Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Wait for an Op-Up or try with Miles?

Old Sep 30, 19, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ Elite*G; Skywards Gold; SPG/Marriott Gold; Accor Gold; GHA Platinum; Hertz President's Circle

I知 just about to fly out of EDI for AKL. I知 in J to DXB courtesy of a discounted miles upgrade from Y. EK448 from DXB to AKL tomorrow (1 Oct) is apparently heavily oversold in Y and J is full - lots of staff on the flight by all accounts (still some seats in F though). I知 Skywards Gold on a FlexPlus Y ticket, should I request an upgrade to J using miles in DXB, or simply sit tight and see if an Op-Up comes my way? All thoughts most welcome....
Old Sep 30, 19, 1:33 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by scottienz69 View Post
I知 just about to fly out of EDI for AKL. I知 in J to DXB courtesy of a discounted miles upgrade from Y. EK448 from DXB to AKL tomorrow (1 Oct) is apparently heavily oversold in Y and J is full - lots of staff on the flight by all accounts (still some seats in F though). I知 Skywards Gold on a FlexPlus Y ticket, should I request an upgrade to J using miles in DXB, or simply sit tight and see if an Op-Up comes my way? All thoughts most welcome....
Depends how much you want to sit in j...

more chance if you volunteer to use miles but gold and flex plus would put you quite high on the list - depends on how many seats are left and how many platinum on board
Old Sep 30, 19, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ Elite*G; Skywards Gold; SPG/Marriott Gold; Accor Gold; GHA Platinum; Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by m3red View Post
Depends how much you want to sit in j...

more chance if you volunteer to use miles but gold and flex plus would put you quite high on the list - depends on how many seats are left and how many platinum on board
It just under 16 hours from DXB to AKL, so J would trump Y, even @ 63k miles for the upgrade.
Old Sep 30, 19, 1:49 pm

It just under 16 hours from DXB to AKL, so J would trump Y, even @ 63k miles for the upgrade.
How long is the layover ?

keep checking the mobile Bp as you may be lucky - if you have a long layover then go to the skywards desk and ask them to waitlist you for a j miles upgrade - this will then be processed or not when the flight closes as t-1
Tanzguy likes this.
Old Sep 30, 19, 1:53 pm

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
You could wait till boarding to see if you get an opup and if not then upgrade onboard with miles but if it is as full as you say in J then it is a gamble as there may be no space left to upgrade
Old Sep 30, 19, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

I致e got just under three and a half hours in DXB, so will see what the mobile BP does when I land and get into the lounge.
Old Sep 30, 19, 2:01 pm
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Hmm, they are still selling Y seats (Y7 - B7). It痴 J1 and as per the seat map all J seats are allocated.
So if Y is oversold (which it may be) they値l have to upgrade J to F.
Not sure how many Plars there will in Y be on that flight, they are the only ones trumping you.
Difficult call. If it was me and I was 僧iles rich I would spend them as 16 hours in Y is too awful to contemplate. But on the other hand you have booked it, so you are obviously game for it.

If there are no op upgrades, you probably won稚 get a 壮pace available miles upgrade so you might not even have that choice in reality. So hold out for op up, I guess.
Hope this make sense.....
Old Sep 30, 19, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thijsseh View Post
Hmm, they are still selling Y seats (Y7 - B7). It痴 J1 and as per the seat map all J seats are allocated.
So if Y is oversold (which it may be) they値l have to upgrade J to F.
Not sure how many Plars there will in Y be on that flight, they are the only ones trumping you.
Difficult call. If it was me and I was 僧iles rich I would spend them as 16 hours in Y is too awful to contemplate. But on the other hand you have booked it, so you are obviously game for it.

If there are no op upgrades, you probably won稚 get a 壮pace available miles upgrade so you might not even have that choice in reality. So hold out for op up, I guess.
Hope this make sense.....
I did 16.5 hours going the other way from AKL to DXB in Y last week - had 3 Y seats to myself blocked out by AKL ground staff, which made it more than bearable. Not sure I値l get so much space this time though if I stay downstairs.
Old Sep 30, 19, 9:43 pm

Programs: EK platinum
If a miles upgrade is available, my motto is Miles = Certainty. Then the tension goes out of it all.

My advice, with 16 hours in Y ahead as a real possibility, spend the miles and relax.
Old Sep 30, 19, 10:59 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice folks - it's very much appreciated!

I'm in the A lounge at DXB now - have wait-listed for an upgrade using miles after refreshing my mobile BP on arrival into DXB from EDI this morning - currently at T-2, so I might know if I'm upstairs on the BIG Bird in around an hour or so....
Old Sep 30, 19, 11:02 pm
Ambassador: Emirates
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: EK Gold, IHG Plat, QF SG, HH Gold, KLM FB
Thanks for the advice folks - it's very much appreciated!

I'm in the A lounge at DXB now - have wait-listed for an upgrade using miles after refreshing my mobile BP on arrival into DXB from EDI this morning - currently at T-2, so I might know if I'm upstairs on the BIG Bird in around an hour or so....
Excellent. Keep us posted. I know where I'd rather be on that length of flight!!
Old Oct 1, 19, 12:17 am
Original Poster

T-1 and no upgrade....looks like I'll be eating some Emirates pizza mid-flight downstairs!
Old Oct 1, 19, 1:38 am

T-1 and no upgrade....looks like I'll be eating some Emirates pizza mid-flight downstairs!
Ouch!

j looked full so no space for you to move into
Old Oct 1, 19, 3:46 am
Original Poster

Hey, it痴 a 1st world problem, right? Y completely full as well!

Only 13 hours left to AKL, plus an extra hour on Air Lamb Chop to WLG afterwards, just for good measure....
Old Oct 1, 19, 8:12 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by m3red View Post
Ouch!

j looked full so no space for you to move into
Yeah, that's exactly what I was worried about. Well, some you win and some you loose....

Search this Thread
Search Engine: