Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

[EK NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (Flame Free) 2024

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2024, 4:42 am
Moderator, Emirates
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue

Happy New Year All

Welcome to the EK Forum and the new Newbie thread for 2024.

If you are new to Flyertalk, flying with Emirates for the first time or are just unsure of something to do with Emirates and have a question, then please feel free to post in this thread (No flaming allowed).

You can also have a look at our 2023 thread [EK NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (Flame Free) 2023

From the The EK Forum Moderators and Ambassador team, we hope you have a safe, pleasant and exciting year of flying with Emirates.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 8:09 am

Programs: Skywards
Hi everyone

I've got a bit of a dilemma and I thought I would ask here. I've got a new suitcase set (set of 3 - large, medium and cabin size) delivered and I want to check it in including the box it was delivered in. As it stands, the entire set is packed within each other i.e. large suitcase holds both the medium and cabin sized trolley.

My question is -- is this OK to check-in or will Emirates not allow this. I ask because I remember seeing another airline recently in Hong Kong not allowing this so thought I would get some clarity on this as a quick Google search shows mixed responses.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 11:18 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by S c 0 TT y
Hi everyone

I've got a bit of a dilemma and I thought I would ask here. I've got a new suitcase set (set of 3 - large, medium and cabin size) delivered and I want to check it in including the box it was delivered in. As it stands, the entire set is packed within each other i.e. large suitcase holds both the medium and cabin sized trolley.

My question is -- is this OK to check-in or will Emirates not allow this. I ask because I remember seeing another airline recently in Hong Kong not allowing this so thought I would get some clarity on this as a quick Google search shows mixed responses.
I understand you want to check the entire box with it’s content of 3 suitcases in?
I would have thought that as long as the box falls within the weight / size limits of your allowance and the contents are not on the list of banned items, it does not matter what is in the box. Or is that too simplistic?
S c 0 TT y and larzy1977 like this.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Question - if I book an award ticket in business class (available on my desired date), will there be an opportunity to do a cash upgrade to First? Preferably right after booking, but if not, when? Not until online check-in? At the airport? Any idea how they price these things?

Secondary question - are EK award tickets refundable or changeable without fees?
Old Jan 1, 2024, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA PRO, BA S
What order are mileage auto-upgrades processed in the event only 1 seat opens but multiple people have opted in?

edited for clarity

Last edited by perkerkeem; Jan 4, 2024 at 1:33 pm
Old Jan 3, 2024, 5:47 am

EK only allows input of EK/Qantas Frequent flyer numbers when buying a ticket?

Im with KE and should earn some KE miles when flying with EK.
but option to input other airlines doesnt show up on EK website.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, EK Gold, CX Silver
Cancellation

Hi, Until how long before the flight can you cancel for refund without being a noshow? Is it the same for all ticket types?
I realize that the refund penalty differs by ticket types, but does the cancellation window also change?
Old Jan 5, 2024, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It should normally be "before departure", but I'd verify the language in the fare rules (probably Penalties section). To be safe and not have to potentially fight, I'd probably cancel before the check-in cutoff.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 2:05 pm

I fly to Dubai next week, then on to Spain a few days later. I have booked a chauffeur car in both locations. Do I need to tip the drivers in either Dubai or Spain? If so I’ll need to get money at the airport. In Dubai I’m staying in the holiday inn al barsha which I think is 20 to 30 minutes from the airport.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 2:12 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by catsongea
I fly to Dubai next week, then on to Spain a few days later. I have booked a chauffeur car in both locations. Do I need to tip the drivers in either Dubai or Spain? If so I’ll need to get money at the airport. In Dubai I’m staying in the holiday inn al barsha which I think is 20 to 30 minutes from the airport.
No need to tip at either. Tips are only expected in the US.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 4:48 pm

Hi - I am not a EK newbie - but certainly a forum newbie - so decided to ask here.

I have a peculiar situation - I am trying to book Orlando - Dubai - Calcutta - and the single round-trip is showing way more expensive than the sum total of Orlando<=>Dubai and Dubai<=>Calcutta round-trips.

So my question is, if I book two separate tickets instead, will EK through check my bags even though the two legs are on separate tickets ( but both still on EK) ?

edit: wanted to add some specifics in case it is useful - I am traveling alone - only one checked bag - Outbound layover is 7 hours - Return layover is 2 hr 45 mins approx. - I am a US passport holder

Last edited by stl859; Jan 6, 2024 at 9:02 pm
Old Jan 6, 2024, 10:29 am

How do we tell which A380 is the new or old version?

Im looking at ICN to DXB and DXB to MUC

Thanks
Old Jan 6, 2024, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by HawaiiO

Thanks
What do you mean by the new or old version? There are at least 7 different seating configurations, 2 engine types, several developments in IFE and there was the new bar layout from EUV onwards.
HawaiiO likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 6:14 am

Programs: BA Gold; EK Gold; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by HawaiiO

Thanks
FT101 is right, there is a lot of (sometimes subtle) variation in the fleet. It's also worth noting that planes get regularly swapped, so the exact layout may vary.

I initially read your question as how do I tell if my flight has Premium Economy (and is therefore a generally newer style of seat upholstery?). Though your route isn't a PE one, so by this definition is old.
HawaiiO likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 8:46 am

Thanks for the reply of new/old A380.

From youtube vids, seems some A380 business seats have bigger screens than others?
i assume the bigger screens would be newer IFE/seat/plane

Also the A380s with PE, are the Business seats also updated?
Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.