Plastic Cutlery

Old Oct 30, 04, 9:24 am
wos
Original Poster

Programs: FD PE, AF Blue, SA Gold, EK Gold
Plastic Cutlery

DO all EK flights in Biz serve the meal with plastic utensils? I have travelled on the Glasgow flight a couple of times now and always been presented with plastic knife, fork & spoon surely this can change and has done so on other airlines.
Old Oct 30, 04, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Flights to & from the UK use plastic utensils (I believe any complaints re this need to be dirceted to David Blunkett, btw).

Have used several EK flights beyond DXB to SE Asia and these all use metal utensils, at least in C.

The stupid flaw in this is that in the EK C lounge at DXB (which is post-security) has loads of metal knives & forks on the go, so any prospective terrorist can arm himself with a butter knife & teaspoon in the EK lounge, board a flight to the UK then cause whatever havoc is possible
Old Oct 30, 04, 11:36 am

All my flights with EK out of Germany to DXB and to Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and Sri Lanka have metal utensils in all classes.
Never saw plastic utensils.
Must be only on UK routes (and US?).
Old Oct 30, 04, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by dusordua
All my flights with EK out of Germany to DXB and to Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and Sri Lanka have metal utensils in all classes.
Never saw plastic utensils.
Must be only on UK routes (and US?).
I think ex-US the restriction just applies to knives, but it's rare that I fly from the US to anywhere other than the UK (all plastic rules apply) so can't confirm further.
Old Oct 31, 04, 8:53 am

We can only begin to imagine the horrors of what a metal spoon can do on a aircraft. Thank god they are forbidden. Thank God for Bush.

(None of the above was said with any sincerity.)
Old Oct 31, 04, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-PlatLife, BA-Gold, SPG-LTP, HL-DIA
All UK flights in/out - have plastic utensils.

Not just EK. All airlines.

Including the Concorde then.
Old Nov 2, 04, 2:15 am

Programs: ME, EK, LH, IC
On the few trips that I have taken on EK to Dubai (out of Beirut), metal utensils were used in C.

On all my BA trips out of Beirut to LHR, plastic utensils are used in C. On my trip to YVR on BA this past September, plastic was also used in C.
Old Nov 2, 04, 9:20 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by Oceanbound222
We can only begin to imagine the horrors of what a metal spoon can do on a aircraft. Thank god they are forbidden. Thank God for Bush.

(None of the above was said with any sincerity.)
Flew with SK and LH into the US this year and metal was used both in C and Y, curtains to separate the service classes where drawn an closed too. I guess the rules only apply to NA carriers nowadays.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: