Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Upcoming CPT-DXB trip - potential cancellation questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2021, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK, VS, SA, HH

I have an upcoming CPT-DXB / DXB-JNB multi-leg trip departing 14 January 2022, where I'll be in DXB for a few weeks. The tickets were issued on 23 September 2021, and I had upgraded the inbound leg to business class with Skywards miles immediately after booking.

As things currently stand, I won't be allowed entry into Dubai given their Omicron restrictions on passengers from Southern African countries.

Emirates hasn't yet cancelled the booking -- is this something I should expect them to do in these two weeks before the 14th of January, or would I need to request they do this manually? I was told via phone support that given that I had booked the first leg in the Saver booking class, in order to receive a full refund, EK would have to cancel the flight for me as opposed to me requesting they do so. (When I made the booking, the Saver fare had a fee for cancellations).

In either case, I also assume that I would receive all my Skywards miles back that I had used to upgrade the inbound leg to business class; however, I'm confused in that the Skywards website had indicated that at the time I made the upgrade, a portion of the miles used would have expired at the end of September 2021 -- given EK's policy stating that miles expiring after April 2020 would be extended to only expire at the end of March 2022, I assume the September 2021 expiry warning must have just been in error on the Skywards site's side and in reality I would be re-credited with those miles.

I'd appreciate any clarity anyone might have on these two points, or similar anecdotes. Thanks!

Last edited by baharini; Dec 29, 2021 at 3:32 pm Reason: For posterity: clarity on the Omicron COVID-19 variant being the reason for restrictions
Old Dec 29, 2021, 2:48 pm
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by baharini
I have an upcoming CPT-DXB / DXB-JNB multi-leg trip departing 14 January 2022, where I'll be in DXB for a few weeks. The tickets were issued on 23 September 2021, and I had upgraded the inbound leg to business class with Skywards miles immediately after booking.

As things currently stand, I won't be allowed entry to Dubai given their restrictions on passengers from Southern African countries.

Emirates hasn't yet cancelled the booking -- is this something I should expect them to do in these two weeks before the 14th of January, or would I need to request they do this manually? I was told via phone support that given that I had booked the first leg in the Saver booking class, in order to receive a full refund, EK would have to cancel the flight for me as opposed to me requesting they do so. (When I made the booking, the Saver fare had a fee for cancellations).

In either case, I also assume that I would receive all my Skywards miles back that I had used to upgrade the inbound leg to business class; however, I'm confused in that the Skywards website had indicated that at the time I made the upgrade, a portion of the miles used would have expired at the end of September 2021 -- given EK's policy stating that miles expiring after April 2020 would be extended to only expire at the end of March 2022, I assume the September 2021 expiry warning must have just been in error on the Skywards site's side and in reality I would be re-credited with those miles.

I'd appreciate any clarity anyone might have on these two points, or similar anecdotes. Thanks!
Doing a few dummy bookings, it would appear that Emirates expect to be able to fly passengers out of South Africa from 16 January (I have checked for both CPT and JNB). This appears to be often (but not always and certainly not guaranteed) based on some inside knowledge on what the UAE government is planning to do with current restrictions .
So a flight booking on 14 January is probably going to be cancelled and they may or may not offer to rebook you on the 16th January or otherwise offer a refund where your full fare will be returned to you and (as per your argument which I agree with) your miles as well.
However, EK have not been a shining example in this respect (a few fellow EK travellers have had cancellations / reroutings which were done with poor customer service), so you may have to need to be a bit assertive when it come to this process.
baharini likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thijsseh
Doing a few dummy bookings, it would appear that Emirates expect to be able to fly passengers out of South Africa from 16 January (I have checked for both CPT and JNB). This appears to be often (but not always and certainly not guaranteed) based on some inside knowledge on what the UAE government is planning to do with current restrictions .
So a flight booking on 14 January is probably going to be cancelled and they may or may not offer to rebook you on the 16th January or otherwise offer a refund where your full fare will be returned to you and (as per your argument which I agree with) your miles as well.
However, EK have not been a shining example in this respect (a few fellow EK travellers have had cancellations / reroutings which were done with poor customer service), so you may have to need to be a bit assertive when it come to this process.
Many thanks for the response and investigation, thijsseh! I concur with your thoughts here.

I don't have any updates on the situation from my side -- the booking still appears to be valid on when viewing it via "Manage your booking", with seat selection showing quite a few blocked seats, indicating that some others' bookings are valid too.

