Search

JNB flights?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2020, 7:19 am
Ambassador, Emirates
Original Poster

Programs: SA KL BA EK
JNB flights?

I regularly see (on Flightradar 24) EK flights on their way to / from JNB. For instance EK765 is about to land at JNB right now. As South African airports are still closed for international flights, I have been thinking these were only operated for cargo. On the other hand, repatriation flights are allowed, but how could one book these? On the AF and KL websites they are available for booking a few times each month , but not on EK. I heard 'through the grapevine' that someone travelled JNB/DZB/DUB the other day. Matter of calling EK to book? I'm personally not interested, but a family member is quite desperate to 'escape' South Africa.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 8:25 am

Programs: EK Plat; QR Gold
Originally Posted by thijsseh
I regularly see (on Flightradar 24) EK flights on their way to / from JNB. For instance EK765 is about to land at JNB right now. As South African airports are still closed for international flights, I have been thinking these were only operated for cargo. On the other hand, repatriation flights are allowed, but how could one book these? On the AF and KL websites they are available for booking a few times each month , but not on EK. I heard 'through the grapevine' that someone travelled JNB/DZB/DUB the other day. Matter of calling EK to book? I'm personally not interested, but a family member is quite desperate to 'escape' South Africa.
Im trapped in SA at the moment. Initially caught out by the UAE closing their border to all but nationals, and now by SA’s restrictions.

I’ve checked several times with EK and the UAE embassy here, and haven’t been given any indication that repatriation flights are happening ex JNB. Ex DXB they were. My partner works at EK and has been keeping their ear to the ground and hasn’t heard anything. Haven’t checked for a week or so though.

I was initially quite happy to be here (SA managed the pandemic quite well initially) but I’d rather be in Dubai now, so if anyone has intel it would appreciated.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 11:17 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
cargo only, my neighbour has flown one (turnaround) 2 sets of pilots one for way down, one for the return.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 1:45 am
Ambassador, Emirates
Original Poster

Originally Posted by m3red
cargo only, my neighbour has flown one (turnaround) 2 sets of pilots one for way down, one for the return.
Thanks. The story about someone flying JNB/DXB/DUB must have been 'fake news' then!
Old Jul 26, 2020, 3:19 am

We are stuck in CPT - register with the US consulate (or consulate of your home country) they will send you frequent emails informing you of evacuation flights - mostly from JNB - with Emirates/Qatar/KLM/Ethiopian/Air France and sporadically From CPT - mostly KLM.

Tickets can be purchased one way only / you don’t go to the airport you go to a gathering point and they take you to the airport in a bus. You are responsible for your own onward ticketing, and need to have the necc paperwork for transit/ final destination,
Old Jul 26, 2020, 3:29 am

Originally Posted by m3red
South Africa is not allowing crew to layover - so all cargo and repatriation flights have double crew.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 3:36 am

Programs: EK Plat; QR Gold
Originally Posted by Petercbm
We are stuck in CPT - register with the US consulate (or consulate of your home country) they will send you frequent emails informing you of evacuation flights - mostly from JNB - with Emirates/Qatar/KLM/Ethiopian/Air France and sporadically From CPT - mostly KLM.

Tickets can be purchased one way only / you don’t go to the airport you go to a gathering point and they take you to the airport in a bus. You are responsible for your own onward ticketing, and need to have the necc paperwork for transit/ final destination,
I get the repatriation emails from the US consulate in JNB. Never seen EK on the list. Maybe I missed it.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 3:54 am

Check the last email - there was one 24th July and one coming up 28th of July ex JNB.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 3:27 am
Ambassador, Emirates
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Petercbm
Check the last email - there was one 24th July and one coming up 28th of July ex JNB.
With the latest developments in Dubai (requiring a less than 96 hours old negative Covid19 test certificate before boarding a DXB bound flight), it would appear that the EK route out of South Africa is no longer viable as I don't think those tests are available 'on demand' in SA.

Other lists of available out of SA flights are shown on the UK government website. From most of the hubs mentioned there (with onward flights to the UK), there should also be onward flights to the US.
Old Jul 28, 2020, 9:07 am

Programs: AF/KL BA GF EK EY LH QR
Johannesburg

Dubai

7, 9, 11 and 14 August

Depart 18:30

Arrive 04:30am

Economy Class Fares Start From ZAR 8500.00 and Business Class From ZAR 28,000
Old Jul 29, 2020, 2:26 am
Ambassador, Emirates
Original Poster

Originally Posted by XXTSGR
Johannesburg

Dubai

7, 9, 11 and 14 August

Thanks.

The problem for anyone wanting to be on one of these flights is going to be getting a Covid19 PCR test (plus the result thereof) within 96 hours of leaving JNB. From what I understand (and I may be wrong), tests are 'reserved' for those with symptoms or those working in high risk occupations (like healthcare).
I have just advised my family member who is desperate to leave SA not even to think about EK, but to consider TK, AF, KL or LH all of whom have flights out every now and then.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 11:22 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by XXTSGR
Johannesburg

Dubai

7, 9, 11 and 14 August

I checked the availability on all four flights in Economy and Business and received the following message:

Sorry, either flights are unavailable, or seats are not available on the flights for the dates/class you have selected. Please try a new search.

I find if difficult to believe there are no sests on any of the flights. Perhaps they haven't yet been approved by the South African authorities.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 6:48 pm

The problem for anyone wanting to be on one of these flights is going to be getting a Covid19 PCR test (plus the result thereof) within 96 hours of leaving JNB. From what I understand (and I may be wrong), tests are 'reserved' for those with symptoms or those working in high risk occupations (like healthcare).
Several of what I believe are private clinics offering tests in South Africa, including at weekends for some of them turn up if you follow this link. I've no idea how accurate the results are as it also gives several in Italy where anpther poster said private tests weren't allowed. The site for searching is referred to by Etihad in their Covid procedures.

https://screening.purehealth.ae/application#
Old Jul 30, 2020, 6:35 am

Programs: AF/KL BA GF EK EY LH QR
Originally Posted by Longton
I checked the availability on all four flights in Economy and Business and received the following message:

Sorry, either flights are unavailable, or seats are not available on the flights for the dates/class you have selected. Please try a new search.

I find if difficult to believe there are no sests on any of the flights. Perhaps they haven't yet been approved by the South African authorities.
Can’t book these online - online trough agent or calling EK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.