Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Infant/bassinet - seat selection cost waiver?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2019, 2:11 am
Original Poster

Hi all
Hoping to fly EK to the EU in a few months now that QR economy got smaller.
Mum, dad, + 12 month old. We'll be booking 3 seats + requesting a bassinet.

Per here: https://www.emirates.com/english/hel...mpanied-minors

If we book and request (and get approved) the bassinet/bulkhead, we don't have to pay extra for seat selection? I.e. we'll get 3 abreast bulkhead gratis?
It seems straightforward but as the cost for seat selection to EU will add $000s to the booking wanted to be sure before selecting.

Anybody with experience of this?
Old Jun 17, 2019, 2:19 am

No experience, but if you've booked a seat for the 12 month old might it be classified as a child rather than an infant, so no guaranteed bassinet and half price regular and preferred seats?
Old Jun 17, 2019, 2:21 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

I'd suggest that you book this over the phone so you can confirm that the bassinet seats are available. The agent should be able to book your seats at the same time.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 3:49 am

From memory I don’t think we got charged for seat selection when booking the bassinet. Although i’m not sure if you’ll be approved if your child is too big - our 10 month old could barely fit in it and definitely couldn’t lie down to sleep. Agree that it’s best to call the customer service number to confirm.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 11:17 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by sleepy_jean
From memory I don’t think we got charged for seat selection when booking the bassinet. Although i’m not sure if you’ll be approved if your child is too big - our 10 month old could barely fit in it and definitely couldn’t lie down to sleep. Agree that it’s best to call the customer service number to confirm.
ours went in the bassinet once at 3 months that was it
Old Jun 17, 2019, 11:59 am

Programs: EK skywards Gold, BA, VS silver
12 month old will definitely be too big for bassinet, which is only for small babies unable to sit up on their own so I think think you will be able to have both bassinet and seat for your 12 month old and I doubt that you will be able to book a bassinet/bulkhead row for the same reasons.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JudeS
12 month old will definitely be too big for bassinet, which is only for small babies unable to sit up on their own so I think think you will be able to have both bassinet and seat for your 12 month old and I doubt that you will be able to book a bassinet/bulkhead row for the same reasons.
Thanks. Emirates states bassinet can take up to 11kg, which is 50th percentile weight for a 15 month old female baby, let alone a 12 month old! And ours is currently around the 35th percentile anyway.

Was it more length that was the issue as she's around the 80th percentile for length (unfortunately!)
Old Jun 17, 2019, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ft101
No experience, but if you've booked a seat for the 12 month old might it be classified as a child rather than an infant, so no guaranteed bassinet and half price regular and preferred seats?
Willing to pay the child fare to get the seat - but want the bassinet as well. So it's a Schrodinger's baby (simultaneously lap AND seat!)
thijsseh likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 12:17 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by akl_traveller
Thanks. Emirates states bassinet can take up to 11kg, which is 50th percentile weight for a 15 month old female baby, let alone a 12 month old! And ours is currently around the 35th percentile anyway.

Was it more length that was the issue as she's around the 80th percentile for length (unfortunately!)
It's a size issue
Old Jun 17, 2019, 12:59 pm
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Willing to pay the child fare to get the seat - but want the bassinet as well. So it's a Schrodinger's baby (simultaneously lap AND seat!)
Schrödinger. Perfect! ^

The only problem is that you won’t be certain where she is......
BadoRas likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 5:21 pm

Yep it’s the size. They’re also very particular about not allowing infants to sit in the bassinet so our boy, although he could sit but couldn’t lie down in it, wasn’t allowed to sit in there when seatbelt signs were off. In the end we used the bassinet as storage for bags/toys during the long haul flight.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 11:12 pm

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
If you want the seat, the bulkheads where the bassinets are are not great as you can't lift the arm rest. If you have 2 (or 3) seats, your baby can trie to lie across you on normal seats with armrest up.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by extramileage
If you want the seat, the bulkheads where the bassinets are are not great as you can't lift the arm rest. If you have 2 (or 3) seats, your baby can trie to lie across you on normal seats with armrest up.
+1. If you are going to pay for child seat, better off booking anything but bulkhead seats as you can lift the arm rest and let the baby lie down. Most airlines will not separate a family with a small child, so you could wait until T-48 and you'll most likely get 3 seats together without paying for it. Also, if you're flying outside the peak holiday season, chances are the flights will not be that full.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 11:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JamesKidd
+1. If you are going to pay for child seat, better off booking anything but bulkhead seats as you can lift the arm rest and let the baby lie down. Most airlines will not separate a family with a small child, so you could wait until T-48 and you'll most likely get 3 seats together without paying for it. Also, if you're flying outside the peak holiday season, chances are the flights will not be that full.
Brilliant. I think what I will then do is book the 3 seats without the bassinet.
PS the flight willll be full

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.