Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Emirates aircraft - What has new seats and what has old?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2024, 10:25 pm
Original Poster

Hi there,

It's been a while since I have accessed this side of the forum. Last I flew Emirates was in 2014, and more recently in 2022 to Dubai, and again in 2023 to Dubai & India (Bangalore/Chennai). I'll be flying them again in March (parents have just gone on Emirates in February).

I've noticed compared to the last time (before 2022) I flew that the A380 seats are different and they had the touchscreen & touchscreen remote (colored white). My dad took A6-EVO and my mom is currently on A6-EVR on EK226 to Dubai.

Also, on the recent 2023 trip to India, there are MANY Boeing 777's that have various interiors (some old, some new). I flew on A6-EGP and A6-END to Bangalore and from Chennai respectively and both of them have Economy Class seats with the touchscreen (all black colored, remote is also colored black). Some Boeing 777's have the newest touchscreens (and probably no remote I guess). Similarly, I guess A6-EGR, which my dad took to MAA on EK544 had.

Does anyone have a link on the registration series which have the new Y class seats with/without touchscreen remote and colors? The thing is Emirates is a good airline, but especially when you go to India, on FR24, you will see the upcoming registration, but you will NOT know what seats are in that 777.

This will be helpful.

NOTE: I am also traveling on Emirates to Delhi and onward to Varanasi in late March thru early April and would like to get an idea of what may be expected. I am aware Emirates has a large fleet, so understandably may be hard to know what has what. This will be helpful if anyone has the list
Old Feb 17, 2024, 10:36 pm

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=1381310462
Old Feb 18, 2024, 8:34 am

A6-EPA to A6-EPZ and A6-EQA to A6-EQG have Y-class seats with the white border around the IFE screens and the white IFE remote, with 2x USB-A ports and 1x power outlet.

The GameChanger 777s, of which there are only 9 (A6-EQH to A6-EQP) have the newest economy class seat, with the larger IFE screen, 1x USB-A and 1x USB-C port. The IFE remote and power outlet have been removed on these.

The Y seats you're referring to with the black border around the IFE screen and the black IFE remote are on select A6-EGx series aircraft and fitted to all from A6-ENA to A6-ENZ.
Old Feb 18, 2024, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by murtaza12
A6-EPA to A6-EPZ and A6-EQA to A6-EQG have Y-class seats with the white border around the IFE screens and the white IFE remote, with 2x USB-A ports and 1x power outlet.

The GameChanger 777s, of which there are only 9 (A6-EQH to A6-EQP) have the newest economy class seat, with the larger IFE screen, 1x USB-A and 1x USB-C port. The IFE remote and power outlet have been removed on these.

The Y seats you're referring to with the black border around the IFE screen and the black IFE remote are on select A6-EGx series aircraft and fitted to all from A6-ENA to A6-ENZ.
I looked at the list provided and I can tell you, it's extremely confusing. Yes, it has information what planes have what as far as capacity goes. However, it's very vague on the Y-class seat part.

My dad for context was on A6-EPQ from MAA-DXB on EK543 and I guess unlike when I got A6-END, he had the white border IFE screen (and the same Voyager 3D maps that are found on the A380's I've flown on).

If you mean select EGx series, I can tell you EGP and likely EGR have them. My mom is on A6-EGH as we speak to TRV and I guess she has gotten the much older seats (with the old school remote, but still a reasonably good IFE). I remember this because in 2011 I flew A6-ECX and A6-EGB back when SFO was served with EK 777's before the advent of the A380 in late 2014.

I understand Indian routes can be unpredictable as to what 777's are rostered, but I'll be flying EK512/513 late March and into early April, and based on the history, it looks like commonly the EPx birds are deployed but also the ENx birds too.

