Wiki Posts
Search

Q about upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2019, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA[G], SQ[G], TK[G], DL[PM], EY[G], AF[S], IC[Amb], HH[G]
Q about upgrade

Hello, few weeks ago, a friend of mine used to have some miles expiring and he had no plans to travel.
Therefore he asked me if I wanted to use them and he issued on my name an award tix in business class for a two sectors oneway tix..

Then I had to change the date and I was perfectly able to do that.
I noticed that systems offers the chance to upgrade with 40% discount to F class (actually one sector has availability and it seems you can upgrade just on e leg) but he has no more miles in his account.

First question is: is then possible to upgrade an award tix with miles?
Second question: may I use my account (where I have miles) to upgrade? Or is there a way I can transfer some points (i.e. AMEX MR) to his account?

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 5:25 pm
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by paffendorf
Hello, few weeks ago, a friend of mine used to have some miles expiring and he had no plans to travel.
Therefore he asked me if I wanted to use them and he issued on my name an award tix in business class for a two sectors oneway tix..

Then I had to change the date and I was perfectly able to do that.
I noticed that systems offers the chance to upgrade with 40% discount to F class (actually one sector has availability and it seems you can upgrade just on e leg) but he has no more miles in his account.

First question is: is then possible to upgrade an award tix with miles?
Second question: may I use my account (where I have miles) to upgrade? Or is there a way I can transfer some points (i.e. AMEX MR) to his account?

Thanks in advance.
You can't upgrade an award ticket with miles. You will have to cancel and re-issue in F based on current availability and pricing
Old Oct 3, 2019, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick reply. Therefore it's just a wrong offer from the website, I suppost. Am I right?
Old Oct 4, 2019, 3:02 am

Originally Posted by paffendorf
Thanks for the quick reply. Therefore it's just a wrong offer from the website, I suppost. Am I right?
Can you give a link to the offer?
Old Oct 4, 2019, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Of course the current reservation is made with EK miles.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 11:29 pm

I think upgrading an award flight is OK, but you can't upgrade a flight that you had already upgraded (Y - J) with miles.

If the upgrade is indeed possible then yes, you can use your miles. Log in as yourself then select manage a booking using your friends name and PNR, or manage a booking first then your login credentials when prompted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.