Search

Not allowed to buy Skymiles?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2023, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K \\ ConciergeKey
Not allowed to buy Skymiles?

Hi FT,

I have flown on EK about 3X legs in the past 2 years, all in paid F, nothing crazy and have a small stash of miles in my account. Wanted to see if I could buy some miles to get an award ticket, but each time i login, and then try to purchase, it says that I am not allowed to and to check my membership rules?

I am Skywards Blue, do I have to be a higher level to purchase miles? Has anyone else run into this issue? I called customer service and it wasn't really a help there either.

Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 14, 2023, 3:00 am

Programs: EK Gold, BA Gold
Very strange have never heard of any rule that would prevent you from buying miles in your situation
Old Jul 24, 2023, 1:20 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, QR privilege club Gold, Topbonus Gold
Do you have any activity in your account looking at current cycle?
I guess you must have account activity in order to purchase despite wtv Skywards status / membership.. believe there was a requirement as such before nor sure if it’s still the case

Originally Posted by Rumples
Hi FT,

I have flown on EK about 3X legs in the past 2 years, all in paid F, nothing crazy and have a small stash of miles in my account. Wanted to see if I could buy some miles to get an award ticket, but each time i login, and then try to purchase, it says that I am not allowed to and to check my membership rules?

I am Skywards Blue, do I have to be a higher level to purchase miles? Has anyone else run into this issue? I called customer service and it wasn't really a help there either.

Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 24, 2023, 2:26 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Yes, but the activity need not be current.
Here's the relevant bit from the T&C: Skywards Miles can be bought, gifted, transferred, extended, reinstated or multiplied by Skywards Members via the Points.com Inc. platform (“Points Platform”) who have at least one prior earning activity in his or her Emirates Skywards Account, earned by flying on Emirates or a Partner airline.

Blue members are only allowed to buy 100,000 miles annually. Did you try to purchase more than that? That's the only explanation I could think of.
Old Jul 24, 2023, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K \\ ConciergeKey
Originally Posted by bhomburg
Here's the relevant bit from the T&C: Skywards Miles can be bought, gifted, transferred, extended, reinstated or multiplied by Skywards Members via the Points.com Inc. platform (“Points Platform”) who have at least one prior earning activity in his or her Emirates Skywards Account, earned by flying on Emirates or a Partner airline.

Blue members are only allowed to buy 100,000 miles annually. Did you try to purchase more than that? That's the only explanation I could think of.
Originally Posted by Bubus78
Do you have any activity in your account looking at current cycle?
I guess you must have account activity in order to purchase despite wtv Skywards status / membership.. believe there was a requirement as such before nor sure if it’s still the case
Originally Posted by modularmayhem
Very strange have never heard of any rule that would prevent you from buying miles in your situation

thank you everyone for the input! I went into my skymiles account, and despite having miles in there, for some reason, my previous flights are not showing, which looks like an error. I will contact them and try to get it sorted! thank you all SO SO SO MUCH!
Old Jul 25, 2023, 5:11 am

Programs: Qatar Airways, Etihad Guest, Emirates Skywards, Discovery Hotels, Bonvoy
Originally Posted by bhomburg

You've cut off the T&C's, what they actually say below. As long as you've earned a mile in your account you are eligible.

Skywards Miles can be bought, gifted, transferred, extended, reinstated or multiplied by Skywards Members via the Points.com Inc. platform (“Points Platform”) who have at least one prior earning activity in his or her Emirates Skywards Account, earned by flying on Emirates or a Partner airline or through a Partner transaction (“Eligible Skywards Member”).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.