Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

21 hours of layover in DXB | What to do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2021, 6:02 am
Original Poster

Hi,

I have a transit time of 21 hours. I havent booked dubai connect because I didnt want to leave the airport with all the testing requirements. What can I do to kill time at terminal 3? I do have access to amex plat lounges. I would like to get some sleep if possible. I looked at "sleep n fly" lounge but I dont know how I can reserve in advance through priority pass. Also which lounge has the good food? which lounge is good for sleeping/resting? Can I reserve any lounge in advance?

Thanks!
Old Dec 28, 2021, 7:05 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by traveler_of_universe
Hi,

I have a transit time of 21 hours. I havent booked dubai connect because I didnt want to leave the airport with all the testing requirements. What can I do to kill time at terminal 3? I do have access to amex plat lounges. I would like to get some sleep if possible. I looked at "sleep n fly" lounge but I dont know how I can reserve in advance through priority pass. Also which lounge has the good food? which lounge is good for sleeping/resting? Can I reserve any lounge in advance?

Thanks!
Welcome to FlyerTalk and to the EK board in particular! Let's see if we can help you. Your cabin of travel (on the outbound from DXB) is important here.
I am assuming that you fly out on Emirates? There are lounges for J and F passengers and the J lounges are also available for Skywards Silver and above, the F lounges for Skywards Plat. Also you can pay for access, I think it is U$125 (or something like that) for the J lounge. That access is time-limited (I think it's 4 hours), so depending on how well that is enforced it might not be too helpful for you. There is no access based on any other card membership / priority pass etc.
You might want to use the terminal hotel instead although that too comes at a cost.
The Marhaba lounge provides priority pass access (as far as I know). I have never been inside it so cannot comment on it's amenities as far as 'putting your head down' is concerned. It is generally seen as inferior to the Emirates lounges (which are in all three concourses of Terminal 3), but it's the only PP lounge in terminal 3.
IntrepidAfrican2 likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 7:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by thijsseh
Welcome to FlyerTalk and to the EK board in particular! Let's see if we can help you. Your cabin of travel (on the outbound from DXB) is important here.
I am assuming that you fly out on Emirates? There are lounges for J and F passengers and the J lounges are also available for Skywards Silver and above, the F lounges for Skywards Plat. Also you can pay for access, I think it is U$125 (or something like that) for the J lounge. That access is time-limited (I think it's 4 hours), so depending on how well that is enforced it might not be too helpful for you. There is no access based on any other card membership / priority pass etc.
You might want to use the terminal hotel instead although that too comes at a cost.
The Marhaba lounge provides priority pass access (as far as I know). I have never been inside it so cannot comment on it's amenities as far as 'putting your head down' is concerned. It is generally seen as inferior to the Emirates lounges (which are in all three concourses of Terminal 3), but it's the only PP lounge in terminal 3.
Just to add to this very good post - I have been unfortunate enough to fly EK in Y and without EK lounge access so in a nutshell, the Marhaba lounge is an upgraded waiting room with very average food (I think one meat choice and some pasta) and limited drinks offering (one sort of beer/ whiskey). There might be some quiet corners but normally the lounge tends to be quite full and loud. I think I haven't seen any loungers or anything suitable for sleeping so I think the airport hotel is your best choice. Personally, for me one of the worst Priority Pass lounges you can find

Are you sure you don't want to go into Dubai if you meet Dubai entry requirements for 5-7 hours or so and then come back to the Marhaba lounge?
IntrepidAfrican2 likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 7:51 am

Programs: EK Plat; QR Gold
Agree, the Marhaba lounge is not very pleasant.

Not so sure about 21 hours in the EK F lounge either. It’s a nice lounge, but, at least to me, not that nice.

I too would do Dubai Connect. If in F or J, the hotel is better than the terminal hotel, and you can go have meals elsewhere and do something. Test results come fairly quickly.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Your cabin of travel (on the outbound from DXB) is important here.
My ticket is Economy flex. So i guess fare class is E, R or W.

I am assuming that you fly out on Emirates?
Yes i am flying out on Emirates.

Are you sure you don't want to go into Dubai if you meet Dubai entry requirements for 5-7 hours or so and then come back to the Marhaba lounge?
I do meet the requirements but i dont want to leave the transit area.

I heard that Emirates will give access to the lounge if the transit is too long and when not taking the dubai connect. Is it true?

Thanks for all the useful tips! I will check the terminal hotel.
Old Dec 28, 2021, 9:20 pm

I heard that Emirates will give access to the lounge if the transit is too long and when not taking the dubai connect. Is it true?
I've never heard of that, only a food voucher and I haven't even heard of that for a while.
Old Dec 29, 2021, 7:57 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Note that there is a time limit on the Maharba lounge. It’s 3 hours prior to your flight (or maybe 4).

So… do yourself a favour and book at least a few hours at the airside hotel.
thijsseh likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2021, 11:29 am

Assuming you have your on ward ticket, nothing stopping you going out and getting onto your next flight, if you want to be extra safe, you can always grab a Expo ticket during your stop on EK flight and near the entrance is a Expo Covid test place which gives results in 4 or 6 hours. Do your test and then go out into Dubai, either go to the Expo, enjoy a meal.

