Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Transit via Dubai - Travel back home from India to UK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2020, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Hi,

This is my first post on this forum and I was hoping for some advice.

I'm looking to travel from MAN to AMD around Xmas time. I'm a UK citizen with OCI and seems like my only options are EK or EY.

I know that I need a PCR test before departing UK to enter India but question is for the return:

EK requires Indian passengers to have a PCR test 72 hours before arrival in Dubai AND also a test on arrival at the airport in Dubai.

Does this also apply to UK Residents just transiting in DXB or Indian Citizens wanting to enter Dubai only?

1. Do I need to have a test done 72 hours in India before my return flight?

2. Do I need to be tested again in DXB on my return (I'd only be transiting)?

Any help would be really appreciated.
Old Dec 5, 2020, 12:57 pm

Welcome to Flyer Talk!

1) Yes - You have 96 hours to take the test before depature time, see https://www.emirates.com/uk/english/...ourists/#82485 you need to have a test to depart India for Duabi even if your only passing through. You should use a lab EK certifies. The same rules apply for EK and EY.

2) I would assume no, the UK does not require tests at present to enter the UK. If you enter Dubai, this is where it changes, EK does not require a test if your destination does not, so the UK does not require, EY seems to require a test to depart regardless. So your better on EK if your entering DXB otherwise go with whatever suits your timings and budget
Old Dec 6, 2020, 8:20 am

Programs: EK-Gold, SPG, Amex
Tests or otherwise, please be careful with the transit process. Indian outbound passengers are currently governed by the air travel agreements the Indian government has made with 20 odd countries. You can take an EK flight out of India, provided UAE is your final destination.

From the EK site: Travel eligibility

Flights to Dubai will be restricted only to below passengers travelling to the UAE:
  • UAE nationals
  • UAE residents whose final destination is UAE (Dubai residents require GDRFA approval and residents of other Emirates require ICA approval for entry)
  • Any Indian national holding any valid UAE visa whose final destination is UAE

Check the link: https://www.emirates.com/in/english/...ination/#81344
Old Dec 9, 2020, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

Thanks guys! Didn't realise EK was only flying out of Dubai for those whose destination was Dubai. I ended up booking with BA from MAN to BOM transiting in LHR in the end just to make things easier and simpler.

I just had a look at the rules again on the BOM airport website and it states RT-PCR test to be done "72 hours prior to undertaking" journey. I always assumed it was 72/96 hours before your arrival at the destination airport but this sounds to me like it's 72 hours before I board in MAN.

Just want to check I'm right on this?
Old Dec 10, 2020, 2:47 am

Programs: EK Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by neverenoughmiles
Thanks guys! Didn't realise EK was only flying out of Dubai for those whose destination was Dubai. I ended up booking with BA from MAN to BOM transiting in LHR in the end just to make things easier and simpler.

I just had a look at the rules again on the BOM airport website and it states RT-PCR test to be done "72 hours prior to undertaking" journey. I always assumed it was 72/96 hours before your arrival at the destination airport but this sounds to me like it's 72 hours before I board in MAN.

Just want to check I'm right on this?
Yes its 72 hours before the start of your journey
Old Dec 10, 2020, 8:54 am

Programs: EK Skywards Gold; BAEC Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by neverenoughmiles
Thanks guys! Didn't realise EK was only flying out of Dubai for those whose destination was Dubai.
I called EK today to check on this, as I have a booking for HYD-DXB-LHR in Feb. Apparently this is an Indian Govt rule, and EK would still accept you onto the flight if you have a confirmed booking with an onward connection beyond Dubai, however, they may stop you at the departures immigration. In this case, EK would then find an alternative to re-route you to your final destination. These current rules are in place until 31st Dec 2020, but let's see if this changes from Jan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.