Can you update the list with more clarity? I know EK is getting a lot of new planes in the coming years, but with the current ones (still good), it'd be helpful. Not just the 777's but also A380's.
Old Feb 18, 2024, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by EKfanatic
I looked at the list provided and I can tell you, it's extremely confusing. Yes, it has information what planes have what as far as capacity goes. However, it's very vague on the Y-class seat part.

My dad for context was on A6-EPQ from MAA-DXB on EK543 and I guess unlike when I got A6-END, he had the white border IFE screen (and the same Voyager 3D maps that are found on the A380's I've flown on).

If you mean select EGx series, I can tell you EGP and likely EGR have them. My mom is on A6-EGH as we speak to TRV and I guess she has gotten the much older seats (with the old school remote, but still a reasonably good IFE). I remember this because in 2011 I flew A6-ECX and A6-EGB back when SFO was served with EK 777's before the advent of the A380 in late 2014.

I understand Indian routes can be unpredictable as to what 777's are rostered, but I'll be flying EK512/513 late March and into early April, and based on the history, it looks like commonly the EPx birds are deployed but also the ENx birds too.

Can you update the list with more clarity? I know EK is getting a lot of new planes in the coming years, but with the current ones (still good), it'd be helpful. Not just the 777's but also A380's.
Nowhere in your message do I see a THANKYOU to Murtaza12 for creating such an incredible and FREE resource. You sound extremely ungrateful.
Old Feb 18, 2024, 2:48 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Unbelievable...
Old Feb 18, 2024, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the information! However, please also check the questions I also mentioned above, just for information. The list is a little confusing

Hopefully for the DEL routes (512/513), I will hopefully get one of the EPx birds.
murtaza12 likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2024, 11:07 pm

Thanks for the information! However, please also check the questions I also mentioned above, just for information. The list is a little confusing

Hopefully for the DEL routes (512/513), I will hopefully get one of the EPx birds.
I'm still trying to find a way to easily incorporate this information in the sheet without making them too overwhelming and difficult to understand.

To expand on my comment in post #3. Hope this clears things up.

A6-EBx series = OLD economy class with square IFE touchscreen (gray borders) and gray remote with numpad - NO USB or power outlets (This is NOT widescreen, it's 4:3) - Example Photo / Example Photo 2
The only exception to this is A6-EBW which has newer widescreen IFE like ECx series

A6-ECx series = Economy class with widescreen IFE touchscreen (gray borders) and gray remote with numpad - 1x USB-A port and 1x power outlet - Example Photo

A6-EGx series = Same as A6-ECx, but EGP onwards has newer IFE touchscreen (black borders) with the black game controller style remote - 1x USB-A port and 1x power outlet
The only exception to this is A6-EGE which has the newer black IFE

A6-ENx series = Economy class with widescreen IFE touchscreen (black borders) and black game controller style remote - 1x USB-A port and 1x power outlet (same as newer A6-EGx series) - Example Photo

A6-EPx series and EQx series till EQG = Economy class with updated widescreen IFE touchscreen (white borders) and white game controller style remote - 2x USB-A ports and 1x power outlet - Example Photo

A6-EQH to EQP (GameChanger) series = Latest Economy class with larger IFE touchscreen (white borders) - 1x USB-A port and 1x USB-C port - Example Photo
IFE remote and power outlet have been removed
buddyj, ZRHMD11 and EKfanatic like this.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 12:52 am
Original Poster

I'm still trying to find a way to easily incorporate this information in the sheet without making them too overwhelming and difficult to understand.

To expand on my comment in post #3. Hope this clears things up.

