Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No more First class BKK to HKG

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2023, 11:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AMEX Platinum, BA Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
No more First class BKK to HKG

So I booked BKK to HKG to experience Emirates first class. We then arranged a trip to get to BKK and back home from HKG.

weeks after booking I receive an email saying that we are downgraded from First to Business. Due to an aircraft change.

the only offered us money back or difference back between first/business. We made other bookings that have value and we planned this trip just for the fun of flying.

She couldnt offer any compensation. I have ro write an email. Any suggestions or previous experience?

For instance, in Europe you would receive back 75% if you accept the downgrade. I might cancel, but it costs €250 to cancel my connecting flights.
aphro likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Is moving your trip an option, until the 3 Class A380 come back ?

It’s a very short flight but yes, nice to experience once in F, actually it is good in J if you get a seat near the Bar, excellent Wines & the EK lounge in BKK is excellent with top F&B for a lounge.
kevinflyaway likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 1:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: AMEX Platinum, BA Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by chris63
Is moving your trip an option, until the 3 Class A380 come back ?
Seems to be for a long period after the summer. We did spice up to trip with Qatar QSuite and First towards BKK and new Finnair seats back from HKG. So I think we have to swallow this hick-up, but I’m going to try and see if any compensation is given. Paying back the difference is nothing more then the minimum.

also weird move don’t you think? HKG is finally open again and then they cut F?
aphro likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kevinflyaway
Seems to be for a long period after the summer. We did spice up to trip with Qatar QSuite and First towards BKK and new Finnair seats back from HKG. So I think we have to swallow this hick-up, but I’m going to try and see if any compensation is given. Paying back the difference is nothing more then the minimum.

also weird move don’t you think? HKG is finally open again and then they cut F?
It’s EK & they can get away with fare difference or refund, they use the 2 Class A380 for more seats into BKK where demand is very high, HKG also has direct flights to DXB
Old Jan 12, 2023, 9:28 pm

You might not even get the Qsuite you expect. Spend some time on the QR forum and you'll understand.

I've got a QR flight to Bangkok in about two months and they've taken the A380 with first class off that route for a couple of months so another one that's not guaranteed.

Finnair could be OK although I think it's a Marmite seat, but most reports are in favour so far.
kevinflyaway likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 11:31 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Ref the EK sector of your trip …….. it’s a tad frustrating sure, but I honestly don’t think you’re missing out much for such a very short sector (could very well end up as less than 3 hours actual flying time) and the J seat + facilities will be pretty good. I’ve been lucky enough to enjoy many excellent F trips on EK long-hauls, mainly UK to Australia but also short hops from Oz down to NZ and it’s only on the lengthy sectors where you get the full F class ‘experience’ (though perhaps other EK regulars take a different view)

As for compensation over & above the refund offered : I very much doubt you would have any success at all ….. really not worth devoting any time / effort on that score !

Bon voyage
chris63 likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2023, 1:00 am
Original Poster

Thanks everybody.
I'll just keep the booking as is for the moment. Maybe they change it back again and then can just ask to upgrade the booking again.

Still a very nice trip we've got planned so we'll stick it for sure. My friend has never been in the A380 EK Bar so that's the new thing for that flight then haha. I already spend hours in that bar and indeed...the wines!! and the Espresso Martini's are define
Old Jan 17, 2023, 5:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
If so that is a shame, have you double checked that First isn't available on different days? I've got a trip on Friday in F and the return in March still had an F cabin (I thought). I had a similar downgrade on the BKK-DXB route and was able to move to a different time to still have First. Otherwise I think you are stuck with the refund for a lower class. Note the EU compensation was, I thought, only valid if it wasn't done more than 2 weeks in advance anyway, but certainly there aren't punitive damages in HK.

At least the route has the A380 back now rather than before when it was an old 777 for the "fun of flying" if you did take the trip anyway, it would still be different? I would note that with the Emirates lounge currently closed in HKG it will be a lot less fun on the ground as your first class experience will be spoiled with a fairly cheap lounge initially, and the same experience as business class.

And for those saying "Oh it's only 3 hours": It is better than Cathay/Thai on the route and in this era of high priced fares from HKG you could choose between EK F and CX J for about the same price, or the Emirates one may even be cheaper. I enjoyed it enough to book few times again after my first booking in the midst of COVID and really quite enjoyed the suite, service and food for the 2.5 hours you're in the air - and I didn't have a shower option at the time since we were on the 777.
Old Jul 15, 2023, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With no F currently on this route, i was in J & it was superb, definitely the best carrier on this route, excellent service, F&B, was in 22A near the Bar

Dinner

Excellent Chardonnay

Because i complimented the Bar attendant on the Chardonnay, they came & gave me this for landing, amazing service 👍
Old Jul 15, 2023, 1:30 am

F still seems to be available on this route at the moment?
Old Jul 15, 2023, 2:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eternaltransit
F still seems to be available on this route at the moment?
Yes, back now, not on 7th July
eternaltransit likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2023, 5:26 am

Good seeing you in this forum chris63 . Big fan of EK too.
chris63 likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2023, 7:52 am

Programs: AC SE MM, BW Diamond Select
Flying at the end of July BKK-HKG-BKK in F (first time flying with EK, so I'm very excited about that!).

I know J/F passengers can use the special lane at immigration upon arrival in BKK, as well as the EK lounge on the outbound; any other special services of note?

The HKG lounge, as far as I can tell, is still closed. EK will use the Plaza Premium Lounge, but I intend to stay at my Kowloon hotel as late as possible, so I'm not too worried about that.

Thanks for any other insight you can provide.
Old Jul 16, 2023, 8:00 am
Ambassador: Air New Zealand

Programs: NZ Elite, EK Gold, Qatar Gold, Amex Plat, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by TTC900Rocket
Flying at the end of July BKK-HKG-BKK in F (first time flying with EK, so I'm very excited about that!).

I know J/F passengers can use the special lane at immigration upon arrival in BKK, as well as the EK lounge on the outbound; any other special services of note?

The HKG lounge, as far as I can tell, is still closed. EK will use the Plaza Premium Lounge, but I intend to stay at my Kowloon hotel as late as possible, so I'm not too worried about that.

Enjoy the trip. The EK Lounge in BKK is good. I have done the same a number of times pre Covid (the last time was Jan 2020).

If you ask nicely you might be able to get an Amenity Kit if they are loaded.
chris63 and TTC900Rocket like this.
Old Jul 16, 2023, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by TTC900Rocket

You can use the QF lounge at HKG if it’s open.
chris63 and TTC900Rocket like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.