Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emirates trip report

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2004, 10:40 pm
Original Poster

Post Emirates trip report

On thursday, July 29. I will make my next flights with EK.

Because EK is rapidly changing and expanding and more new customers are flying this airline, I like to make a trip report, so everybody can have a picture what to expect and if it pays off to be a skywards member.

Here are my flight details:

29.07. Duesseldorf - Dubai - Johannesburg and return on 18.08.2004.

We are two, travelling together. I am a skywards gold member, my partner skywards blue (regular).
We are booked in economy. As skywards members, we were able to make seat reservations: window and aisle on the A330 DUS-DXB and on the A343 DXB-JNB.
It will be my first flight on an Emirates - A343.

We expect a full flight out of DUS (summer holiday season) and an overbooked flight from DXB to JNB. The availability on this leg is 0 in economy and 0 in business.

Because of my gold status I hope for an upgrade from DXB to JNB.

I have learned in the past: don't expect too much, but be happy if you get more than you have paid for. So far I got 5 operational upgrades from EK.

More to come.
Old Jul 28, 2004, 3:55 am
Original Poster

First surprise

Checked the availability for my flights tomorrow and noticed, that on both flights (DUS-DXB abd DXB - JNB) they cancelled yesterday the first class and now are offernig only business and economy.
Are they switchig the aircrafts from three class to two class configuration? Do they have A340 aircrafts in two class configuration?
I think the answer is no.
If I check the availability for the incoming aircraft from DXB to DUS tomorrow and the return flight from JNB to DXB, they are still offering seats in first class.
So on both flights we will have an aircraft with a 3 class configuration, but only two classes will be offered.
IMO they have no first class passengers, they will upgrade their business passengers to the first class cabin and will fill up the business class section with economy class passengers, because they oversold the economy class.
So we have to expect very full flights!
Old Jul 28, 2004, 10:56 am

Hi Dusordua

Sounds like an upgrade might be coming your way tomorrow. I tried to find out how the priority is when upgrades are given out in DXB. Ofcourse your Skywards Gold should do the trick but would love to see those regulations op upgrades on EK.

Have a great flight tomorrow, will be following your trip report closely...
Old Jul 30, 2004, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Trip report #2

We arrived at DUS airport early. The emirates counters just opened. Some people waited at the 4 economy check in, nobody at business check in. So I was the first to check in there.
Without any questione I was told, that we were upgraded to the business class cabin, but with only economy class service.
This was exactly what I hoped, after they changed the service on this flight from 3 classes to two classes.
We were invited into the British Airlines lounge. It is a nice, big lounge with some basic snacks and beverages.
The flight left 30 minutes late, because of a late connecting flight.
I must say that I like the upgrade of the A330 business class. There are the same old seats, but the seat pitch is much, much better now. Very good!
The economy service was fine, nothing to complain about. So it was a very pleasent flight, which arrived only 10 minutes late in Dubai.
The aircraft was completly full, just one seat in first (business on this flight) was empty.
In Dubai we visited the business class lounge, which is on of the best lounges I have ever visited.

In my next post I will write about the flight from DXB to JNB.
Old Jul 30, 2004, 10:55 pm
Original Poster

trip report #3

The waiting time of 3,5 hours for the next flight are fine, if you can use such a nice lounge.
At the entrance to the gate waiting room are always long lines. They take your boarding pass, run it through a "machine" and then you will know if you are upgraded or not: no - - we kept our original seats in economy.

Boarding the aircraft is always chaotic. Emirates makes an anouncement, that they will board families with small children, then first, business class and members of skywards, but this is only theoreticly correct. When the door to the gangway opens, nobody checks the boarding passes, so everybody storms in. If you like to be sure to get an overhead bin for your luggage, try to wait not too far away from the gangway entrance.

The aircraft was a A340-300, one of 8 aircrafts Singapore Airlines used before and Emirates leased 4 or 5 month ago. I was the first time on board of a Emirates 340-300. Inside the cabin you will not recognice, that this aircraft was used by another airline before, everything looks like "Emirates" on a A330.

The flight was late again, we waited nearly one hour on bord of the aircraft for 20-30 passengers from a late connecting flight, which was uncomfortable (better to wait in the gate area and not on board of a cramped aircraft).

Flight time to JNB was about 8:10 hours. Service on flights, which are leaving during the night in DXB, is always minimal. Drink and food service (small sandwich) after departure and then a better breakfast service before arrival.

The seats in economy on this 340-300 are better than on the 330-200. I think they are more comfortable (I do not like the 330 seats) and the seat pitch is bigger (about 33" ?). One important improvement: the box for the inflight entertainment in front of your feet is placed much better, now you find enough room for your feet under every seat.

