Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

[EK NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (Flame Free) 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[EK NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (Flame Free) 2019

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2019, 10:42 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by Scott Wullbrandt
Hello all,

3 of us will be flying on EK July 3, 2019 from JFK to MXP returning 18 July.

We booked Business class saver on our outbound trip and economy flex for our return.

I checked online and I will be charged 1200 usd to upgrade to business but I read how many people have got This fee waived by calling the call center, I just got off the phone and they said I woulda have to pay it to upgrade on return.

does this sound right or should I call back and try again?

Thanks,
Scott
Hi Scott, welcome to Flyer Talk and the EK forum.

I am not quite sure what you mean (or understand) by ‘have got this fee waived’.
In order to upgrade your ticket you will (obviously) have to pay the difference in fare (and if applicable, any difference in taxes / surcharges). Now normally when you change a ticket, you would have to pay a ‘change fee’, the amount of which depends on the fare conditions (mainly dictated by the type of ticket). But most (if not all) fare conditions will specify that the change fee is waived when the change is a ‘cabin upgrade’, I.e from economy to business or business to first. So if the agent wanted to charge you a change fee, he was wrong if you just wanted to upgrade (and not also do a date change for instance). In that case, calling back and explaining you want the change fee waived should work.
But obviously, the upgrade itself is not free of charge!
Old Dec 2, 2019, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by thijsseh
Hi Scott, welcome to Flyer Talk and the EK forum.

I am not quite sure what you mean (or understand) by ‘have got this fee waived’.
In order to upgrade your ticket you will (obviously) have to pay the difference in fare (and if applicable, any difference in taxes / surcharges). Now normally when you change a ticket, you would have to pay a ‘change fee’, the amount of which depends on the fare conditions (mainly dictated by the type of ticket). But most (if not all) fare conditions will specify that the change fee is waived when the change is a ‘cabin upgrade’, I.e from economy to business or business to first. So if the agent wanted to charge you a change fee, he was wrong if you just wanted to upgrade (and not also do a date change for instance). In that case, calling back and explaining you want the change fee waived should work.
But obviously, the upgrade itself is not free of charge!
Thanks for the reply, and thanks for the welcome. To answer your question, I was just talking about the change fee. The operator told me he had to charge the change fee for the cabin upgrade on our return. 400 each for a total of 1200. He said if I called after we completed the first segment (jfk to Mxp) I would not be charged. I can’t understand why since we are only changing the upgrade to business in the return and I have no problem paying the upgrade fees and taxes. I just don’t want to play the 400 per person change fee.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 2:01 pm
Suspended

Thanks for the reply, and thanks for the welcome. To answer your question, I was just talking about the change fee. The operator told me he had to charge the change fee for the cabin upgrade on our return. 400 each for a total of 1200. He said if I called after we completed the first segment (jfk to Mxp) I would not be charged. I can’t understand why since we are only changing the upgrade to business in the return and I have no problem paying the upgrade fees and taxes. I just don’t want to play the 400 per person change fee.
From my past flights with Emirates my understanding is that there should be no change fee for an upgrade, but there is a fare difference (change in fare). Could it have been lost in translation? Also from some countries (e.g. UK) there is a change in taxes from economy to a premium cabin (J or F is irrelevant). How much was the fare difference they quoted over and above this "change fee"?
Old Dec 2, 2019, 2:31 pm

The fare difference was 649 per person and then 367 PP for the air transportation charges. He then quoted me the price of 4245.46 adding in the 400 per person change fee and tax. It came to 1,415,12 per person instead of the 1015 per person without the change fee. He said it was to to the flight we are taking to MXP but I can’t understand that because that is already a business class fare.

I am am going to call back and see if it was just a mistake.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 11:22 pm
Ambassador, Emirates

The fare difference was 649 per person and then 367 PP for the air transportation charges. He then quoted me the price of 4245.46 adding in the 400 per person change fee and tax. It came to 1,415,12 per person instead of the 1015 per person without the change fee. He said it was to to the flight we are taking to MXP but I can’t understand that because that is already a business class fare.

