Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

No miles upgrades Y to J on light load flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2022, 1:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: MM, EK, HH, etc.

This is what has happened to me a few times, including today: half empty flights do not offer any miles upgrades prior to or during the online check in, but only at the airport desk during physical check in. This means that the Skywards+ subscription benefits do not apply, and a higher miles rate has to be “paid”. This seems pure stupidity on the part of Emirates to me: it is not only annoying to passengers (= diminishing brand loyalty) devalues Skywards+ (= higher probability of not subscribing/renewing), serves no cash generating purpose (who is going to opt for an outrageously overpriced cash upgrade during online check in instead) and misses an opportunity to reduce miles on the balance sheet at essentially 0 cost (I have not considered the extra cost of the meal). So anyone understand the EK logic?
Old Dec 13, 2022, 2:15 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

I'd guess that they may send out the cheaper upgrade offers on these flights. They've already got your money for Skywards+, so more advantageous for them to get people paying $$$ / £££ to upgrade.
Old Dec 13, 2022, 6:13 am

Programs: Skywards
Originally Posted by Wtravel
This is what has happened to me a few times, including today: half empty flights do not offer any miles upgrades prior to or during the online check in, but only at the airport desk during physical check in. This means that the Skywards+ subscription benefits do not apply, and a higher miles rate has to be “paid”. This seems pure stupidity on the part of Emirates to me: it is not only annoying to passengers (= diminishing brand loyalty) devalues Skywards+ (= higher probability of not subscribing/renewing), serves no cash generating purpose (who is going to opt for an outrageously overpriced cash upgrade during online check in instead) and misses an opportunity to reduce miles on the balance sheet at essentially 0 cost (I have not considered the extra cost of the meal). So anyone understand the EK logic?

did you book flex?
Old Dec 15, 2022, 11:45 am

Programs: Skywards (Gold), Star Alliance (Gold), Turkish Airlines (Elite +)
I'm not sure logic and EK belong in the same sentence. They can be so frustrating to deal with. I've had the same bugbear you described on previous occasions. They've lost my loyalty to Turkish Airlines now. They list the cost to upgrade when you're booking your tickets and then when you come to try it, computer says no. I feel your pain.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.