Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Connecting at DXB BA to EK with checked bags

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2019, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PPRO (OW Emerarld), BA Silver, DL PM

Posted a similar thread on the Middle East forum and no answers.

Arrive LHR-DXB on BA at 2345 and have booked an EK DXB-BAH flight at 0215. Separate tickets, separate PNR and will have a checked bag. Is 2 1/2 hours possible to reclaim the checked bag and transfer from T1 to T3? I've heard reports that it may be possible for the airport service company to reclaim my bag and recheck it on the EK flight without me having to clear immigration and reclaim the bag myself but I've never seen that anywhere else in the world. And of course the kicker that doesn't help timewise is I'm in a wheelchair…

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks
Old Mar 23, 2019, 2:06 pm

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Normally I would say 2.5 hours is fine to make the transfer but as a wheelchair passenger, the process may take longer. No personal experience but I have read Marhaba services can claim the bag and check it for you along with taking you through the transfer process quickly. I would definitely engage their services. Not sure if you need it but it includes lounge access IIRC
rollthere and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 3:51 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

I'd say 2.5 hours is almost impossible. The BA flight will be arriving at the busiest time , so expect holding on the approach. After taxiing, you'd then need to wait for everyone to disembark, which could be 20 minutes on a busy flight.

Next is immigration. That can take a while. Then wait for bags

After claiming getting your bags, You then need to do a T1-T3 transfer, which would be by bus.
​​​​​​
Check in cut off is 90 minutes before your flight with EK. So, you have an hour to the above.

Sorry to sound negative, but if you can get a later flight to BAH, I'd suggest that would be better.
rollthere and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
I'd say 2.5 hours is almost impossible. The BA flight will be arriving at the busiest time , so expect holding on the approach. After taxiing, you'd then need to wait for everyone to disembark, which could be 20 minutes on a busy flight.

Next is immigration. That can take a while. Then wait for bags

After claiming getting your bags, You then need to do a T1-T3 transfer, which would be by bus.
​​​​​​
Check in cut off is 90 minutes before your flight with EK. So, you have an hour to the above.

Sorry to sound negative, but if you can get a later flight to BAH, I'd suggest that would be better.
Thanks for that. Not very positive but obviously I’d rather be realistic. I will send an email to Marhaba and see what they say. I understand that they can fast-track me through immigration and reclaim my bag for me. However, as stated above I am in a wheelchair and usually last off the plane and that’s what will really slow me down. I didn’t realize that EK required 90 minutes check in. That really sounds like a long time although I would assume I could check in at the transfer desk in terminal 1, right? I know 2 1/2 hours is really cutting it short and just assume that if I missed the 0215 flight I will just have to wait around until 0820 for the next.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 4:49 pm
Suspended

90 minutes is the advertised cut-off, but is a recommendation. 60 minutes before departure is the hard limit.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 5:15 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by donpizmeoff
90 minutes is the advertised cut-off, but is a recommendation. 60 minutes before departure is the hard limit.
Are you certain about that? I'm pretty sure people have reported on here that they've been refused check-in < 90 minutes before their flight. And there is (or at least used to be) a 60 minute cut-off for going through passport check/security. Although saying that, I went through the SmartGates recently and I don't recall having to scan my BP.

Old Mar 24, 2019, 5:27 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
You don’t have a connection with separate tickets, so you may end up having to purchase a new EK ticket. I’d guess that 2.5 hours is very risky.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 5:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Are you certain about that? I'm pretty sure people have reported on here that they've been refused check-in < 90 minutes before their flight. And there is (or at least used to be) a 60 minute cut-off for going through passport check/security. Although saying that, I went through the SmartGates recently and I don't recall having to scan my BP.

i have a fundamental dislike for airports, so I aim to spend as little time in them as possible! It’s a rare day that I’m checking in more than 80 mins before departure. Have never had an issue.

E-Gates haven’t required the boarding pass scan for some months now. The smart tunnel is quite cool, but you still need to see the immigration guy as you exit.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

As the OP just wanted to post a quick follow-up. On my outbound I mis-connected and rerouted. On he way back I had a 3 hour 30 minute connection from EK to BA. We landed at DXB and of course were assigned a remote stand. Being in a wheelchair the drivers of the lift truck to T-1 rather than T-3 because of the connection and I thought that was a big mistake. I paid US$93 to Marhaba for the transfer assistance which did really pay off. We were met and taken to the transfer desk and then to the Marhaba counter (after going through immigration) and they were basically calling out names and numbers of checked baggage that they had recovered from other terminals. We didn't have to go to the BA check-in counter as Marhaba had already re-tagged our bags to the final destination. I think it was $93 well spent because otherwise there was no possible way primarily because we arrived at a remote stand and it took over an hour to finally get to the terminal.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 5:41 am

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Originally Posted by rollthere
As the OP just wanted to post a quick follow-up. On my outbound I mis-connected and rerouted.
Did you have to buy a new ticket to BAH then?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.