I'll update this thread for posterity once I have more information on the outcome.
thijsseh likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 8:02 am
Original Poster

The latest communication from EK indicates that the travel ban will be extended until at least 10 January 2022: (source)

Emirates has notified the trade that it will not resume carrying South African passengers on outbound flights from Johannesburg, Cape Town and Durban on January 1, as it had planned. The airline says the suspension, which started on November 29, remains in place until January 10, or until a new recommencement date is announced.

Emirates will continue to operate daily inbound flights (EK761) to Johannesburg. EK761, DXB-JNB, will operate a daily passenger and cargo flight, and EK762, JNB-DXB, will operate cargo only as per published schedule.

Last edited by baharini; Jan 3, 2022 at 8:10 am
Old Jan 3, 2022, 9:15 am

Programs: EK Plat; QR Gold
This wave has really freaked out the UAE. Not sure why they think this helps, but anywho.

My next trip trip was to Baghdad, so happy to be stuck in Joburg for another two weeks to miss that.
thijsseh likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 10:23 am
A4K

Programs: N/A
I had an F award flight to JNB cancelled from 1 December, with basically less than 72 hours notice. I rerouted myself and left the EK ticket and have not had a chance to call and deal with it. Should I expect them to re-ticket me on the date of my choice or will they expect me to find award space?

They ended up actually running a flight that day, but in the few days of them messing around I had already booked another option. I would hope they would accommodate a date of my choice given they cancelled the flight when they later proved they really didn't have to cancel it but just want to know if I need to be ready to push them on it.

Thanks.

Last edited by A4K; Jan 3, 2022 at 10:31 am
Old Jan 3, 2022, 2:29 pm
Ambassador, Emirates

The latest communication from EK indicates that the travel ban will be extended until at least 10 January 2022: (source)
Currently, flights are still loaded as starting 16/01/22. JNB (both 762 and 764), CPT (771) as well as DUR (776)
(dummy booking shows this)

Last edited by thijsseh; Jan 3, 2022 at 2:36 pm
Old Jan 7, 2022, 2:40 am
Original Poster

Emirates has just cancelled my outbound (14 Jan) CPT-DXB flight EK771.

The inbound EK761 DXB-JNB flight on 27 Jan still appears valid -- it's now the only flight that shows up under the PNR -- although I imagine it'll be removed soon. I'm going to phone EK to ask them to cancel it & refund the miles that I'd used for the business class upgrade.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 6:22 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Emirates has just cancelled my outbound (14 Jan) CPT-DXB flight EK771.

The inbound EK761 DXB-JNB flight on 27 Jan still appears valid -- it's now the only flight that shows up under the PNR -- although I imagine it'll be removed soon. I'm going to phone EK to ask them to cancel it & refund the miles that I'd used for the business class upgrade.
I still see flights from 16/1 bookable. So you may have the choice between waiting two days and cancelling (which is entirely your choice of course)
baharini likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Some updates -- EK phone support was able to cancel the upgrade reward (returning the miles to my account) and cancel the ticket. They advised to fill out the refund form to receive a refund to my credit card, which I have done and will wait to hear back.

One thing that concerns me is that my Skywards account states "27,189 Miles are due to expire on 31 Jan 22" after receiving the miles refund, which is not in line with EK policy that claims their validity should be extended to 31 Mar 2022. Has anyone encountered these sort of messages despite EK policy stating otherwise?

Originally Posted by thijsseh
I still see flights from 16/1 bookable. So you may have the choice between waiting two days and cancelling (which is entirely your choice of course)
Thanks. The trip no longer made sense given the uncertainty.

Last edited by baharini; Jan 12, 2022 at 8:38 am
Old Jan 13, 2022, 4:33 am
Original Poster

Interesting story with my phone call to EK support on miles expiring sooner than the 31 March 2022 extension.

I explained the situation to the agent and they then claimed that the miles were indeed due to expire on 31 January 2022 because "all miles that were due to expire on or after March 2021 have been extended until 31 January 2022."

After quoting the relevant section from EK policy to them, the agent went and re-checked EK's internal guidance and agreed that what I told them was correct. They then sent an internal request to have my miles manually extended.

I'm surprised by EK agents' confusion here as this policy has been in place since November 2021 (ref). @thijsseh, you were right about being insistent :-)
Old Feb 5, 2022, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

This situation had a satisfying ending: I received a full refund and EK extended the validity of the returned miles to 31 March 2022 after a phone call asking them to do so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.