Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Priority tags are constantly getting ripped off on purpose

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Priority tags are constantly getting ripped off on purpose

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2019, 11:57 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
FWIW as gold in Y my bags always come with the other J bags and I've never had tags ripped off
Old Sep 19, 2019, 12:09 pm

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
Somewhere around mid-2018 they went from a thick plasticized paper (think Australian bank notes) to very flimsy card stock. They're always ripped off at least partially but come out at the right time, for me
Old Sep 19, 2019, 12:53 pm

Programs: EK platinum, ET, SAS
Originally Posted by extramileage
This tag ripping issue has been discussed in another thread. Although I have never experienced it (flying any class), I would be curious to see if there's a pattern based on the point of origination.
I find all this very strange. I have never experienced this.

Whenever I check in in MEL, DXB, SIN, anywhere in Africa, UK or USA, the priority tag is always incorporated in the baggage tag by putting it in between the sticky sides as it is placed on the luggage, capturing it. They have never once been ripped off. I thought this was standard practice!

I
Old Sep 19, 2019, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by BadoRas
I find all this very strange. I have never experienced this.

Whenever I check in in MEL, DXB, SIN, anywhere in Africa, UK or USA, the priority tag is always incorporated in the baggage tag by putting it in between the sticky sides as it is placed on the luggage, capturing it. They have never once been ripped off. I thought this was standard practice!

I
That's the standard placement and if you see the other thread linked above you'll see photos of those being ripped off. Never happened to me either. I've just had some placed on my bag just now at MUC, flying Y. Let's see what comes out the other side...
Old Sep 22, 2019, 10:50 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Plat tags remained on landing (first) however my bags came out with J. Not quite as bad as my last flight but certainly not the same experience as when flying F at the same destination.

Flying again on weds which is where my bags came out with Y a few weeks ago.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 1:13 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, QR Gold, HH Gold, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
They're first out and tags aren't ripped off, the two don't necessarily correlate, however, as the priority information is also contained in the barcode, and more importantly, priority tagged bags are loaded into a separate container for priority delivery, the sorting of priority bags doesn't occur at the destination airport.
Actually unless the F load is high or there are many Plats on-board, often 1st and Plat bags get mixed in the J ULDs. There will only be a dedicated ULD for F if EK can fill it.

When this happens, that means at the destination, the staff unloading the ULDs should ideally unload the J ULDs quickly onto the floor and quickly prioritise the F bags within them and place them on the carousel before the J bags.

Obviously this is more work than just unloading the ULD straight onto the carousel with whatever bag is easiest to reach. Unless supervised, ground staff tend to not bother with this.

In some stations there may also be space constraints or airport regulations that make unloading bags onto the floor prior to placing on the carousel unfeasible.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 4:35 am
pdh

We will see

Just boarded flight from CPT to CPH.

First Priority tags were put on bags (times 4 as traveling with my non status partner).

I am silver so should get priority tags in the first place. Let’s see what happens and if the bags come out first with tags intact.

Being CPH having priority baggage can mean an hour difference in you waiting for bags
Old Sep 23, 2019, 5:39 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by pdh
Just boarded flight from CPT to CPH.

First Priority tags were put on bags (times 4 as traveling with my non status partner).

I am silver so should get priority tags in the first place. Let’s see what happens and if the bags come out first with tags intact.

Being CPH having priority baggage can mean an hour difference in you waiting for bags
Are you silver (as per your post) or gold (as per your profile)?

I don't think Silver gets luggage priority, but I may be mistaken.
Will08 likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 5:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK Skywards Platinum; Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Im curious to see what happens to Plats or Golds at destination when they fly either J or Y (Gold). is there a pattern on the tags being ripped off?
Old Sep 23, 2019, 6:31 am
Ambassador: Emirates
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: QF P1 + LTS, EK Gold, BAEC Gold, QR Gold, IHG Ambassador
Certain outstations are terrible for this. Particularly in Glasgow during the summer crowds. EDI was very diligent, as is LHR. Sydney can be very hit and miss but I’ve never had a tag ripped off.

FWIW GLA still use hand baggage F tags both for your carry on but also as the red F tag for checked.

Also, every time I’ve been flown a mixed fare (as a Gold) that started in F and connected to J, I’ve had my bags delivered with F tags on with the other F luggage.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 6:40 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Silver status does not get you any priority tags.

I would agree LHR are normally pretty good. All of my flights as gold, my bags turned up with the rest of business. I have only had one inbound there as Plat and although the red tag remained my bag came out with Y bags. I will go through there on thurs so will see how it goes.

There certainly appears to be a problem with tags going missing when they are added to non status pax travelling with a status member. It has happened to me too many times for it to be a coincidence.

My work around is that I always check in all the bags in my name (normally only travel with one other person) and this appears to have fixed the problem.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 7:33 am

Programs: EK Gold, FB Silver
Originally Posted by torontoflyer
Im curious to see what happens to Plats or Golds at destination when they fly either J or Y (Gold). is there a pattern on the tags being ripped off?
It happened to me once or twice this year. I thought it was just torn off by accident, but when reading this thread, it might be on purpose. They were torn off neatly at the tags. I'm Gold but flying mainly Y. Don't remember the exact routing...
Old Sep 23, 2019, 7:35 am

Programs: EK Gold, FB Silver
Originally Posted by torontoflyer
I've been flying solo....so I'm the only passenger on the PNR. I'm going to write to EK and see what's the reason. By the way, on my flight back from IAH I did see other bags too with the tags ripped off. Very weird. there has to be some mechanism / reason in doing this. Im curious.
Please let us know if EK gives a sensible reply! :-)
Old Sep 23, 2019, 3:35 pm
pdh

Originally Posted by thijsseh
Are you silver (as per your post) or gold (as per your profile)?

I don't think Silver gets luggage priority, but I may be mistaken.
I am silver after being dropped to there in May. Haven’t been on FT as much as I used to.

In Cape Town there are only 3 business and first counters and they are right next to each other (and silver allows you to check in there). I have had 50/50 being silver and getting priority tags. But I know it is not policy and I shouldn’t be getting them.

Let’s see if they are still attached when i land in CPH
Old Sep 23, 2019, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by sydtogla
Certain outstations are terrible for this. Particularly in Glasgow during the summer crowds. EDI was very diligent, as is LHR.
I've had it the other way - EDI has been useless for me but GLA was always OK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.