Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

EK first class - Is it a "real" first class?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EK first class - Is it a "real" first class?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2006, 9:56 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by sithlord
Looking for discount rates for biz and first to dubai and beyond but don't know of any consolidators in the us. Anyone know of such consolidators or travel agencies?
Don't believe there are any, mainly because EK offers a nonstop service to Dubai, and therefore can charge higher fares.

Cheers
Old Jan 9, 2006, 12:27 pm
CPL

Programs: LX HON, EK Gold, Starwood Platinum, Avis Chairmans Club, etc.
In my opinion a flat bed in first class is de rigeur with any leading carrier. As a result, the only EK aircraft worth flying on a longhaul flight is the A340-500. The old 777 and A330 seats are quite frankly a disaster for First Class of a leading carrier; personally, I prefer a lie-flat business seat to that. They also have the same issue in C-Class: compared to other leading carriers the seats are very uncomfortable and have simply stood still in time (e.g., who has 7 seats in an A330 row?). Having said all that, it probably depends on what you are looking for in F-Class; in my case privacy and a good night's sleep is more important to me than the IFE or other amenities.

As far as service and food is concerned, I would term Emirates average, but certainly not exceptional.

As a result, although I am EK Gold (because I take about 40 or so regional connecting flights to and from DXB with them every year for lack of choice), other than the ZRH route (I don't fly to the US and Australia from DXB) I avoid flying EK long-haul F-Class.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by CPL
In my opinion a flat bed in first class is de rigeur with any leading carrier. As a result, the only EK aircraft worth flying on a longhaul flight is the A340-500. The old 777 and A330 seats are quite frankly a disaster for First Class of a leading carrier; personally, I prefer a lie-flat business seat to that. They also have the same issue in C-Class: compared to other leading carriers the seats are very uncomfortable and have simply stood still in time (e.g., who has 7 seats in an A330 row?). Having said all that, it probably depends on what you are looking for in F-Class; in my case privacy and a good night's sleep is more important to me than the IFE or other amenities.

As far as service and food is concerned, I would term Emirates average, but certainly not exceptional.

As a result, although I am EK Gold (because I take about 40 or so regional connecting flights to and from DXB with them every year for lack of choice), other than the ZRH route (I don't fly to the US and Australia from DXB) I avoid flying EK long-haul F-Class.
The new 77W has flat bed seats in F class. It flies to quite a few cities in Europe / Far East. Might be worth a try

Cheers
Old Jan 19, 2006, 3:54 am

Programs: Amex Plat, SPG Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*, BA Blue, United Blue, Emirates Blue
Can't agree with some of the posts about the 77W seat not being as good as BA's F seat - it's every bit as good but the ICE entertainment system on EK wins by a mile. Agree that the 345 suite is the best F product in the sky, IMHO. Service is a bit patchy I reckon - it can be easily as good as BA if not better, but can also be indifferent, depending on the crew. The biggest problem I have encountered with EK is baggage, probably because we use them mainly between SYD and AKL and both ends are handled by agents who seem to delight in leaving our bags on until the airports are about to close . Added value items like chauffeur drive make EK de rigeur for us. It's definitely a real F product though on the 77W and 345, to answer the OP's question in part.
Old Jan 19, 2006, 1:51 pm

Programs: MileagePlus 1K, HHonors Platinum, Bonvoy Gold
EK first class is a treat!

Originally Posted by cdsilva
Stay awake on the 77W and enjoy all the amenities. Sleep on the A332 leg. Unfortunately, if you're coming from BKK, the 77W flight leaves at 2:20am. The 77W is more comfortable to sleep in than the A332, but then again everything else is nicer.
Flew on EK 385 (1:20 AM flight) from BKK to DXB and had a brand new 77W (2-class). Beautiful plane with wood paneling around the windows (at least in J class).

Back on topic...

On following day's flight from DXB to CDG on 772 was upgraded to first class. First class was wonderful. Champagne served was Dom Perignon, meals were from cart service, appetizers included lobster. Personal TV screen in first was huge. Would definitely say first class is "real" and makes US carrier's first class seem absolutely fake. My wife still raves about the service.
Old Jan 19, 2006, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by airlineaddict
Flew on EK 385 (1:20 AM flight) from BKK to DXB and had a brand new 77W (2-class). Beautiful plane with wood paneling around the windows (at least in J class).

Back on topic...

