Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Skywards Miles Calculator - confirmation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2022, 6:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates Skywards

Hello all,

Thinking of a holiday to Seychelles - could someone confirm I am reading the miles calculator on emirates.com correctly...

I'd be flying Manchester to Seychelles (MAN-SEZ) - I presume this is A380 MAN-DXB, then 777 DXB-SEZ and vice versa?

I want to upgrade from Business to First (subject to availability of course!) - I read it as needing 110500 on a Saver fare, 97750 on a Flex, and 85000 on a Flex Plus fare - this is for a return journey flying first both ways...

Also if I was to split the return leg and stop off in Dubai, I assume I'd need more than this as they are counted as separate journeys?

Could someone confirm this info for me please?
Old Jul 29, 2022, 10:29 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

When are you travelling? The 3rd DXB-MAN is returning 1st October, and that's a B777.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 3:27 am
Original Poster

This would be in January 2023
Old Jul 31, 2022, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Hello again,

I've just been checking with Emirates are they are currently saying there are no seats available to upgrade in January from Man-Dxb from Business to First Class. This is on the EK18 at Lunchtime (I don't think the later A380 is 3 class?

In your experience, does this change as the year goes on, or is reward availability fixed for the year? I'm not looking to travel until January, and don't need to be fixed to certain dates in the month, but wondering whether or not to rethink my plans. Your experiences on booking upgrades would be welcome!

Cheers
Old Jul 31, 2022, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by baz2277
Hello again,

I've just been checking with Emirates are they are currently saying there are no seats available to upgrade in January from Man-Dxb from Business to First Class. This is on the EK18 at Lunchtime (I don't think the later A380 is 3 class?

In your experience, does this change as the year goes on, or is reward availability fixed for the year? I'm not looking to travel until January, and don't need to be fixed to certain dates in the month, but wondering whether or not to rethink my plans. Your experiences on booking upgrades would be welcome!

Cheers
Have a look at ExpertFlyer to see how many seats are taken (seat checks are free). You can then set the Auto Upgrade if there are seats available. If that doesn't work, you can also upgrade at the airport or onboard if seats are available.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 7:45 am
Original Poster

On expertflyer It's currently showing First as empty on the original date I asked for (20th Jan 1310) - I've read some people saying that availability can open up closer to departure. In fairness there were only 3 of us in 1st the last time I did this, and I didn't book until much closer to the departure date
Old Jul 31, 2022, 8:54 am

On expertflyer It's currently showing First as empty on the original date I asked for (20th Jan 1310) - I've read some people saying that availability can open up closer to departure. In fairness there were only 3 of us in 1st the last time I did this, and I didn't book until much closer to the departure date
Yeah - it may open up closer to the time.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 1:27 pm
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
As per DYKWIA’s suggestion, just set auto upgrade and also keep on checking with the call centre as auto upgrade tends to miss opportunities from time to time. Also I think auto upgrade only becomes ‘active’ a certain amount of time before the flight, it will tell you when you set it up.
January 2023 is a long way away and EK will undoubtedly try to sell seats for cash before making them available as award / upgrade stock.
My experience is that if you ‘work’ at getting the upgrade, chances are much better than just waiting for it to happen.
Pandor and baz2277 like this.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 2:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thijsseh
As per DYKWIA’s suggestion, just set auto upgrade and also keep on checking with the call centre as auto upgrade tends to miss opportunities from time to time. Also I think auto upgrade only becomes ‘active’ a certain amount of time before the flight, it will tell you when you set it up.
January 2023 is a long way away and EK will undoubtedly try to sell seats for cash before making them available as award / upgrade stock.
My experience is that if you ‘work’ at getting the upgrade, chances are much better than just waiting for it to happen.
Thanks for your comments! I'll keep on trying later in the year - i'm in no rush to book to be honest. The last time I went for the upgrade, I booked about 6 weeks before travel, but I was really impressed with the service and NEED to do it again!! As I only need one seat I'm hoping I might be in luck...time to get some more miles credited in the meantime...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.