Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

[EK NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (Flame Free) 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[EK NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (Flame Free) 2022

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2022, 10:33 pm
THR

Didn't want to create an entire thread for this.

I have a partner ticked booked for November - and I want to change the routing, which will require a re-ticket. Unfortunately they (JL) have not opened availability for the routing I want yet (seem not to be releasing any more seats).

Unfortunately my miles will expire (as I won't be able to do it until after August); do you know if I can re-ticket without them expiring my miles? I understand I might have an extension option but that works out to be reasonably expensive at US $20 per mile.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 6:56 pm
wsc

DXB to London reward availability around New Years, is it held back or most likely have I missed the boat?
been trying regularly for the the last 5 months with no luck
Old Aug 21, 2022, 12:59 am

Originally Posted by wsc
DXB to London reward availability around New Years, is it held back or most likely have I missed the boat?
been trying regularly for the the last 5 months with no luck
Peak holiday time and they can probably sell the seats for cash so need to offer reward seats.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 3:33 pm

anyone know what time the Emirates checkin counter opens at SFO? Is it 3 or 4 hrs before departure of ek226 which departs at 1705?
jordan408 likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2022, 10:06 am

I have some Emirates flights booked in Economy via a travel agency at a Saver fare rate. From what I understand, I may be able to upgrade flights with miles beginning 48 hours before check-in.

The Emirates miles upgrade calculator shows the miles needed to upgrade each flight, however does this total apply to all legs of a flight if there is a layover?

To calculate miles needed, do I need to individually upgrade each leg of a flight or does the upgrade estimate apply to entire flight path?

Also is upgrade availability shared with all flyers at the 48 hour window, or is it hit or miss on access to the upgrades? Is it sometimes available online and other times only available at airport check-in desk?
Old Aug 24, 2022, 12:38 pm
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by markocoog
I have some Emirates flights booked in Economy via a travel agency at a Saver fare rate. From what I understand, I may be able to upgrade flights with miles beginning 48 hours before check-in.

The Emirates miles upgrade calculator shows the miles needed to upgrade each flight, however does this total apply to all legs of a flight if there is a layover?

To calculate miles needed, do I need to individually upgrade each leg of a flight or does the upgrade estimate apply to entire flight path?

Also is upgrade availability shared with all flyers at the 48 hour window, or is it hit or miss on access to the upgrades? Is it sometimes available online and other times only available at airport check-in desk?
Hello markocoog, welcome to FlyerTalk and the Emirates board in particular! I hope we will be able to help you here.

Economy Saver fares can be upgraded at check in or on board. My interpretation is that on line check in does not ‘count’ as check in and that you need to ask at the check in desk at the airport. But I may be wrong, in which case someone more knowledgeable about the Y to J upgrade process will hopefully respond.

If you can upgrade all sectors at the same time (i.e. if there is award availability for all sectors on your trip), there is a lower mileage rate than if you upgrade sector by sector.

My understanding is that it works on a first come first serve basis. Is that what you were asking at the end of your question?
Old Aug 25, 2022, 12:07 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
Passcode

Hi, I registered for Skywards and have managed to create a profile. However, for various operations I get a message that to continue, I'll be sent a one-time passcode to my email address - but it never arrives, and yes I did check the spam folder. If I click on "Create New Password" I do get a message (so the email address works) and can create a new password, but am then prompted for the same one-time passcode that never arrives.

Is that normal? Any other known issues I should be aware of?
Old Aug 25, 2022, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by thijsseh
Hello markocoog, welcome to FlyerTalk and the Emirates board in particular! I hope we will be able to help you here.

Economy Saver fares can be upgraded at check in or on board. My interpretation is that on line check in does not ‘count’ as check in and that you need to ask at the check in desk at the airport. But I may be wrong, in which case someone more knowledgeable about the Y to J upgrade process will hopefully respond.

If you can upgrade all sectors at the same time (i.e. if there is award availability for all sectors on your trip), there is a lower mileage rate than if you upgrade sector by sector.

My understanding is that it works on a first come first serve basis. Is that what you were asking at the end of your question?
Thank you. It sounds like generally it is only available at the airport except for instances where select flyers may get an email upgrade offer.

I have points from Emirates transfer partners, however I want to avoid transferring points and getting them locked into Emirates Skywards if upgrades aren't available. Some transfer partners are close to instant transfer, but I guess its risk / reward type situation.

Regarding upgrading all sectors, I would potentially be able to do this at the originating airport of my first leg as long as there is upgrade availability for both legs? To your point, the mileage cost is ~20% less on Emirates miles upgrade calculator if this is allowed.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 10:11 am
formerly rt23456p

Any way to not paid the insane Emirates YQ fee for J?

Old Aug 27, 2022, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by markocoog
Regarding upgrading all sectors, I would potentially be able to do this at the originating airport of my first leg as long as there is upgrade availability for both legs? To your point, the mileage cost is ~20% less on Emirates miles upgrade calculator if this is allowed.
At the airport (or on board) you will only be able to upgrade that sector so could end up paying the higher miles if you have to do it twice. It's been a while, but I think the 48 hour rule for Saver flights is 48 hours before OLCI opens and can be done online which would possibly give you the lower miles if all sectors have upgrades available at that point in time.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 2:24 am

Programs: Continental OnePass Silver
High fees for JetBlue redemptions?
I have 16k Skywards miles expiring in a couple days, so I figured I'd use 10k of them for a one-way DCA-BOS flight on JetBlue. But when I go to search on Emirates' website, I see the price is actually 10k miles plus $57 in taxes and fees. That seems outrageous; I could buy a DCA-BOS ticket for less paying cash. Does anyone know what the $57 is for? I know taxes should only be $5.50, but the website doesn't give a breakdown of "taxes and fees."

Additionally, since it doesn't make sense to redeem the EK miles on JetBlue, would you agree that the best move is just to donate them?
Old Aug 29, 2022, 5:13 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

$52 will be for the "carrier surcharge" - what EK cream off because they can. Try a long haul flight on EK... £800+ taxes and surcharges ex-UK.
Old Aug 30, 2022, 7:18 pm

Programs: Continental OnePass Silver
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
$52 will be for the "carrier surcharge" - what EK cream off because they can. Try a long haul flight on EK... £800+ taxes and surcharges ex-UK.
Unbelievable. Thanks, DYKWIA.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 1:33 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Before Covid, the EK surcharges were relatively low in comparison to other major (non US) airlines. That has indeed changed considerably, EK seem to be trying to recoup as many of the 'Covid losses' as possible through this mechanism. And I don't know how their fuel costs are hedged but that may also be a significant factor. In the distant past, this 'carrier imposed surcharge' was actually called 'fuel surcharge', but when the fuel costs started to drop, all airlines kept the surcharge and just renamed it.....
And yes, they can get away with it. On the routes I fly, EK is as expensive as alternative carriers. And the flights are packed.....
Old Aug 31, 2022, 1:46 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by thijsseh
Before Covid, the EK surcharges were relatively low in comparison to other major (non US) airlines.
Not sure that's true... even before Covid, EK was massively expensive (at least ex-UK).

EK surcharges rant.... £818 from UK-DXB

During Covid, the "surcharge" was drastically reduced do to mainly taxes, but then went back up again last year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.