A6-EBx series = OLD economy class with square IFE touchscreen (gray borders) and gray remote with numpad - NO USB or power outlets (This is NOT widescreen, it's 4:3) - Example Photo / Example Photo 2
The only exception to this is A6-EBW which has newer widescreen IFE like ECx series

A6-ECx series = Economy class with widescreen IFE touchscreen (gray borders) and gray remote with numpad - 1x USB-A port and 1x power outlet - Example Photo

A6-EGx series = Same as A6-ECx, but EGP onwards has newer IFE touchscreen (black borders) with the black game controller style remote - 1x USB-A port and 1x power outlet
The only exception to this is A6-EGE which has the newer black IFE

A6-ENx series = Economy class with widescreen IFE touchscreen (black borders) and black game controller style remote - 1x USB-A port and 1x power outlet (same as newer A6-EGx series) - Example Photo

A6-EPx series and EQx series till EQG = Economy class with updated widescreen IFE touchscreen (white borders) and white game controller style remote - 2x USB-A ports and 1x power outlet - Example Photo

A6-EQH to EQP (GameChanger) series = Latest Economy class with larger IFE touchscreen (white borders) - 1x USB-A port and 1x USB-C port - Example Photo
IFE remote and power outlet have been removed
Thanks very much again! This is very straightforward for my reference. I'll keep this information in mind such that when I am in DXB, I will be able to check FR24 for what registration will operate EK512, and when I am in India, also check what operates 512 to take me back as 513. Unlike other airlines I've frequently flown on, EK has a much larger fleet so it's a little harder to know the consistency as such.

Likewise, I will be checking my parents' registrations from India which are from TRV on the 777. My mom confirmed she got the old seats on A6-EGH, but she still enjoyed it nonetheless. I think A6-ECZ, which she took on EK543 from Chennai to Dubai in November 2023 had the same thing as the recent EK522 flight she took. My dad back in early December got A6-EPQ, which sounds like it had the white border touchscreen but also the same Voyager 3D extensive info maps like what you'll get on the A380's from SFO/LAX, etc.

Can you please also put the same information out for the A380's if you have? I remember back in 2014, I took A6-EET & A6-EOC, both of which respectively had the wide screen with black borders. More recent times I've taken A6-EVx birds, though my mom while coming back herself in November took A6-EUW, all of which have had the touchscreen and white game controller style remote. The only birds I've taken are A6-EVK, A6-EVG (Nov 2022) & also A6-EVH (Both ways EK226/225 in Nov 2023).

My dad was on A6-EVO this past Wednesday on EK226 before connecting to A6-EGR on EK544 whereas my mom was on A6-EVR on Saturday, connected to A6-EGH Sunday evening. I saw a couple of videos of A6-EVO and A6-EVR where it looks like the Y class seats not only have the remote removed, but it looks like the tray table on the backside is wooden. Can you please confirm this? I'll also be flying next month so wonder what the deal is with the A380's now (I know the ones flying to SFO have Premium Economy now). Sorry if it's a lot of questions but the fleet is so large so it'd be helpful to know what to expect.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 2:10 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Thanks very much again! This is very straightforward for my reference. I'll keep this information in mind such that when I am in DXB, I will be able to check FR24 for what registration will operate EK512, and when I am in India, also check what operates 512 to take me back as 513. Unlike other airlines I've frequently flown on, EK has a much larger fleet so it's a little harder to know the consistency as such.

Likewise, I will be checking my parents' registrations from India which are from TRV on the 777. My mom confirmed she got the old seats on A6-EGH, but she still enjoyed it nonetheless. I think A6-ECZ, which she took on EK543 from Chennai to Dubai in November 2023 had the same thing as the recent EK522 flight she took. My dad back in early December got A6-EPQ, which sounds like it had the white border touchscreen but also the same Voyager 3D extensive info maps like what you'll get on the A380's from SFO/LAX, etc.

Can you please also put the same information out for the A380's if you have? I remember back in 2014, I took A6-EET & A6-EOC, both of which respectively had the wide screen with black borders. More recent times I've taken A6-EVx birds, though my mom while coming back herself in November took A6-EUW, all of which have had the touchscreen and white game controller style remote. The only birds I've taken are A6-EVK, A6-EVG (Nov 2022) & also A6-EVH (Both ways EK226/225 in Nov 2023).

