow you might get offered the upgrade at check in).
Seeing you're also connecting through it sort of obliterates you chances for an onward upgrade anyways. The only thing you could do is check at the lounge in AUH when transiting, maybe someone might bump you up.

The cash rates that were published online a while ago were a special promotion whereby you had to purchase tickets from EY by a certain date, and fly by another date.

Having said all that. You're flying to DEL, which to my knowledge is operated as J/Y only on narrow body A320 (no F at all) save for some odd dates where a wide body is operating with F as were reported on this forum a while back.
Yeah its on the A320 and my flight is ex DEL to AUH ad then First to LHR. So I guess I could check at DEL, maybe the airport manager might see sense and see that I should be in Business seeing as its a First class ticket.

I haven't the A345 coming to DEL for some time now.
Old May 3, 2012, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Possible on a AA award. Paid $100 for DEL-AUH.

Bargain for a 3hr 40 min flight. ^
Old May 10, 2012, 5:17 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
That's a great deal it's not as good as the long haul business class but not bad. The seats are almos flat and the service is way Better.

The problem with ETIHAD economy is that you will be sitting with all the servants and maids who are being shuttled between India and AUH
Old May 10, 2012, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by airplanepeanuts
That's a great deal it's not as good as the long haul business class but not bad. The seats are almos flat and the service is way Better.

The problem with ETIHAD economy is that you will be sitting with all the servants and maids who are being shuttled between India and AUH
Exactly. Its not a short flight either. Just under 4hrs. $100 was worth every cent.
Old May 10, 2012, 9:59 am

I believe the chart with cash upgrade prices was until 31 March 2012 only.
Old May 10, 2012, 9:59 am

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by airplanepeanuts
Why is that a problem?
Old May 10, 2012, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pogonation
Why is that a problem?
Quite simply put they have different mentality. They are not used to flying and cause any number of minor problems in my experience. Recently at DEL this guy just walked in front of me while I was next to get security checked when I asked him to respect the line he gave me a blank stare, passport control another guy walked to the front without even queuing. Boarding was a farce with no one respecting the Gate attendants requests. Drinks service is treated as if they have never seen free Alcohol before. Upon landing there was a mad rush for Economy to get off the plane so much so that the FA had to stand with both hands blocking the alley until Business had deplaned.
Old May 10, 2012, 8:04 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
Yeah. I agree. I wasn't trying to be rude. It's just the way it is. Culture difference or lack of exposure. If you don't mind then it's cool. No harm no foul.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.