I am am going to call back and see if it was just a mistake.
To double check, what you can also do is try to do the upgrade on line, via Manage My Booking on the EK website. Go into your booking, and use the 'upgrade using cash' tab. There will be an option below the business class flight to choose your new class of service (in this case there will only be one option, 'first'). Click on that and it will work out the total upgrade cost and at the bottom of the screen is how the extra amount is calculated. There you will see the 'change fee', this is the fault on the website which is the reason you should not use this method to complete the upgrade this way (so back out of it at this point), but the amount quoted by the agent should be exactly the same but minus the change fee. I have done it this way several times and always been successful. Let us know what happens, please.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 2:49 am

It might also be worthwhile having the relevant part of the fare rules in front of you when you call so you can quote it verbatim. One I've got here says "CHANGE FEE IS
WAIVED FOR UPGRADE TO HIGHER CABIN"
Old Dec 3, 2019, 12:01 pm

I would like to thank everyone for there help, I was able to successfully get the change fees waived today, I ended up chatting online and receiving the quote there and then they called me for payment. I ended up getting upgraded to business special so no lounge access, chauffeur or advanced seat selection but that saved me$600 dollars and we are not going to use the chauffeur on the return flight anyways. If we do want to use the lounge it is $100 a piece.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 1:16 pm
Ambassador, Emirates

I would like to thank everyone for there help, I was able to successfully get the change fees waived today, I ended up chatting online and receiving the quote there and then they called me for payment. I ended up getting upgraded to business special so no lounge access, chauffeur or advanced seat selection but that saved me$600 dollars and we are not going to use the chauffeur on the return flight anyways. If we do want to use the lounge it is $100 a piece.
Glad to hear it worked out OK. ^
I think lounge is more expensive than $100 these days and you still meed too add tax as well. Seeing that it's three of you it would add back most of the savings you mention, but of course it's entirely up to you. Enjoy the flight!
Old Dec 8, 2019, 10:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: EK iO
Glad to hear it worked out OK. ^
I think lounge is more expensive than $100 these days and you still meed too add tax as well. Seeing that it's three of you it would add back most of the savings you mention, but of course it's entirely up to you. Enjoy the flight!
Depending on the duration of your layover, another option would be to take a cab to DIFC/Dubai Mall (or even Festival City, if you want to be sure to avoid traffic) - after the cab fare you are still left with $80 to spend on a nice meal per person.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 12:22 am
Suspended

Very off topic, but whatever happened to Skywardhunter?
Old Dec 12, 2019, 1:10 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Originally Posted by iFlyMoreThanYou
Very off topic, but whatever happened to Skywardhunter?

According to his profile, he has been suspended from FlyerTalk. This is normally due to infringements of the FlyerTalk rules and regulations, but detail of individual suspensions are never shared on the forum.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 1:38 am
Suspended

According to his profile, he has been suspended from FlyerTalk. This is normally due to infringements of the FlyerTalk rules and regulations, but detail of individual suspensions are never shared on the forum.
Ah right, didn't realize you could see this from someone's profile. Cheers
Old Dec 12, 2019, 9:20 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, AM
Hi guys,

I'm looking at redeeming a EK F flight through Qantas with a 6 h 40 m transit in DXB. I would like to experience both the F Class Lounge in DXB, as well as the Dubai Connect hotel. Thus I was wondering 2 things:-

1) Is the return chauffeur timing flexible? In that I can arrange to come back to DXB around 3 hours before the flight to experience the F Class Lounge.

2) If this is advisable?

Thanks so much in advance!
Old Dec 12, 2019, 10:05 pm
Ambassador, Emirates

Originally Posted by mationsbuds
Hi guys,

I'm looking at redeeming a EK F flight through Qantas with a 6 h 40 m transit in DXB. I would like to experience both the F Class Lounge in DXB, as well as the Dubai Connect hotel. Thus I was wondering 2 things:-

1) Is the return chauffeur timing flexible? In that I can arrange to come back to DXB around 3 hours before the flight to experience the F Class Lounge.

2) If this is advisable?

Thanks so much in advance!
You have asked this same question in the Dubai Connect thread and I have answered it there. As a gentle reminder, please note that cross posting is against the FT rules.

Last edited by thijsseh; Dec 13, 2019 at 12:47 am Reason: Corrected title of thread that I answered the question in
Old Dec 12, 2019, 11:44 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, AM
You have asked this same question in the chauffeur drive thread and I have answered it there. As a gentle reminder, please note that cross posting is against the FT rules.
My apologies, and thanks for the reminder!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.