As I told before, Emirates changed this flight from a 3 class service to a two class service on short notice. But this time they did not fill up the business class cabin with economy class passengers, they had more than enough business passengers and used for them the first class cabin too.

We arrived 35 minutes late in JNB, the flight was o.k. some speep was possible.

For the next report you will have to wait 3 weeks, when we will start our return trip.
Old Aug 20, 2004, 3:30 am
Original Poster

trip report # 4

For the return flight from Johannesburg to Düsseldorf via Dubai we arrived about 2, 5, hours before departure time at the airport.
Very long lines in front of the Emirates counters. I showed my Skywards gold card and we could proceed to the first class counter without a stop.
We got our boarding cards for economy class with our reserved seats for both legs of the flight.
We were invited to visit the Baobab lounge from South African Airways, where we spent the waiting time with some beers/coffees and German newspapers.
We went to the departure gate early (only one departure gate for the bus transfer to the aircraft). Soon a long line formed behind us.
We were the 5th and 6th passenger to pass the departure gate. The gate agent noticed on the monitor that our seat numbers have changed: it was an upgrade to business class for both of us!
The aircraft was an A340-300 and now I can confirm, that the business class seats on this aircraft are the same like on the A330-200, same configuration 2-3-2 with the upgraded seat pitch.
The seats are by far not the best business class seats compared with other top airlines, but the bigger seat pitch makes them now more comfortable.
Economy class was full, business class only 70%, not sure about first class.
We left JNB and arrived at DXB exactly on time.
The service during the flight was great, so was the in flight entertainment. The crew was very friendly.
For dinner we had lamb and prawns, both very tasty.
Before arrival we both skipped the breakfast, knowing that better snacks were waiting for us in the Business Class lounge in Dubai, where we had to wait for 3 hours for the connecting flight.
Old Aug 20, 2004, 11:03 pm
Original Poster

trip report # 5

45 minutes before departure we went to the departure gate for our flight to Düsseldorf, where a long line was waiting inside the terminal, to get into the departure waiting room - no fast track for business or first class passengers. Everybody has to stand in this line, where your passport and boarding pass are checked.
Expectations were not high for another upgrade on the last leg of our trip.
But to our surprise we again were upgraded to business class at the gate!

Boarding in DXB was chaotic at always. No anouncments, somebody opened the door to the gangway and everybody stormed in.
The aircraft was an A330-200. Economy was 100% full, so was business class, first class about 50%. I noticed lot of passengers which were upgraded from economy to business class.

The flight left 20 minutes late because of heavy traffic in the morning hours.
Again we skipped the breakfast and waited for the lunch menu, which was exellent. The bar service was slow in the beginning (early morning departure), but very busy later on. Again we had a very friendly crew.
We arrived in DUS the same 20 minutes late, which we lost at departure.
We hoped for a quick arrival of our luggage, because of the priority tags we got in JNB, but the tags were useless. Our bags arrived somewhere in the middle of all economy luggage.

All together it was a very pleasant flight expirience with Emirates Airlines.
On the 4 legs of our trips we were upgraded 3 times!
The skywards program has its ups and downs. Compared to other (US)programs, you need too many miles for free flights, specialy for business or first class flights.
But it is well worth to get gold status, because then you are treated well.
I never asked for an upgrade on this trip, but my gold status brought me always near the top of the upgrade list (even together with my regular skywards partner).
Emirates is popular for economy class pasengers and they take every passenger they can get. An overbooked economy class happens quite often, so chances are good for an upgrade. In the last two years I was upgraded 8 times, on other airlines (with same status) I got 2 upgrades during this time.
Because I have to pay myself for my flights, I have to buy economy tickets. So I am very happy with the Skywards program, which gives me more comfort in the air!

In two weeks I have to make the same trip again. I will not write a trip report , but I will let you know if the gold status helps us to fly business class again.
Old Aug 21, 2004, 1:26 am

Great report dusordua

Great reading about your experiences, and all the upgrades.
Old Aug 22, 2004, 1:08 am

Programs: some
Great report, thanks ^

Might be worth posting as a regular trip report in the trip reports forum.

It seems like EK is very generous with their upgrades, which of course is great
Old Aug 30, 2004, 7:28 am
Suspended

I am jealous!

I have never been op-upgraded while flying United. The last time was my last flight with NW last year in December... .

Maybe I should switch to Skywards
Old Aug 30, 2004, 7:45 pm

Programs: UA1KMM, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, EY Gold, QR Gold
Great post! ^

I really enjoy EK and hope they add more flights to the US soon!
Old Sep 3, 2004, 12:16 am
Original Poster

I promised you all to report my upgrade expirience on my next flight to Johannesburg, which will start today.

I will start a new thread for this: Advantages for a skywards gold member

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.