Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Missed check-in and was denied boarding

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Missed check-in and was denied boarding

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2018, 10:54 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, QR Gold, HH Gold, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
how do you know they were paid?
I was managing the GHA providing passenger handling to the airline in question.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 12:05 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Titanium ANA Diamond
Originally Posted by Ashok Khanna

It was international on united from Tokyo to Seoul

Last year my friend got Korean Air to let him on with 50 minutes to go. Air Astana always has let us on too.

Guess I was spoilt all this time
Umm... united do not fly from Tokyo to Seoul !! And even if they did, are you saying no airline should ever follow their own rules ! It would be chaos !!
Old Dec 3, 2018, 12:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold; Le Club Accorhotels Plat; Marriott Gold
Surprising that this is coming from a frequent traveller. They usually understand why it is important to be ontime and for the airline to leave ontime.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 4:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards
Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN4
Umm... united do not fly from Tokyo to Seoul !! And even if they did, are you saying no airline should ever follow their own rules ! It would be chaos !!
errrr just google it...
Old Dec 3, 2018, 4:58 am

Programs: Skywards Gold

errrr just google it...
UA7317, UA7321 and UA7299
Old Dec 3, 2018, 5:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Air carriers overbook flights and those overbookings sometimes result in oversales. Oversales are avoided when passengers who are booked do not show up. That is all that happened here. If the flight had been empty, perhaps EK might have accommodated him. But, it was full and thus someone who turned up on time got OP's seat. At T-56, there was no seat to give him.

This could have been a lot worse. On an inflexible ticket, there would not have been a penalty fee, he would have been required to pay for a new ticket at walk-up prices.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 5:49 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, NWA WorldPerks deserter, Alaska Airlines Something-er-Other...
Lightbulb

Joy of travelling is gone...
Well..... if that joy is derived from showing up late and still getting on the plane, then yes, it probably is.

I show up on time, and I still enjoy my travels......
To each their own, I suppose.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 6:12 am

Umm... united do not fly from Tokyo to Seoul !!
errrr just google it...
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
UA7317, UA7321 and UA7299
Codeshares with Asiana. Not United flights.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by ft101
I wondered why there were so many. just googled "TYO-SEL UA"
Old Dec 3, 2018, 6:49 am

Programs: AF/KL BA GF EK EY LH QR
Originally Posted by ft101
United used to fly between Tokyo and Seoul. Stopped in October 2017.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1834647-united-ends-tokyo-seoul-route-oct-2017-a.html
Old Dec 3, 2018, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards
Originally Posted by XXTSGR

United used to fly between Tokyo and Seoul. Stopped in October 2017.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1834647-united-ends-tokyo-seoul-route-oct-2017-a.html
Thanks
Old Dec 3, 2018, 9:28 am

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic

The OP did not provide any extenuating circumstances as to why they missed the check in deadline so IMO the blame is on them. You cant use the fact that staff have been nice in the past and made exceptions to the rule as an expectation of what they should do in the future. I appreciate when exceptions are made for me but would never expect them, even as a status member in paid J.

Last edited by Saltire74; Dec 3, 2018 at 9:49 am Reason: Removed quote of deleted post
Old Dec 3, 2018, 9:39 am

The remedy is the same the OP was offered. Change fees/no-show fees + fare difference

Last edited by Saltire74; Dec 3, 2018 at 9:51 am Reason: Removal of commercial promotion quote
Old Dec 3, 2018, 10:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Listerone
My policy has always been to arrive at the terminal three hours before scheduled departure.That way hitting a traffic jam on the way there or an unusually long and slow line at security are unlikely to be problems.The downside with that attitude is that I spend far more time in overpriced airport gift shops than does the typical flyer.The half dozen times I've flown Emirates (IIRC I'm "Blue Class") have been entirely uneventful...except for the time I was upgraded to Business Class from BOS to DXB.
If you travel a lot and never miss a flight, you're spending too much of your life in airports.

BTW, for domestic USA flights, the cutoff typically is 30 minutes, sometimes 45 for checked bags or in the largest/worst/most inefficient airports. I haven't checked recently, but it used to be possible to show up and purchase a ticket for a shuttle flight (and even be guaranteed a seat at full fare prices) as little as ten minutes before scheduled departure.

ADDED: Early in the morning, at small airports and at some foreign outstations, if you show up three hours before scheduled departure, the check in counter probably won't even be staffed.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 10:29 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If you travel a lot and never miss a flight, you're spending too much of your life in airports.
Well, I do spend too much time in pubs/bars. So I just consider my extra time in the club as being in a bar that servers crappy drinks, but is free. :-)

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
The remedy is the same the OP was offered. Change fees/no-show fees + fare difference
Certainly a legit action by the carrier. But many airlines would rebook for free on the next available option in this case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.