A bit of COVID-19 fun

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2020, 1:07 pm
Ambassador: Emirates
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: QF P1 + LTS, EK Gold, BAEC Gold, QR Gold, IHG Ambassador
A bit of COVID-19 fun

To celebrate the 32nd profitable year for EK in a row (and maybe the end of the run).

For a bit of fun i thought id ask for some of our unusual or memorable EK flying experiences. Can be about service or flying experience.

I was on EK414 last year. Usual routine; leave DXB at 2am, land at 10pm in Sydney. So sleep 7h, wake and be merry, spending 6+h at the J bar. I refused 2am breakfast and fell asleep. woke and did the usual check of ICE to see how far into the flight I was. I knew it had been a bit bumpy but nothing crazy. I had felt us descend for a bit but didn't think anything of it. Couldn't believe what I'd seen on the route map, so I connected to wifi and hit up FR24. We had flown at FL22 (22,000 ft) for hours of it over the ocean and south India. Have never been on a ULH flight that would fly at such a low level for 4+h. 1O was in the galley later and said it was highly unusual for him too but much turbulent air further up, and a larger fuel burn meant they were routing for a shorter flight. He didn't actually say why we had been at such a low level for so long.

It was unusual for me at least! Wish I'd looked out of the window to see it! What are your stories?
S c 0 TT y likes this.
Old May 10, 2020, 3:22 pm

Programs: Skywards
Nice.

Mines was approx 10 years ago onboard EK302 to Shanghai when I witnessed a fight after a drunk guy was banging on the toilet door when another passenger was inside. The door eventually opened, passenger spat on the drunk guy and the door closed again - all whilst I was sat in the bulkhead seat watching the scenes unfold. 10 years ago, and some could relate to this in present times, but all of a sudden this scene overtook ICE.
Old May 10, 2020, 3:49 pm

Mine has to be EK17 I think 2017, So we take off and the first turn you usually get when departing and then we seem to hold at 10,000ft and loop around twice if but not actually climbing. Thought it was me or something, pilot then announces we have a problem and we will be diverting. First I think is are we going to dump fuel for a few hours, was very pleased we stayed at 10,000ft and more then likely burned it off and landed at LHR. Sadly I was late for a wedding but I now had an official excuse and a nice EU261 claim in at the same time.
Ashok Khanna likes this.
Old May 17, 2020, 12:18 pm
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Apart from my first First and a shower at 36,000ft (separate flights), I will never forget Mr. Whisky in the B J lounge About To Kick Off In The Lounge
Metanoia and Bouncingsouls like this.
Old May 17, 2020, 7:28 pm

A new stewardess had started with Emirates and I knew (had worked beside) her brother in law. By pure coincidence she was on my flight and as a new girl she was handing out the kids' toys etc in Economy. She stopped to organise her bag of goodies in the exit row space, right in front of me, where I noticed her name badge and it clicked who she might be (not a common name).

At a quieter time I approached her in the galley and said I noticed the name on your badge. Are you from "country"? Yes. Are you from "district"? Yes. Are you from near "town"? Yes. And finally, are you from "small village"? Of course her jaw was dropping throughout this as she thought she must have a mad stalker on board, but when I said who I was and how I knew all that she was pleased to have a new pal on board, and made a point of telling the rest of the crew which helped keep the drinks and snacks going throughout the rest of the flight.
Old May 18, 2020, 6:53 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

I posted this at the time... but I think it's a good story.

On a MAN-DXB flight, we had a great time in the on-board lounge. The woman doing the bar was an absolute star, and made the whole flight really enjoyable. The purser was also great, despite not seeing that much of him as we hardly moved from the bar despite being in F!

After posting, I got a PM from the Purser! He was actually a FT member and had posted on this forum. He passed on my compliments to the other crew members.
sydtogla and Saltire74 like this.
Old May 18, 2020, 8:42 am

I was on a flight to Bangkok and around an hour out we hit some pretty bad unexpected turbulence and the captain comes over the PA “ Everyone take your seats now now now” I absolutely .... myself and the look on the crews face said it all.
Old May 18, 2020, 9:24 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by ekgoldmember
I was on a flight to Bangkok and around an hour out we hit some pretty bad unexpected turbulence and the captain comes over the PA “ Everyone take your seats now now now” I absolutely .... myself and the look on the crews face said it all.
We had a go-around at BKK when a storm passed over the airport (we were the last flight not to make it before the airport was closed). Ended up diverting to U-Tapao Airport for a couple of hours extra drinking on the ground
Old May 19, 2020, 3:43 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
VIE to DXB on Feb 2020.
Only 1 person in F (and it was new F as well) and arriving at DXB, we parked at remote gate.

Whole First Bus for myself. Was quite surprised as I never on that bus before.
Old May 19, 2020, 11:16 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by ekgoldmember
They’re the flights remember

In addition to what you’ve heard, the “strap the trolleys in now” is a good indication too

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.