Wiki Posts
Search

Seat charge

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2019, 10:53 am

Programs: Skywards
Here's the previous discussion on this topic
Old Jul 27, 2019, 11:05 am

In the GLA lounge now. Ticket desk told me they couldn't give me the exit row, which was always my route before, but when check in opened they could allocate it free. On board would be charged though which seemed odd! However, no need as I'd already been upgraded which is unusual here as they usually wait until check in closes before handing out new boarding passes for upgraded pax. It's well overbooked though so they must be sure Economy is going out full.
S c 0 TT y likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by ft101
In the GLA lounge now. Ticket desk told me they couldn't give me the exit row, which was always my route before, but when check in opened they could allocate it free. On board would be charged though which seemed odd! However, no need as I'd already been upgraded which is unusual here as they usually wait until check in closes before handing out new boarding passes for upgraded pax. It's well overbooked though so they must be sure Economy is going out full.
Well done on scoring an upgrade! You're right, its normally t minus 30 before boarding they start distributing upgrades so they may well be overbooked and then some.

Have a safe flight!
Old Jul 27, 2019, 12:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador elite & lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Emirates Plat, Flying Blue Plat
Well I have experienced this for the first time now, when the supervisor told me I could not take one of those emergency seats on the front row. I found it upsetting as the flight was delayed for 2 hours and the reason to ask to be on the front was to facilitate a speedy exit once in dubai for a connecting flight.

I finally got it because I was already seating in an emergency seat on the back, after she thoroughly checked I was on one of the ‘reserved’ seats, but otherwise she would not have allowed the move. She told me it was a new policy.

I find this a change in policy that brings very little extra revenue to Emirates (if any), and will create a lot of bad faith with customers, specially frequent travelers.

Whats the point really? Moving seats within the same cabin has been an accepted practice forever, when a seat is free, no issues changing. If one has a neighbor and there is another seat without neighbor, changing is fine. Taking a 3-row seat that is empty? totally fine and nobody asks us to pay for 3 seats. This is the practice and the ‘rules’ of travel we are used to.

If the emergency seat is empty, why not use it?
I would even say that emergency seats should always be occupied as the passengers there have a role to perform in case of emergency in helping open the door.

This seems like another cheap measure that decreases customer comfort rather than increase. Why? Have we seen any measures lately that go in the right direction for customers? I have the impression the answer is no.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 1:04 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by josep
Well I have experienced this for the first time now, when the supervisor told me I could not take one of those emergency seats on the front row. I found it upsetting as the flight was delayed for 2 hours and the reason to ask to be on the front was to facilitate a speedy exit once in dubai for a connecting flight.

I finally got it because I was already seating in an emergency seat on the back, after she thoroughly checked I was on one of the ‘reserved’ seats, but otherwise she would not have allowed the move. She told me it was a new policy.

I find this a change in policy that brings very little extra revenue to Emirates (if any), and will create a lot of bad faith with customers, specially frequent travelers.

Whats the point really? Moving seats within the same cabin has been an accepted practice forever, when a seat is free, no issues changing. If one has a neighbor and there is another seat without neighbor, changing is fine. Taking a 3-row seat that is empty? totally fine and nobody asks us to pay for 3 seats. This is the practice and the ‘rules’ of travel we are used to.

I would even say that emergency seats should always be occupied as the passengers there have a role to perform in case of emergency in helping open the door.

This seems like another cheap measure that decreases customer comfort rather than increase. Why? Have we seen any measures lately that go in the right direction for customers? I have the impression the answer is no.
It's a paid upgrade. And if the passenger didn't pay for it, the seat should remain empty. No difference, if somebody in comfort/premium economy (on a different airline of course), asking to be moved to business class because of empty seats, or business class being moved to first class. You get what you pay for, simple as that. I've been on many flights where first class was almost empty. I was glad to see they were only accepting paid upgrades. Actually, I would like to see all emergency exits without seats. No reason people need to be sitting in front of and technically blocking the exits. My opinion.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 1:19 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold

EK extra legroom seats are actually not all exit rows, as bulkheads are also included, so that negates the exit row argument. Many airlines don't allow people to choose premium seats after boarding when they weren't assigned a similar seat, especially LCCs
Old Jul 27, 2019, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by ft101
This actually makes complete sense. At check in the seat can be assigned with some discretion (it is unlikely pax on board are going to discuss whether or not they paid for the seat), whereas, on board I suppose passengers who have paid for exit row seats would be pretty annoyed seeing others move next to them for free.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

