Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Emirates Chooses Italy as European Hub

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2008, 1:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, FB Plat, EK Gold, BonvoyAmb

Read into to it as you like

To me it is more like EK wanted more slots for more dailies-- why the word Hub is there I dont know.

http://www.7days.ae/storydetails.php...ubai%20airline

Dubai’s Emirates Airline has chosen Italy as its European hub and has asked for more than 50 weekly landing slots in Milan, Rome and Venice, the Italian government has said.
“Emirates... has chosen Italy as a hub to access Europe,” said Italian undersecretary for economic development Adolfo Urso in a statement.
“Thanks to this agreement, Italy will more easily become a tourist destination for the newly rich from the Gulf and from southeast Asia.”
Urso issued the statement after meeting UAE economy minister Sultan Bin Saeed Al-Mansouri in Abu Dhabi.
Emirates, which currently has less than ten landing slots per week in Italy, has asked for 21 slots in Rome, 21 in Milan and 14 in Venice, the statement said. The group will also launch 28 cargo flights per week.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 1:47 am

Programs: * Alliance Gold
Maybe its harder for them to get slots in other neighbouring countries? Given Alitalia's weakness over the past few years, perhaps slot availability is better there? Also maybe Italy would be a good hub for South American destinations?
Old Nov 25, 2008, 3:17 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards Silver, Egyptair Plus Gold/*A Gold
I would think BCN or MAD would be better suited gateways for South America. EK lacks a European partner for feed anyway. I see EK going thrice daily to MXP, FCO with 77Ws and around 10x weeklies to VCE while AZ reciprocates with a 2x weekly A319.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 3:52 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Wasn't the same thing posted about another European country a while back? May have been Germany.

Also, the same thing was said about Auckland a couple of year ago. Nothing happened about that either.

Cheers,
Rick
Old Nov 25, 2008, 3:54 am

Programs: EK Gold, , FB Gold, Jet Platinum, ICH Royal Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Sheraton Platinum
Originally Posted by directorguy_
I would think BCN or MAD would be better suited gateways for South America. EK lacks a European partner for feed anyway. I see EK going thrice daily to MXP, FCO with 77Ws and around 10x weeklies to VCE while AZ reciprocates with a 2x weekly A319.
If only they would fly to MAD i would be a happy bunny. I have to vsist every 1/4 and there are no direct flights with EK.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 4:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, FB Plat, EK Gold, BonvoyAmb
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Wasn't the same thing posted about another European country a while back? May have been Germany.

Also, the same thing was said about Auckland a couple of year ago. Nothing happened about that either.

Cheers,
Rick
Your right it was Hamburg-
Old Nov 25, 2008, 4:43 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards Gold, BA Executive Club Gold, AA Advantage Gold, VS Flying Club Silver
I think the word hub has been taken out of context. Basically, it is more access for UAE carriers into Italy. For many years Emirates has lobbied for increased access into Italy and things only opened up at the end of last year, which is why FCO and MXP were de-linked this year and a 2nd daily MXP was added.

A 2nd daily FCO is planned for the 2009/10 fiscal year, with an afternoon departure ex-DXB and a red-eye return.

Over time as Emirates builds out its DXB hub it will add 3rd dailies to many of its European cities such as MAN, BHX, ZRH, CDG, FCO, MXP etc. Once more access to Germany is sorted the same will follow for FRA, MUC, DUS etc.

Rgds
Emirates777
Old Nov 25, 2008, 7:43 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards Silver, Egyptair Plus Gold/*A Gold
Hopefully Etihad won't get the same ideas and serve newly-opened markets with high frequencies since their network isn't that well developed yet.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 9:55 am

Programs: KM P, DL S | SPG G, HH S | Hertz PC, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by directorguy_
Hopefully Etihad won't get the same ideas and serve newly-opened markets with high frequencies since their network isn't that well developed yet.
Italian press reported that Etihad will get 7 flights a week from FCO and 7 from MXP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.