Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

New Platinum benefit - miles don't expire

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2018, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK Plat

Just logged into my skywards account. And there was a message telling me that so long as I maintain Plat, my miles never expire. Is this new?
Old Dec 10, 2018, 10:09 am

Launched quietly a couple of months ago, but yes, it's legit.
Tanzguy likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 8:32 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by eternaltransit
Launched quietly a couple of months ago, but yes, it's legit.
a slightly pointless benefit - when you are plat you have either a ton of miles if you fly j or f or hardly any if you fly y an sues them a lot. Cant see the point in this as when you lose status that’s when you’d need or may want to stop them expiring.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 11:03 pm

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
Originally Posted by m3red

a slightly pointless benefit - when you are plat you have either a ton of miles if you fly j or f or hardly any if you fly y an sues them a lot. Cant see the point in this as when you lose status that’s when you’d need or may want to stop them expiring.
Yeah... there must have been one Plat who only flies paid F, never uses miles for upgrades, and has no friends/family to use the miles for, who complained when his (huge) pile of miles would get trimmed by expiring miles. Or marketing did the math and thought this was an easy give.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 11:13 pm

Maybe the benefit is that miles earned as Plat never expire so they can be used after losing Plat? Or 3 year expiry countdown only starts when Plat is lost. That'd be useful
Old Dec 11, 2018, 1:37 am

they should rather bring back benefits like welcome gift for Plats / Gold or work on enhanced benefits. FF world is getting fierce competition and so does the Premium J/F product. For me also, if i was plat it would be a useless benefit for the non-expiring miles.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 1:47 am

Programs: EK platinum, ET, SAS

With the decay of the Australian dollar, tickets have gone up a lot recently. Consequently, I now often purchase return tickets where the outbound leg is in F and the inbound leg is in J. I routinely use the skywards miles to upgrade the inbound flight to F, or else I use them to upgrade friends or family who are flying Y. Consequently I generally have few Skyward miles. 934 at the moment! Waiting for the 20,000 odd miles to come from Citi, as I use my MasterCard to book online. Hoping the Pacific Peso (AUD) improves at some stage.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 1:54 am

Programs: EK platinum, ET, SAS
Originally Posted by elite13
they should rather bring back benefits like welcome gift for Plats / Gold or work on enhanced benefits. FF world is getting fierce competition and so does the Premium J/F product. For me also, if i was plat it would be a useless benefit for the non-expiring miles.
I agree, benefits are not stellar. Improving and extending them would be welcomed.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by BadoRas
With the decay of the Australian dollar, tickets have gone up a lot recently. Consequently, I now often purchase return tickets where the outbound leg is in F and the inbound leg is in J. I routinely use the skywards miles to upgrade the inbound flight to F, or else I use them to upgrade friends or family who are flying Y. Consequently I generally have few Skyward miles. 934 at the moment! Waiting for the 20,000 odd miles to come from Citi, as I use my MasterCard to book online. Hoping the Pacific Peso (AUD) improves at some stage.
agree hence my point is useless for plats.

id like lifetime gold for 10 years in a row
Old Dec 11, 2018, 6:27 am

Yes!
m3red likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 7:41 am

Yeah, totally agree - the current expiry period is very generous and EK has more than average redemption options (especially on demand upgrades!) - that was the feedback I gave anyway, and well, we know what EK is like with feedback
Old Dec 15, 2018, 7:32 am

Programs: MM, EK, HH, etc.
It‘s essentially about being able to show more „benefits“, while making sure there are practically no costs associated... ...given the miles difference required between gold and plat, the benefits as plat continue to remain a bit of a joke to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.