Wiki Posts
Search

Downgrade Refund

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2019, 7:16 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
As has been said, you are entitled to 75% of the downgraded sector (not including taxes but including surcharges) under EU regulations.

Work out the percentage of the distance of the downgraded sector, and use this to calculate how much you should be refunded.

There are some examples on the EC261 thread on the BA forum.

ETA :- Now that I'm back on a proper computer...

MAN-DXB = 3518 miles
DXB-BKK- 3050 miles

So, the return is 13135 miles.

The DXB-BKK leg is 23.2% of the total.

Let's say the F return is £5000 not including government taxes.

23.2% of £5000 = £1160

So, under EC261 you'd be entitled to 75% of £1160 = £870

*I think
OP has already advised us that this was a ticket between two points outside the EU and he is, of course, booked on a non-EU carrier. Thus, on both counts, EC 261/2004 does not apply and the refund will be calculated as per the carrier's own contractual obligations.

No 75% for him.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
MAN-DXB = 3518 miles
DXB-BKK- 3050 miles

So, the return is 13135 miles.

The DXB-BKK leg is 23.2% of the total.

Let's say the F return is £5000 not including government taxes.

23.2% of £5000 = £1160

So, under EC261 you'd be entitled to 75% of £1160 = £870

*I think
Thanks, I will do a calculation for my trip upon return to the UK. I booked F out and J return so will have to juggle the figures to suit. By then EK might have come up with their figure, if not I will phone them. Would be very nice to receive something as posters on this thread and others I have looked seem to expect next to nothing.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 7:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Often1
OP has already advised us that this was a ticket between two points outside the EU and he is, of course, booked on a non-EU carrier. Thus, on both counts, EC 261/2004 does not apply and the refund will be calculated as per the carrier's own contractual obligations.

No 75% for him.
Isn't MAN part of the EU (at least for now)?
mjmal51 likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 8:45 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by JamesKidd
This makes sense, I don't see a point of bringing in the fare type (F saver, J flex, etc). It only matters how much you paid and working out the approx fare of the affected sector.
Well, there are 2 different approaches here, the one being the 'EC261 approach' and the other one the 'fare difference approach', which would apply where EC261 does not apply.
As the flight originated in the UK, EC261 should apply but EK might want to see it otherwise as they are not known to be consistently sympathetic to EC261 (read: 'they might try to weasel out of it using 'DXB/BKK does not fall under EC261' as an argument). So it is not completely irrelevant to mention the less favourite option as well. But on the face of hit I agree that EC261 should apply.
Will08 likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 8:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by moondog
Isn't MAN part of the EU (at least for now)?
Yes, MAN is in the EU (and EC 261/2004 will apply to the UK even after its presumed exit from the EU).

But, OP advises that this was between DXB and HKT, neither of which are in the EU and don't appear likely to sign up.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 8:54 am

Yes, MAN is in the EU (and EC 261/2004 will apply to the UK even after its presumed exit from the EU).

But, OP advises that this was between DXB and HKT, neither of which are in the EU and don't appear likely to sign up.
My reading was that his ticket was MAN-BKK.
mjmal51 likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 9:15 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Please read the thread properly before complicating a simple issue with mis-information.

The flight was MAN-DXB-BKK which is covered by EC261.
mjmal51 and Will08 like this.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 11:01 am

I believe you've got OP mixed up with another user who posted their experience with EK downgrade reimbursement
mjmal51 likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 4:44 pm
Suspended

OP flew MAN-DXB-...., you're confused and not helping the OP with this post.... Indeed, however, you are right that neither DXB nor HKT will likely be joining the EU anytime soon...
Old Nov 29, 2019, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for for the input guys. I will update with the EK reimbursement offer when I get it or after I get back to the UK. Good to see that EC261 should apply as it was a UK booking (MAN-BKK).
Old Nov 30, 2019, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Seems as though I applied too early and need to reapply after my return journey, this is part of their computerised reply I received today.
"Request you to send refund request once the ticket is fully flown"
My fault as this is new to me.
JamesKidd likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 3:40 am

OP advises that this was between DXB and HKT, neither of which are in the EU and don't appear likely to sign up.
Originally Posted by mjmal51
The route was MAN-DXB-BKK, booked in F with the DXB-BKK downgraded to J.
A flight from MAN-DXB-BKK is covered by EC261 and if a refund is not forthcoming then OP can take action via arbitration scheme or MCOL.

Where connecting flights are involved, courts have generally ruled this to be in scope of EC261 even where the connecting flight is on another airline.

I do wonder why people try to sound authoritative and advise others without having a proper grasp of appropriate legislation.
DYKWIA and mjmal51 like this.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 11:49 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by simons1
A flight from MAN-DXB-BKK is covered by EC261 and if a refund is not forthcoming then OP can take action via arbitration scheme or MCOL.

Where connecting flights are involved, courts have generally ruled this to be in scope of EC261 even where the connecting flight is on another airline.

I do wonder why people try to sound authoritative and advise others without having a proper grasp of appropriate legislation.
Ek will try it on for sure - let’s see...
thijsseh likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by simons1

Often1 While I greatly value your posts, I think it would be nice if you apologized to the OP in this thread for providing incorrect information. All of us (including myself) make mistakes, and it's important for us to own up to them ASAP because people do take our advice seriously.
mjmal51 and m3red like this.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 2:29 am

Originally Posted by m3red
Ek will try it on for sure - let’s see...
I'm sure they will, it's the EK way. In fact most airlines do.

Hence the need just to crack on and go to arbitration or MCOL as required.
mjmal51 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.