If your planning on staying in, what I would recomend is go to Lounge B in Terminal 3 concourse B. Just say you have a long stay and you will scan your card when the 3 hours expires. Prebook a shower and they will take you to the Int Hotel for a shower session when you are ready to go. As for the sleep pod's, you can do the same, just say you want to scan for two visits. They wont allow you to prebook but have ample pods availible so wont be a issue.
Will08 likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2021, 11:45 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by suley

If your planning on staying in, what I would recomend is go to Lounge B in Terminal 3 concourse B. Just say you have a long stay and you will scan your card when the 3 hours expires. Prebook a shower and they will take you to the Int Hotel for a shower session when you are ready to go. As for the sleep pod's, you can do the same, just say you want to scan for two visits. They wont allow you to prebook but have ample pods availible so wont be a issue.
In Economy??? That’s good!
Old Dec 30, 2021, 4:42 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
In Economy??? That’s good!
Yep - see https://www.ahlan-dia.com/lounge-services Lounge B is by Ahlan who own Dubai Airport Hotel. I have always found it a cut above Marhaba, earlier in the year they offered table service as oppose to a buffet and table service was a full menu (i tried the New Yorker and it was quite good for a mid day burger!), the menu is still online https://www.canva.com/design/DAEMLTQ...qY-UpA4dg/view but now its back to buffet. Was quite a upgrade. Since its a paid lounge its open to all classes. So yep, book a shower session and you get taken across to the hotel.
Will08 likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Hi wanted to update the thread with my experience incase someone else is in same situation.
I had a wonderful time at Dubai airport. My experience at different lounges is shared below.

Sleep n Fly lounge near C gates:
* Cabin rooms. Rooms had a tv which can be connected to via hdmi cable. Pillow provided
* Better than sleep n fly lounge near A gates
* Spent 6 hours
* Priority pass from amex plat allows you to book sleep n fly lounge for unlimited time. If I wanted I could have booked a pod for 21 hours.
* Lounge wont take advance reservation if you want to use priority pass

Premium Plaza Lounge near A gates:
* Table service. Good food. Various options for vegetarians
* Showers available. Towel and toiletries available
* Not crowded at all. I was the only one between 7-11 pm
* Might have to take internal train if you are near B, C gates
* Different food menus for breakfast/lunch/dinner

Marhaba Lounge near B gates:
* Ok food. Not many vegetarian options. I just ate salad
* Very crowded
* Spent 1 hour 30 mins

Sleep n Fly lounge near A gates:
* Pod type sleeping. Pillow provided. Light can leak from holes in ceiling of pod.
* More crowded
* Spent 6 hours

I didnt do any reservation in any of the lounges.
Pandor, juddles and Beepbop like this.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Note that there is a time limit on the Maharba lounge. It’s 3 hours prior to your flight (or maybe 4).

So… do yourself a favour and book at least a few hours at the airside hotel.
I didnt encounter this time limit. I visited Marhaba lounge ~ 9 hours prior to my flight
Old Jan 3, 2022, 4:36 pm
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Hi wanted to update the thread with my experience incase someone else is in same situation.
I had a wonderful time at Dubai airport. My experience at different lounges is shared below.

Sleep n Fly lounge near C gates:
* Cabin rooms. Rooms had a tv which can be connected to via hdmi cable. Pillow provided
* Better than sleep n fly lounge near A gates
* Spent 6 hours
* Priority pass from amex plat allows you to book sleep n fly lounge for unlimited time. If I wanted I could have booked a pod for 21 hours.
* Lounge wont take advance reservation if you want to use priority pass

Premium Plaza Lounge near A gates:
* Table service. Good food. Various options for vegetarians
* Showers available. Towel and toiletries available
* Not crowded at all. I was the only one between 7-11 pm
* Might have to take internal train if you are near B, C gates
* Different food menus for breakfast/lunch/dinner

Marhaba Lounge near B gates:
* Ok food. Not many vegetarian options. I just ate salad
* Very crowded
* Spent 1 hour 30 mins

Sleep n Fly lounge near A gates:
* Pod type sleeping. Pillow provided. Light can leak from holes in ceiling of pod.
* More crowded
* Spent 6 hours

I didnt do any reservation in any of the lounges.

Thank you for the useful feedback!
Old Jun 30, 2022, 1:55 pm

Programs: QF LTG AC *G
I used to (2018) transit Dubai for 10 - 12 hours regularly. My preferred option was to go to one of the private beach clubs. They used to charge $20-30 for entry. At DXB, you can store baggage at the airport in lockers. Take a daypack with valuables, essentials and jump on the Dubai metro train to the nearest station and uber the remainder. These places often have toilets, showers, restaurants, bars, cabanas to rent and lockers for stuff. I'd do a couple of hours work with their WIFI, take a swim, get a good meal, some sunshine and relax before my next flight.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 7:49 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by HeyAussie
I used to (2018) transit Dubai for 10 - 12 hours regularly. My preferred option was to go to one of the private beach clubs. They used to charge $20-30 for entry. At DXB, you can store baggage at the airport in lockers. Take a daypack with valuables, essentials and jump on the Dubai metro train to the nearest station and uber the remainder. These places often have toilets, showers, restaurants, bars, cabanas to rent and lockers for stuff. I'd do a couple of hours work with their WIFI, take a swim, get a good meal, some sunshine and relax before my next flight.
bidi bondi is closed now

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.