Wiki Posts
Search

emirates vs qatar

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2020, 5:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Ambassador, Air NZ lowly Jade now, Emirates
emirates vs qatar

Flying out of AKL. Anyone have any thoughts on choosing EK over QR? Havent been to Doha before, so not sure what to see or do there for a stopover? Flip side I have a friend in Dubai that I like to see if I can on the way, but not a big deal if I didnt J flights to Paris are actually quite reasonably priced at the mo and the saving is something like NZD3K for the 2 of us, so just wondering if there is any pressing reasons not to fly QR? The Q suites look good. Cant see us being able to use points but then again, cant really use points on EK anymore either as they don't fly out of AKL to Australia anymore except as code share wwith Qantas which is no good for using points.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Susiew237
Flying out of AKL. Anyone have any thoughts on choosing EK over QR? Haven't been to Doha before, so not sure what to see or do there for a stopover?
Flip side I have a friend in Dubai that I like to see if I can on the way, but not a big deal if I didn't J flights to Paris are actually quite reasonably priced at the mo and the saving is something like NZD3K for the 2 of us, so just wondering if there is any pressing reasons not to fly QR?
The Q suites look good. Cant see us being able to use points but then again, can't really use points on EK anymore either as they don't fly out of AKL to Australia anymore except as code share with Qantas which is no good for using points.
Is Paris the final destination?
Stopover in DXB or DOH if possible? [may cost extra]
Been to DXB before?
What is the schedule/ over all travel time for both?
QR is Oneworld. EK is a ff partner of several airlines. Both EK & QR are frequent flyer partners of QF. So do not need to credit ff miles to the operating airline's ffp if you do not want to.

With awards you fly on the native flight number of the partner airline. So with EK ff miles you can get awards on QF, subject to availability. Not codeshares

https://www.wheretocredit.com/ek/j
https://www.wheretocredit.com/qr/j
Old Jan 4, 2020, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

yes paris final destination.
happy to stop in either DXB or DOH. Emirates flights are more expensive though at the moment (this is for September flights)
Ah, so are you saying that I should credit points to Qantas. I'm not a member but could join up and would be way more likely to actually use the points then. Had never thought of that before. Don't particularly like Qantas that much though and tend to fly Air NZ between NZ and Australia but hey a free flight (or upgrade) is what it is... free!
Old Jan 4, 2020, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not saying you "should" credit to QF, but you "could". Or to another ffp. As this is FT flying and not getting ff miles is heinous crime.

I note you have Emirates in your profile. Are you a member off the Emirates ffp? If you have Emirates points you can use on QF & JQ. But not for QF upgrades.

Great Circle Mapper
Would need to crunch the numbers to determine ff point earning with QF ffp or another ffp.
With QR AKL-DOH-CDG 9400 & 3000 QF points one way & some status credits.
With EK AKL-DXB-CDG 9400 & 4000 QF points one way & nil status credits.
QF award AKL-BNE economy one way 18,000 points plus some cash
Are better ffp's than QF, but limited by the airlines you earn on.

QF fly B737 & A330 NZ<---> Au. Not worth upgrading on B737 (Or NZ A320)
QF ffp has a $ joining fee, which is easy to avoid.
And Jetstar JQ is owned by QF

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jan 4, 2020 at 7:31 pm
Old Jan 4, 2020, 7:23 pm

Take Qatar if it's saving you money. I personally prefer DXB to DOH and EK to QR, others disagree and it's all about personal tastes. Q Suite is nice,but QR have a reputation for changing planes so unless your route is different, watch out for this. Saying that, both airlines have perfectly adequate J seats, even if folk make a song and dance over the 6 middle seats (from 42 total) in EK's B777s.

If price, timing, connections etc were the same I'd go EK. If any of these were significantly better on QR, I wouldn't mind moving and have recently made a couple of QR bookings despite many years as Gold with EK (with a few months Silver on occasion).

You can earn and spend EK miles on Jetstar flights, or spend on easyJet if you're in Europe long enough.
Mwenenzi and Will08 like this.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ft101
Take Qatar if it's saving you money. I personally prefer DXB to DOH and EK to QR, others disagree and it's all about personal tastes. Q Suite is nice,but QR have a reputation for changing planes so unless your route is different, watch out for this. Saying that, both airlines have perfectly adequate J seats, even if folk make a song and dance over the 6 middle seats (from 42 total) in EK's B777s.

