Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Interline agreement with UA

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2024, 2:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates Gold, United Silver, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Gold
Interline agreement with UA

Traveling from MLE to DXB to IAH on EK (first class) - Arrives into IAH at 4:50 PM
United airlines flight from IAH to SDF (on a separate ticket) leaves at 6:35 pm
Questions:
1. In light if the recent partnership and interline agreement with EK and UA, will the agent in MLE be able to produce a baggage ticket with SDF as the final destination if presented with the UA e-ticket? I did call UA and they were able to link the flights under "other service information". However, when I called EK to confirm, they were unable to see the linked flights in their system.
2. If the agent in MLE is able to produce the baggage ticket with SDF as the final destination, do the bags need to be re-claimed in IAH or will they go directly to SDF?
TIA!
Old Mar 25, 2024, 4:45 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

You'll always need to claim your bags at IAH, even if they've been tagged to SDF. You'll then need to clear US customs. You can then use the bag drop outside customs, so you don't need to go to the UA check-in area.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 5:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates Gold, United Silver, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
You'll always need to claim your bags at IAH, even if they've been tagged to SDF. You'll then need to clear US customs. You can then use the bag drop outside customs, so you don't need to go to the UA check-in area.
I was told two different procedures when I spoke to the UA reps. One rep stated that I would need to re-claim the bags at IAH and another stated that IAH has a program (one-step) whereby connecting passengers do not need to re-claim the bags at IAH but must go through customs. I did some research into the program but it gets confusing as it states that the connections need to be two United flights but does not say anything about whether the initial flight can be a "partner" (EK) airline that connects to a United flight.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 5:32 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Moflav
I was told two different procedures when I spoke to the UA reps. One rep stated that I would need to re-claim the bags at IAH and another stated that IAH has a program (one-step) whereby connecting passengers do not need to re-claim the bags at IAH but must go through customs. I did some research into the program but it gets confusing as it states that the connections need to be two United flights but does not say anything about whether the initial flight can be a "partner" (EK) airline that connects to a United flight.
If your connection is international to domestic at any airport in the US, you will need to claim your bags at your first US port of entry no matter what PNR’s you have or if your bags have been tagged thru.

Some airports and carriers in the US allow intl to intl transit where you must pass immigration, customs and TSA without claiming your bags. I believe this is what the agent was confused about.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 5:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
If your connection is international to domestic at any airport in the US, you will need to claim your bags at your first US port of entry no matter what PNR’s you have or if your bags have been tagged thru.

Some airports and carriers in the US allow intl to intl transit where you must pass immigration, customs and TSA without claiming your bags. I believe this is what the agent was confused about.
Thanks all for the information- most helpful!
Old Mar 28, 2024, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by Moflav
Traveling from MLE to DXB to IAH on EK (first class) - Arrives into IAH at 4:50 PM
United airlines flight from IAH to SDF (on a separate ticket) leaves at 6:35 pm
Questions:
1. In light if the recent partnership and interline agreement with EK and UA, will the agent in MLE be able to produce a baggage ticket with SDF as the final destination if presented with the UA e-ticket? I did call UA and they were able to link the flights under "other service information". However, when I called EK to confirm, they were unable to see the linked flights in their system.
2. If the agent in MLE is able to produce the baggage ticket with SDF as the final destination, do the bags need to be re-claimed in IAH or will they go directly to SDF?
TIA!
Old Mar 28, 2024, 9:35 pm

My observations based on similar EK to UA connection experience with 2 separate tickets at Houston:

1. Houston immigration lines are long and can take substantial time to clear. It took me 1 HR to clear immigration.
2. EK. will help tag the bags till final destination. As per US rules, bags need to be collected at first US port of entry and then hand them to the respective carrier for domestic connection. I was asked by UA agent while handing over bags to change EK Bag tags to UA bag tags.
3. UA transfer desk is super slow (with long queues) in late evening handling rush of International to Domestic connections. Took me 1HR 15MIN to get the bags tagged again.

Experience tells me 1HR45 MIN International to domestic connection at Houston is too short, full of anxiety, and risky. Minimum 3HRS plus is recommended.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 5:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by shavik2003
My observations based on similar EK to UA connection experience with 2 separate tickets at Houston:

1. Houston immigration lines are long and can take substantial time to clear. It took me 1 HR to clear immigration.
2. EK. will help tag the bags till final destination. As per US rules, bags need to be collected at first US port of entry and then hand them to the respective carrier for domestic connection. I was asked by UA agent while handing over bags to change EK Bag tags to UA bag tags.
3. UA transfer desk is super slow (with long queues) in late evening handling rush of International to Domestic connections. Took me 1HR 15MIN to get the bags tagged again.

Experience tells me 1HR45 MIN International to domestic connection at Houston is too short, full of anxiety, and risky. Minimum 3HRS plus is recommended.
Thank you for your advice! Following your suggestion, we booked a domestic flight the next day.
Cheers!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.