Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Big & Bad Changes to EK Redemptions and Upgrades - June 2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2021, 1:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond

besides QF, does anyone know which partner still has space to EK F after September 2021?
Old Jun 9, 2021, 12:35 am

Programs: NZ
Originally Posted by Jma12
besides QF, does anyone know which partner still has space to EK F after September 2021?
None that I know of, but interested to hear what others say.

In 2017 QF and EK extended their partnership by 5 years so that should come up for renegotiation in 2022. Even if they extend again I wouldn't be surprised to see F awards going. EK have even made it more expensive for Skywards members to get F awards by eliminating Flex F awards for return tickets from 1 July 2021. They will all be priced at Flex Plus rates.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 2:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by minz56
None that I know of, but interested to hear what others say.

In 2017 QF and EK extended their partnership by 5 years so that should come up for renegotiation in 2022. Even if they extend again I wouldn't be surprised to see F awards going. EK have even made it more expensive for Skywards members to get F awards by eliminating Flex F awards for return tickets from 1 July 2021. They will all be priced at Flex Plus rates.
Perhaps with TP when they have a agreement, but it is unlikely.. I wish I redeem more EK F when I had the chance!
Old Jun 9, 2021, 6:26 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Has that been communicated anywhere? Looking at future redemptions, and they do all seem to be Flex Plus.

Plus, there also maybe a change in that Saver Business class cannot be upgraded in advance... @m3red is looking at that one.

This almost needs a thread of its own!
Old Jun 9, 2021, 2:32 pm

Programs: NZ
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Has that been communicated anywhere? Looking at future redemptions, and they do all seem to be Flex Plus.

Plus, there also maybe a change in that Saver Business class cannot be upgraded in advance... @m3red is looking at that one.

This almost needs a thread of its own!
When I use the Emirates Miles Calculator I see the following in the notes:

First Class Flex Classic Rewards will be available for travel until 30 June 2021.

For travel from 1 July 2021 onwards, only First Class Flex Plus Classic Rewards will be available for all First Class one-way and return bookings
Old Jun 9, 2021, 11:06 pm
Original Poster

Wow, EK F is going to get really expensive. I guess the new sweetspot is upgrade from J to F, but AFAIK cheapo J fare does not qualify for ug.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 11:27 pm

Which booking class do F Flex Plus awards book into?

If it books into something other than Z, perhaps this means that Z class is permanently going away from 1 July 2021 onwards?
Old Jun 9, 2021, 11:49 pm
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by Jma12
Wow, EK F is going to get really expensive. I guess the new sweetspot is upgrade from J to F, but AFAIK cheapo J fare does not qualify for ug.
In the past, J Flex to F and J Flex + to F required the same number of miles. I see in the calculator that from Flex+ the number of miles has not changed, from Flex it has increased by 15%
Old Jun 10, 2021, 1:02 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by thijsseh
In the past, J Flex to F and J Flex + to F required the same number of miles. I see in the calculator that from Flex+ the number of miles has not changed, from Flex it has increased by 15%
and you can’t now upgrade J savers until check in
Old Jun 10, 2021, 1:50 am

Big & Bad Changes to EK Redemptions and Upgrades

As initially noted by minz56 it appears that EK have slyly made some big changes to Redemptions and Upgrades. Of course, none of these are good, and it's a big devaluation after they had the big sales of Skywards points earlier this year.

As far as I am aware, there has not been any official communication of this from EK.

F Redemptions

"For travel from 1 July 2021 onwards, only First Class Flex Plus Classic Rewards will be available for all First Class one-way and return bookings"

J -> F Upgrades

It doesn't now seem possible to upgrade J Saver to F in advance. m3red has a flight booked in J saver that can't be upgraded, even though upgrades are showing from J Flex to F. The mileage calculator still shows it's possible, so I wonder if they'll only allow upgrades at check-in?

As noted by thijsseh , "In the past, J Flex to F and J Flex + to F required the same number of miles. I see in the calculator that from Flex+ the number of miles has not changed, from Flex it has increased by 15%". I can also see that a UK-> DXB Flex upgrade has gone from 30k to 34k.

From what I can see, J redemptions haven't be touched yet... but I'll be trying to use my points ASAP!
Old Jun 10, 2021, 2:02 am

My flights are in J flex (upgraded to F) so I can upgrade them but I’m guessing I will be charged the new rate when I move them.

EK really need to communicate these changes to customers. One could argue it’s unfair sales practices by selling miles at a heavily discounted rate with big campaigns and then putting up prices and not bothering to communicate them...

It’s definitely not industry leading transparency.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 5:21 am

Are there any changes from Y to J upgrades?

Thanks.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 5:25 am

Originally Posted by Longton
Are there any changes from Y to J upgrades?

Thanks.
not that we’ve seen but i’m sure it’s coming.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 7:59 am

Programs: Skywards Silver
I upgraded two weeks ago from Y Flex to J Flex ZRH-DXB-ZRH for flights in early Nov. At that time upgrades from Y Flex and Y Flex Plus to J were possible. Upgrades from Y Saver to J Saver only possible at check-in counter.

Just did a dummy booking for another flight in late Nov also ZRH-DXB-ZRH and can confirm this is still the case. That is definitey new, as I was able to upgrade from Y Saver to J Saver in the past (though usually book Y Flex to upgrade and have not flown on EK for over a year due to all the Covid restrictions so maybe missed any changes to the policy).

Could this also be “adjustments” in light of PE?

Mmmh🤔..some transparency on this from EK would be great!
Old Jun 10, 2021, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by Wanderlust_65
Upgrades from Y Saver to J Saver only possible at check-in counter.
Advance Y Saver to J upgrades have not been allowed for a while now. At least a couple of years I think.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.