If price, timing, connections etc were the same I'd go EK. If any of these were significantly better on QR, I wouldn't mind moving and have recently made a couple of QR bookings despite many years as Gold with EK (with a few months Silver on occasion).

You can earn and spend EK miles on Jetstar flights, or spend on easyJet if you're in Europe long enough.
Thanks for your thoughts.
Yes I think in this case, money talks, so most likely to go Qatar, although I am still dithering over it. Flight deals on emirates at the moment as well that finish tonight, but the difference in pricing is quite significant sadly. I am quite the A380 fan on emirates.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Flying out of AKL. Anyone have any thoughts on choosing EK over QR? Havent been to Doha before, so not sure what to see or do there for a stopover? Flip side I have a friend in Dubai that I like to see if I can on the way, but not a big deal if I didnt J flights to Paris are actually quite reasonably priced at the mo and the saving is something like NZD3K for the 2 of us, so just wondering if there is any pressing reasons not to fly QR? The Q suites look good. Cant see us being able to use points but then again, cant really use points on EK anymore either as they don't fly out of AKL to Australia anymore except as code share wwith Qantas which is no good for using points.
Assuming that this is a roundtrip from AKL to CDG, if you fly QR flights in Business, I would suggest crediting the flights to either AA or IB. Both of those programs offer reasonable redemption rates on NZ-Australia flights on QF -- although IB will pass on carrier surcharges, if any, that QF may have on such flights. If you do credit to IB, then assuming that each of your QR segments has a separate flight number, you would have oneworld Ruby status (lowest elite tier) when you got home to NZ, and you would be achingly close to oneworld Sapphire status (mid-tier elite). Here's a blog post about the value of crediting QR Business Class flights to the Iberia Plus frequent-flyer program:

https://insideflyer.co.uk/2019/03/qa...f-iberia-plus/

Last edited by guv1976; Jan 4, 2020 at 8:35 pm
Old Jan 5, 2020, 2:27 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by ft101

The flights should all be A380 on EK, so not an issue with a middle seat here.

In fact, that would be my reason for flying EK rather than QR in this case... I much prefer the A380 over the B777.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
The flights should all be A380 on EK, so not an issue with a middle seat here.

In fact, that would be my reason for flying EK rather than QR in this case... I much prefer the A380 over the B777.
One of the twice daily AKL flights is a 777 but easy enough to avoid if you're careful.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 2:07 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
Im AKL based and i find the EK evening departure a perfect time - also allows a full day work - so I go with that. For the savings as per above i'd definitely go with the Qatar Q Suites! Avoid the EK 777 Business at all costs
Old Jan 5, 2020, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

thanks everyone for your thoughts. In the end, we stumped up the extra $$ and have booked EK. A380's all the way.

Number of reasons in the end -
- preference for EK and especially the A380, it's good to be able to move around and go to the bar for a cuppa and a chat when wide awake and bored. Whilst Q suites all look very nice and the on demand dining a plus, I feel like I'll be stuck in a pod for way too long.
- hopeful to be able to use some points to upgrade to first on DXB to CDG leg if it comes available before our points expire
- preference to go through DXB and catch up with some friends rather than transit Doha
- slight concern over political issues Qatar having with it's neighbours so makes it close to impossible to do a quick flight out to DXB if we had wanted to
Old Jan 5, 2020, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good you got it sorted

thanks everyone for your thoughts. In the end, we stumped up the extra $$ and have booked EK. A380's all the way.
<snip>
- hopeful to be able to use some points to upgrade to first on DXB to CDG leg if it comes available before our points expire
<snip>
Many other ffp's do not have hard expiry. Some like, UA & DL, never expire. Others stay alive with an eligible activity every X months.
Expiry Miles/Points that Do and Don't Expire. Click to open the wiki.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 2:21 am

Not directly related to OP's route but I've compared GLA-DXB-MEL and EDI-DXB-MEL with Emirates and EDI-DOH-MEL Qatar for a Business Saver on exactly the same dates. Qatar is 25% dearer than Emirates and doesn't include chaffeur drive pick up. No brainer on this route, Emirates every time on price.
Bouncingsouls likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.