My dad was on A6-EVO this past Wednesday on EK226 before connecting to A6-EGR on EK544 whereas my mom was on A6-EVR on Saturday, connected to A6-EGH Sunday evening. I saw a couple of videos of A6-EVO and A6-EVR where it looks like the Y class seats not only have the remote removed, but it looks like the tray table on the backside is wooden. Can you please confirm this? I'll also be flying next month so wonder what the deal is with the A380's now (I know the ones flying to SFO have Premium Economy now). Sorry if it's a lot of questions but the fleet is so large so it'd be helpful to know what to expect.
What sometimes bothers me with these questions is: what does it matter? You book your flight, eventually you go to the gate and board. And there is your seat! You cannot change the colour of the controller or the shape of the screen surround. I have been pleasantly surprised and also a tad disappointed. It is like it is. And generally you cannot book in such a way to get a certain controller / screen surround or wooden tray table. Too much energy spent on these 'issues'.
Murtaza12 is doing this incredible job in maintaining his amazingly useful spreadsheet.. We should all be grateful to him and not 'demand' extra functionality.
Old Feb 19, 2024, 8:50 am

That information is included in the A380 section of the spreadsheet linked above. Also, while I'm here, thanks to murtaza12 for making the spreadsheet! Very detailed and fascinating to browse through.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by buddyj
That information is included in the A380 section of the spreadsheet linked above. Also, while I'm here, thanks to murtaza12 for making the spreadsheet! Very detailed and fascinating to browse through.
murtaza12 - Thanks again for the spreadsheet. It was indeed useful. I really appreciate it.

Please accept my apologies for all the questions or any confusion I've caused. The spreadsheet makes a ton of sense now.

I guess I can confirm a few things from my parents' experience back in February. Their flights to/from TRV got the older style controller (NOT touch screen remote). My dad flew to MAA on A6-EGR, which had the black border screen/remote on EK544. My mom flew on EK522 on A6-EGH & both of them flew back on A6-ECX (which I remember flying all 3 of us flying back in July 2011 from SFO to DXB).

Now I'm understanding why A6-EVN through A6-EVS have the remote removed. My dad was on EVO last month & my mom was on EVR last month. However, both returned on A6-EVE.

Waiting to see what my flights this month will have. Not particularly bothered about SFO-DXB, but EK512/513, which I think are known to have the EPx birds commonly.
murtaza12 likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2024, 11:42 am

Programs: LH SENATOR
The refit program seems to be quite behind schedule, originally by April this year all the A380's that were supposed to get the refit should have been completed and by now only approx half were done. The idea was 2 aircraft at the time to get the refit, now less than 1 per month is getting the refit
ZRHMD11 likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2024, 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by LXA350
The refit program seems to be quite behind schedule, originally by April this year all the A380's that were supposed to get the refit should have been completed and by now only approx half were done. The idea was 2 aircraft at the time to get the refit, now less than 1 per month is getting the refit
Retrofit program was planned when COVID travel restrictions still existed and were in effect at many countries in EKs network. I don't think even EK anticipated how fast everything would go back to normal.

They were already limited in engineering manpower due to layoffs and they decided to focus more on reactivating older A380s from DWC instead of the retrofit.

Not to mention, many of the 380s required very time consuming wing spar crack inspections and C-Checks, EK decided to combine these procedures with the retrofit. This is the reason many of them took 35-50 days to complete the retrofit instead of just 2-3 weeks like EK had initially stated in the PE launch press release.

They claimed A380 retrofit would be complete by May 2024, but that seems highly unlikely, and unfortunately this will inevitably push the B777 program even further, unless EK starts running both programs simultaneously.
Old Mar 18, 2024, 2:15 am

Besides what Murtaza wrote, I think EK underestimated the whole job.
I highly doubt EK will retrofit all those 67 B777 as planned.
When EK is finish retrofitting the A380, many new A350, B787 and B777 will already be delivered featuring PE.
DYKWIA and murtaza12 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.