On following day's flight from DXB to CDG on 772 was upgraded to first class. First class was wonderful. Champagne served was Dom Perignon, meals were from cart service, appetizers included lobster. Personal TV screen in first was huge. Would definitely say first class is "real" and makes US carrier's first class seem absolutely fake. My wife still raves about the service.
Welcome to FT.

The wood paneling is in F/J on the 772 / 77W (not sure about 345)

Cheers
Old Jan 26, 2006, 6:24 am

Programs: A3 Gold,
I had my first Emirates flight last week on EK 418 BKK-SYD in first and was very pleased. Was greeted with Dom Perignon ‘98, and offered amenity kit, newspapers, leather bound menu, dates and coffee, and PJs within minutes of taking seat 1K. The crew was great, with a refined service style which wouldn’t be out of place in a posh New York or London hotel. I imagine some find this chilly compared to the ultra-attentive SQ standard, but quite frankly it was something of a relief after a weekend of non-stop “wai”-ing at the Pen in Bangkok. (Hey, I’m a New Yorker, whaddya want.)

Dinner was elegantly presented (love the oversized tray tables), with nice caviar, a very fresh salad, so-so chicken, and a very yummy fruit-oriented dessert. Good wines, I stuck mostly with the Dom.

ICE is great. I rarely avail myself of AVOD, but managed to get through about half of “War of the Worlds” and could actually hear the dialogue through the good headset (noise reducing I assume).

I like the 77W seat a lot. Very comfortable sitting, and just one touch of a button to flatten the thing out. With the privacy shield raised, you are nearly completely secluded in a window seat. (Only quibble is with the “mini-bar” which is a cute idea but ultimately a waste of space. This might serve some function on, say, UA where the cabin crew might disappear for hours on end but with great EK service what is the point of having unchilled juice stored in your seat? It just takes away space for your own stuff, of which there is essentially none.)

Anyway, I changed into my comfy sleep suit, grabbed an extra pillow, curled up with my book and DP, and was pretty much in heaven. I asked the purser to not wake me for breakfast service, which I slept through. We were a bit delayed and had to circle Sydney for an extra 30 minutes, and the crew happily gave me the full (admittedly skimpy) breakfast service when I did get up.

Limo service at Sydney worked great, comfy Holden sedan waiting for me as promised.

Overall a great flight. ^
Old Jan 26, 2006, 6:52 am

Did you have to go to the EK counter to identify yourself at SYD or were you welcomed by a chauffeur with your name on a card?

I will be there in a few days, DXB-SYD A340-500 in F, and have prebooked the limo.

Thanks.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 10:44 am

Programs: Too many...and an Amanjunkie
Originally Posted by sic incognito
Did you have to go to the EK counter to identify yourself at SYD or were you welcomed by a chauffeur with your name on a card?

I will be there in a few days, DXB-SYD A340-500 in F, and have prebooked the limo.

Thanks.
From my experience the limo driver will be waiting for you with your name on a sign near the exit of the arrival hall. Then you have to walk some meters to the limo parking area nearby to reach the Holden ...

Enjoy the flight, it will be a great experience. It will be the first time that you will complain and ask for compensation from EK because the real flight duration is shorter than the one published in the timetable .

Last edited by ngfan; Jan 26, 2006 at 11:02 am
Old Jan 26, 2006, 10:47 am

Programs: Too many...and an Amanjunkie
Originally Posted by JFKSYD2004
...comfy Holden sedan waiting for me as promised...
Actually I wasn't too happy to see a Holden with all the black BMW's and Merc's parked around...
Old Jan 26, 2006, 10:53 am

Okay, I will admit; I had to google for Holden...
Old Jan 26, 2006, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by sic incognito

Thanks.
With the exception of DXB, when you go the chauffer drive lounge, the driver is holding your name on a card. You need to go to the EK desk if you can't see them.

Cheers
Old Jan 26, 2006, 10:11 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, SPG Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*, BA Blue, United Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by ngfan
Actually I wasn't too happy to see a Holden with all the black BMW's and Merc's parked around...
It varies. We've had BMWs and Mercs as well as slightly jaded Fords and Holdens, and once when we told them we had golf clubs they sent a people mover (mini-van in the US?) with a trailer attached!
Old Jan 27, 2006, 12:33 am

Programs: ME, EK, LH, IC
Excellent report JFKSYD2004. Glad you enjoyed your flight on EK.
Old Jan 27, 2006, 4:02 am

Originally Posted by sadiqhassan
With the exception of DXB, when you go the chauffer drive lounge, the driver is holding your name on a card. You need to go to the EK desk if you can't see them.

Cheers
Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.