Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade availability LON vs BHX

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2019, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Upgrade availability LON vs BHX

Hi all,

Have finally decided to start using my AMEX rewards points for something productive, rather than just collecting them for the sake of it. It seems flight upgrades are one of the best uses so have delved into the world of upgrade hunting (Many thanks to all the previous FT threads on this, am learning a lot).

I'm looking to do a three/four day trip LON-DAC in May/June, leaving on a saturday and returning on a wednesday. I've used Expert Flyer there are a few D upgrade options for most legs of the journeys, but it seems an upgrade on the return and final DXB-LGW leg is completely elusive. I dont think I found any availability at all (unless ive done something wrong?)

Out of curiosity i looked at what was available on a BHX-DAC route and there seems to be masses of D-Class upgrade availability on all legs of the route, every day. As a train from london to birmingham is about £30, am seriously considering making my own way to BHX and doing the route from there.

Is this discrepancy in D class upgrade availability between BHX and LON quite common? Are any of you london based but take the hit and travel from BHX sometimes?

Interested in your thoughts!
Old Apr 18, 2019, 10:47 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Can't say whether it's common but I've done train and flown from BHX when I changed my flight a few days out and no availability ex LON. It's not that bad and train arrives directly at BHX airport. In India I often position (by air) to other cities, so a 2hr train is really not so bad
Old Apr 18, 2019, 10:51 am

Programs: Thai Silver,Skywards Silver,Gulf Silver, Interconti Prority Platinum, FR Priority Q!
I can only comment on my last two trips out of BHX in J in November( returning Nov) and December (returning Jan)
Outward on EK40 J was only 60% full on both flights. Returning on EK39 in Jan 75% full (mostly dozing ex Aus) but on EK37 in November 60%
The middle economy cabin upstairs was closed off on all flights indicating that Economy was not full.
Stats for the last few months show 82-85% full
SS
Old Apr 18, 2019, 3:50 pm

You will find more of an oppertunity to upgrade at BHX, LON has more premium traffic and FF who will be happy to use points to upgrade. If the schedue works and timings then go for it. Personally not a fan of BHX airport, just seems borning, lounge was nothing to shout about. Then again LHR is busy for a reason

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.