Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Voice calls in Dubai Airport (WIfi/not carrier respective)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2024, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Hi guys,

I think you've seen that recently and even in a couple of days will be flying Emirates to India. My parents also flew Emirates last month.

There is one question I had about Dubai that is not prevalent in other airports. See, you can connect to the Wifi and surf the web with no problems.

However, in terms of audio calls (FaceTime, Messenger, Whatsapp), that's where the challenge comes. We can make calls but despite the strong internet connection (Again not talking about cell phone carrier as a transit passenger), the audio is quite spotty or you hear absolutely nothing. This was evident when I was flying back to SFO (from Chennai) in November during my transit halt, my dad tried to call from Dubai but no luck.

Is there a reason why that is the case? I've never had this problem in Singapore, Hong Kong, Seoul-Incheon or any European airports to my experience. Could it be UAE government related or some other reason? I don't believe the high volume of folks using the Wifi system has anything to do with it, though I could be wrong.

Anybody else experience this problem?
Old Mar 25, 2024, 12:14 pm

Programs: EK skywards Gold, BA, VS silver
It's quite simple - Dubai blocks Messenger, WhatsApp and Facetime calls - text messages are allowed though. I believe that there are some VOIP apps that do work but I do not know which ones and have never used one.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 12:17 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

WhatsApp calls are blocked :-

https://www.arabianbusiness.com/indu...u-need-to-know

Skype seems to work for me though.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 1:40 pm

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Botim although not great is an app regularly used in the UAE. You can use it for phone calls/video calls etc. works on phones and laptops.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JudeS
It's quite simple - Dubai blocks Messenger, WhatsApp and Facetime calls - text messages are allowed though. I believe that there are some VOIP apps that do work but I do not know which ones and have never used one.
That's good to know. When I researched, that's something I found. It's quite annoying to be honest. Even talked to my dad and often times he said voice call is no good. I'll be traveling in a couple of days so I'll check if I can explore some apps based on suggestions.

Originally Posted by Will08
Botim although not great is an app regularly used in the UAE. You can use it for phone calls/video calls etc. works on phones and laptops.
Cool, thanks, I'll check it out. Still it'll be useful even if on a layover and as long as it works.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 2:00 pm
Xlr

Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
Zoom

Have you tried Zoom or Teams? You probably already have those installed.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 2:07 am

Programs: Amex Cent, PC Royal Amb, Hertz Pres C, *A Gold, *Wood Gold, Hilton Gold, BA, KLM, Marriott,
Zoom and Teams work perfectly in UAE. However, everything will work if you use a VPN.
extramileage likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.