In my experience it doesn't matter how speedy your exit is, if your flight is delayed and it looks like you are going to be pushing it for your connection you may find you have already been removed from your next flight. I even got to the gate 45 mins before departure only to be told I had been put on the next flight.
Global Adventurer likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 2:52 am

Programs: EK Plat
Platinum members can now select extra legroom seats in advance for free. Not sure when exactly this change came about but it appears on the website and worked when I booked a flight this morning.

https://www.emirates.com/ae/english/...eat-selection/

Possibly the first (real) enhancement for Plats that I can think of since the program was introduced (the other recent "benefits" have ridiculous spending threshholds).
Tanzguy and Zol like this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 3:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lkaroo
Platinum members can now select extra legroom seats in advance for free. Not sure when exactly this change came about but it appears on the website and worked when I booked a flight this morning.

https://www.emirates.com/ae/english/...eat-selection/

Possibly the first (real) enhancement for Plats that I can think of since the program was introduced (the other recent "benefits" have ridiculous spending threshholds).
Perfect timing, I will be plat in 2 weeks..
Old Aug 5, 2019, 11:51 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
EK extra legroom seats are actually not all exit rows, as bulkheads are also included, so that negates the exit row argument. Many airlines don't allow people to choose premium seats after boarding when they weren't assigned a similar seat, especially LCCs
Definitely a trend amongst airlines. On my easyjet flight last month, the crew mentioned that exit and extra leg room seats were for those who had paid for it, and as there were a few spare seats invited people to pay onboard to upgrade. I've started to see seatmaps (was it Cathay?) where not only where the extra leg room seats marked up but window and aisle seats in the first Y cabin were charged at a slightly cheaper rate, but dearer than just choosing any seat as a "preferred" seat. Ryanair has now started charging for cabin bags because their checked in suitcase rates were punitive and everyone went to carry on. Now you can take a small back back, but not a roll on. I'm just waiting for them to start charging by weight. It will give me the incentive to go on a big diet!
Old Aug 5, 2019, 4:04 pm

I am plat, last week I flew economy flex ticket fare.
Before checking I was supprised to select the exit row seat because before it was possible with flex plus
I asked crew how much do they charge for the exit raw after getting the price about 85€ for 6h flight
As Plat I explained there is no charge before Check in and during check in why should I pay
after checking with the purser about 5 min the crew offered me the exit seat for free
If you are plat you are at home and feel’confortable
the exist seat it is the worest seat my advice keep the twin seat 47 on 777
on 380 exit makes sense for the single seat row 69 approx
Old Aug 5, 2019, 11:59 pm

Programs: EK Blue, EY Guest, AA, QR
DAC to DXB, the glorious 140 am departure …

Family of 4 are assigned the first row of seats D-G, which are likely paid (?)

Mom wants to move to same row, but H-K seats, with one infant, to nurse; H-K and A-C are slightly ahead of D-G and as such provide some privacy to a nursing mom....

Male cabin crew member panics seeing her in H-K, tells her its paid seats and makes a phone call (with the body language of someone who just discovered a suspicious bag in the WC), to the Purser asking what to do.

Matter amicably solved as purser said she can sit there while nursing, but has to eventually move back to D-G
Old Aug 6, 2019, 12:07 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by LonghornDXB
DAC to DXB, the glorious 140 am departure …

Family of 4 are assigned the first row of seats D-G, which are likely paid (?)

Mom wants to move to same row, but H-K seats, with one infant, to nurse; H-K and A-C are slightly ahead of D-G and as such provide some privacy to a nursing mom....

Male cabin crew member panics seeing her in H-K, tells her its paid seats and makes a phone call (with the body language of someone who just discovered a suspicious bag in the WC), to the Purser asking what to do.

Matter amicably solved as purser said she can sit there while nursing, but has to eventually move back to D-G
These are bassinet seats and usually available to families with lap infants. Even the A-C and H-K seats, I believe.

I think a good outcome by the purser there, a compromise that enables breast feeding and privacy while protecting EK's economic interests
argonath likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 2:17 am

Originally Posted by Will08
In my experience it doesn't matter how speedy your exit is, if your flight is delayed and it looks like you are going to be pushing it for your connection you may find you have already been removed from your next flight. I even got to the gate 45 mins before departure only to be told I had been put on the next flight.
I had this going to Johannesburg. Late arrival of inbound from London due to technical issue but got to the gate 40 mins before and they said I had been offloaded. Stood my ground, called a supervisor and flight was re-opened.

In fact I messed messed up, I should have left it and claimed €600 compensation on EC261.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.