Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hong Kong airport bag drop

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2019, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Hong Kong airport bag drop

Hi guys I am leaving from hkg tomorrow but unfortunately there will be protests... Does anyone know how early I can bag drop in the Hong Kong airport express terminal and also the airport itself? I noticed the previous departure to my flight which is leaving at 1910 is at 0750... Just thinking if they will allow me to bag drop but will be a bit of a headache if they don't! Travelling in business if that makes any difference
Old Sep 21, 2019, 11:13 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
At the airport it will generally be around 3 hours before departure. You should be able to drop bags off and check in at an airport express station from the morning of departure but best to check with EK given the ongoing protests and potential for disruption- tel: 2216 1088
AceCobra1 likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

Thanks
Old Sep 21, 2019, 8:30 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Never tried with EK, but with CX you can drop your bag any time same day. 11pm flight you can drop it at 7am if you want. HKIA has a central luggage facility aka CX doesn't have their own, so I think most likely you can check at Airport Express.

Would you mind checking back in how it went?

You probably already know, but today Airport Express is closed for all stations except Hong Kong Station (Central) and Airport. Airport Express In-Town check-in at Hong Kong Station, but nowhere else. Running at 10 minute intervals as normal. Protesters are attempting to congest the arteries to the airport today from 1pm, although the last time they tried they were thwarted by the authorities.

My recommendation is get to the airport by 1pm.
AceCobra1 likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 8:58 pm
Original Poster

Thanks That's me all bag dropped at the HK airport express. I can confirm that it is the same with cx so bag drop at HK airport express is from the morning but if dropping at airport it is only 3 hours before the departure... There is quite a lot of police at the HKAE station I'll update when I get the airport but will be going straight to departures so unlikely to be seeing much of the protests. Just hope the departures of airport isn't too congested. And I was told that EKs lounge openly opened from 4 PM?? And the guy doesn't seem to know if I can access the Qantas lounge? Any ideas ?
Old Sep 21, 2019, 10:40 pm
Original Poster

Situation Update: There is no updates! lol

So everything is pretty much as normal - the station isn't as busy as I thought it was to be honest. Except the usual checks for boarding pass/ passport, there is nothing special. All the shops a floor under the airport express is shut. There is a lot of police, couple with what appears to be tear gas rifles but they don't really seem to be particularly on edge or anything. Seems quite chilled.

Kowloon/ Tsing Yi station is closed as you mentioned, but police presence is noted.

On my way there on the airport express, I saw what must be a few hundred black shirt joggers running around the "cycling path" towards the airport. Furthur along that path, there is a police hut so I do not think that these joggers will likely get pass them unless I they force thier way through.

Airport wise, there is a least 3 media presence - also very much as normal. Arrivals is pretty dead due to the lack of people picking up thier friends/ relatives.

Final update is that the Qantas loungue is accessable to us EK users.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 10:43 pm

You can not drop your bag off at the airport express station anytime since the bag drop for Cx it is not open 24 hrs. I tried last year.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by AceCobra1
Thanks That's me all bag dropped at the HK airport express. I can confirm that it is the same with cx so bag drop at HK airport express is from the morning but if dropping at airport it is only 3 hours before the departure... There is quite a lot of police at the HKAE station I'll update when I get the airport but will be going straight to departures so unlikely to be seeing much of the protests. Just hope the departures of airport isn't too congested. And I was told that EKs lounge openly opened from 4 PM?? And the guy doesn't seem to know if I can access the Qantas lounge? Any ideas ?
I'm not sure, unfortunately. I've used the EK lounge before flights morning and afternoon, but never in between. I can confirm it's open from at least 6am until the 7:50am flight departs....but as for in between 7:50 and call it 2 or 3pm, which is your question I think, sadly I don't know.

Qantas lounge rules seem to imply Platinums and Golds for sure can use it. And "International Business", whatever that means. (every flight at Hong Kong is international; and what about First? lol) https://www.qantas.com/hk/en/qantas-...ng-lounge.html
Old Sep 21, 2019, 10:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by QRC3288
I'm not sure, unfortunately. I've used the EK lounge before flights morning and afternoon, but never in between. I can confirm it's open from at least 6am until the 7:50am flight departs....but as for in between 7:50 and call it 2 or 3pm, which is your question I think, sadly I don't know.

Qantas lounge rules seem to imply Platinums and Golds for sure can use it. And "International Business", whatever that means. (every flight at Hong Kong is international; and what about First? lol) https://www.qantas.com/hk/en/qantas-...ng-lounge.html
I can confirm that as long as one is traveling in J, Qantas longue is accessible. I normally go with BA/ CX so I tend to shower at the Qantas lounge then goto the CX next door but this time, it will be the EK lounge but doesn't look as good as the CX one on youtube lol
Old Sep 21, 2019, 10:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Centurion
You can not drop your bag off at the airport express station anytime since the bag drop for Cx it is not open 24 hrs. I tried last year.
Bag drop is allowed on the "morning" of the flight - not sure what time from though, but I would guess 5am ?
Old Sep 21, 2019, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by Centurion
politely, i thought it went without saying "while the counters are open." The CX counters are closed from about midnight until 5am, and AFAIK the "most open" of anyone, just given the # of CX flights at HKG. But otherwise you can indeed check your bags any time you want at the Airport Express station, as long as the counters are open. To paraphrase this thrust of the OP's query, I took it as is "can I still drop my bags off at the time the check in counters are being used for another flight." The answer is "yes".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.