Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Changing Flights - Please help me understand the fare difference calculation

Old Jan 10, 19, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EY

Hello,

I booked a deal flight (Economy Special) on Cyber Monday, IAD-TRV. Roundtrip January 13-March 9. Total cost was $889. I wanted to change it to August 8/September 13, same routing. The cost of that flight is $1116, or a $227 difference. I realize there is a $300 change fee for my original ticket, so the expected 'credit' I should expect from my $889 ticket is $589. So the total difference I should expect to pay is ($1116-589=$527). However, when I plug the change into Manage my Booking, the total difference I'm told I have to pay is $685, or $158 additional to what I expected.

The taxes and carrier fees for each flight are $120 and $666, respectively. The fare for the first one $102, and the second is $329 ($227 difference). So the $300 change fee+$227 difference=$527 that I should expect to pay. Any idea why it is asking for $685 instead of $527? I've attached screenshots of the fare details and change fee breakdown. Thanks.

Original January 8/March 9 Fare Breakdown $890

New August 8/September 13 Fare Breakdown $1116

Change Fee Breakdown $685
Old Jan 10, 19, 6:00 pm

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by xobile View Post
Hello,

I booked a deal flight (Economy Special) on Cyber Monday, IAD-TRV. Roundtrip January 13-March 9. Total cost was $889. I wanted to change it to August 8/September 13, same routing. The cost of that flight is $1116, or a $227 difference. I realize there is a $300 change fee for my original ticket, so the expected 'credit' I should expect from my $889 ticket is $589. So the total difference I should expect to pay is ($1116-589=$527). However, when I plug the change into Manage my Booking, the total difference I'm told I have to pay is $685, or $158 additional to what I expected.

The taxes and carrier fees for each flight are $120 and $666, respectively. The fare for the first one $102, and the second is $329 ($227 difference). So the $300 change fee+$227 difference=$527 that I should expect to pay. Any idea why it is asking for $685 instead of $527? I've attached screenshots of the fare details and change fee breakdown. Thanks.

Original January 8/March 9 Fare Breakdown $890

New August 8/September 13 Fare Breakdown $1116

Change Fee Breakdown $685
For a reason I don’t understand, the fare breakdown shows a new fare of $488 instead of the $329 you seem to have picked up in the ‘fare detail’. The published ‘special ‘ fare (X bucket) is indeed 329. So the fare breakdown appears to give you a ‘saver’ fare (although I don’t see a 488 Saver fare on Expert Flyer).
I suggest you call Emirates to get clarity.
Old Jan 12, 19, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

Update: Called Emirates and they agreed that it was an error and should have been a total of $527 and said they will manually do it at that rate. Unfortunately this far out I don't know if I'll actually be able to make that August 8 booking, and all other fares in March/April/May were equally or expensive. Even doing TRV-DXB-TRV required another $361, as the agent needed to book me at an equal or higher price than what I paid before. I think I'll just cancel the ticket. I'll only get $120 back in taxes and fees but there's no real other good option for me. Chalk it up to a lesson to never book the Special/Deal fares unless you absolutely know you will be able to make the flight or are willing to eat the cost. Coupled with the fact that they are reducing baggage allowances on February 4, ie they will no longer will offer 2x23kg bags from US/Canada and it is reduced to 1x23kg on Special/Deal fares (Saver fares are generally $20 more an include a second bag) and there's no real good reason to book those Deal tickets, unless they are significantly less expensive.
Old Jan 12, 19, 11:42 pm
Ambassador: Emirates

Programs: Skywards Gold
Update: Called Emirates and they agreed that it was an error and should have been a total of $527 and said they will manually do it at that rate. Unfortunately this far out I don't know if I'll actually be able to make that August 8 booking, and all other fares in March/April/May were equally or expensive. Even doing TRV-DXB-TRV required another $361, as the agent needed to book me at an equal or higher price than what I paid before. I think I'll just cancel the ticket. I'll only get $120 back in taxes and fees but there's no real other good option for me. Chalk it up to a lesson to never book the Special/Deal fares unless you absolutely know you will be able to make the flight or are willing to eat the cost. Coupled with the fact that they are reducing baggage allowances on February 4, ie they will no longer will offer 2x23kg bags from US/Canada and it is reduced to 1x23kg on Special/Deal fares (Saver fares are generally $20 more an include a second bag) and there's no real good reason to book those Deal tickets, unless they are significantly less expensive.
Don't cancel yet, wait for schedule change or something that will get you a full refund. August + TRV = monsoon and possibly flooding so even weather waiver at the last minute could happen. Refund will be the same then as it is now if you end up cancelling without a waiver

I never book Special, they're too restrictive and usually Saver is barely more expensive (though even then I still prefer Flex)
Old Jan 13, 19, 2:49 am
Original Poster

I mean.. I have to cancel. The flight is is 7 hours. If I don't show up to the first flight I'll be a no show and definitely can't get anything back. If I change it to August I have to pay $527 out of pocket right now

Last edited by xobile; Jan 13, 19 at 3:11 am
Old Jan 13, 19, 3:17 am

I mean.. I have to cancel. The flight is is 7 hours. If I don't show up to the first flight I'll be a no show and definitely can't get anything back. If I change it to August I have to pay $527 out of pocket right now
Oh right then yes obviously. Thought the original was in August
Old Jan 14, 19, 8:13 am
Original Poster

I canceled, but what's really annoying is that the refund isn't automatic. I called, canceled it so they I was taken off the right, but had to fill in a form online and request a refund. There's no receipt or indication that I'll even get the $120 in taxes end fees back. I worry as by the time they read it it'll be past the original flight time. Another thing to worry about besides definitely losing the other $769 in fares and airline surcharges.
Old Jan 14, 19, 8:20 am

I canceled, but what's really annoying is that the refund isn't automatic. I called, canceled it so they I was taken off the right, but had to fill in a form online and request a refund. There's no receipt or indication that I'll even get the $120 in taxes end fees back. I worry as by the time they read it it'll be past the original flight time. Another thing to worry about besides definitely losing the other $769 in fares and airline surcharges.
It's annoying but shouldn't be an issue, it can take a few weeks, they do a manual calculation but generally should match what you worked out