Wiki Posts
Search

A380 vs. B777

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2022, 9:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus
A380 vs. B777

I was wondering if folks with ample experience flying F on both the A380 and B777 could opine on the differentiation between the two products as related to external noise levels, and degree of impact during turbulent weather. Mrs B does not sleep well on long haul flights and we have our first trip to Asia on the horizon, and total flight time will be the longest flights we have ever done. I suspect external noise levels are in part a function of location of F cabin, but otherwise no discernible difference. I am particulary wondering if A380 due to its overall size is less affected by turbulent weather. Any opinions greatly appreciated.
Old Mar 25, 2022, 10:07 pm

Assuming you are flying in F cabin on the A380, the noise level on the forward of upper deck where all F cabins are situated will be the quietest and the least bumpy part of the plane during turbulence. However, 4A 4K (last row) will be slightly noisier due to the first galley behind, but you can always ask the crew to be a bit gentle with opening/closing the containers if the noise bothers you.

on the 777, F cabin is again the quietest part of the plane, but this time the galley is in the forward section of F cabin and the lavatories are shared between F class passengers/pilots/crew, whereas the A380 lav shower spa are solely for the passengers.
DYKWIA likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 4:10 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, QR Gold, HH Gold, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
A380 is substantially quieter than B777 in terms of engine noise and is also less affected by turbulence.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 8:49 am

I have done QR A380 in J and it was the most pleasant flight i have ever taken. Spacious, quiet and not so prone to turbulence. I hope i can some day try their F.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 9:09 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
For a couple, choose 2E/F on the A380 and the 77W (assuming it's 'old F', the one with 8 F suites). These are the quietest suites.
On the A380 because they are further away from the galley. Although row 1 is even further, there can be some disturbance as you are close to the curtain separating the cabin from the forward 'bar' and the shower spa's.
On the 77W again because you are furthest away from the galley and there are no passengers to be served behind you. And trust me, you will not hear anything from the J cabin behind you.
If you prefer window seats, take 2A/K on both types, then you can't see each other but there is slightly more space in the area next to the window. These days, Mrs t and myself prefer this option. But then we have been married for long enough to be able to be 'separated' for a few (or more hours). YMMV.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 5:54 am

Programs: CX Gold
Do the middle F cabins turn into adjoining beds like in QR’s Q Suite?
Old Mar 27, 2022, 6:16 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by boybi
Do the middle F cabins turn into adjoining beds like in QR’s Q Suite?
No
boybi likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2022, 9:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cargueiro
A380 is substantially quieter than B777 in terms of engine noise and is also less affected by turbulence.
Thanks to all for your insights. I expected that the consensus favorite was A380 for the turbulence assessment, and found it insightful that the consensus on relative quietness was squarely in the camp of the A380 as well. Thanks again.
Old Apr 10, 2022, 9:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thijsseh
For a couple, choose 2E/F on the A380 and the 77W (assuming it's 'old F', the one with 8 F suites). These are the quietest suites.
On the A380 because they are further away from the galley. Although row 1 is even further, there can be some disturbance as you are close to the curtain separating the cabin from the forward 'bar' and the shower spa's.
On the 77W again because you are furthest away from the galley and there are no passengers to be served behind you. And trust me, you will not hear anything from the J cabin behind you.
If you prefer window seats, take 2A/K on both types, then you can't see each other but there is slightly more space in the area next to the window. These days, Mrs t and myself prefer this option. But then we have been married for long enough to be able to be 'separated' for a few (or more hours). YMMV.
Thank you for the insight on suite selections.... they align with what I would have expected.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 11:17 am

Programs: American Gold, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by thijsseh
Spouse and I are Booked on 2 E/F ATH to EWR on the 777. Is there a divider that comes down between E/F? Or are these the new suites?
Old Apr 27, 2022, 11:38 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by Filler03
Spouse and I are Booked on 2 E/F ATH to EWR on the 777. Is there a divider that comes down between E/F? Or are these the new suites?
If it has 2E/F its an ‘old’ configuration: 8 suites. The divider between E and F comes down so that your can see each other and talk. “Holding hands” is a bit tricky as it does not come down all the way and the minibar setup plus some storage as well as the tray table is there as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.