Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

How to upgrade via travel agent issue ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2018, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler Gold, Delta Gold, Alaska/VX Gold, SPG Gold for Life

My company's travel agent (Egencia) booked my tickets on Emirates and I am 7 days out with a not so comfy coach seat.
I wanted to upgrade and visited the website, clicked on the upgrade with cash, but it refuses to do anything because of my ticket.
I called my travel agent and they quoted me an astronomical amount (aka to buy a J seat) not upgrade to one.
My first time on Emirates, so I thought I could buy the coach ticket and then pay for the upgrade? Any advice?
Don't guess I'm going to offered/sent anything at this point - help!
Old Sep 29, 2018, 10:33 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
The cost of the upgrade is the cost to buy a J seat...? You need to pay the fare difference.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Thanks, so when there are 20+ J seats left on an A380 that nobody will pay $10K for, what does Emirates do? Fly empty? Do they offer upgrades for less in the boarding area? Just curious how they do it? Email people who have paid Y or ???? I couldn't find anywhere which explains how they fill empty J seats.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by mailbotx
Thanks, so when there are 20+ J seats left on an A380 that nobody will pay $10K for, what does Emirates do? Fly empty? Do they offer upgrades for less in the boarding area? Just curious how they do it? Email people who have paid Y or ???? I couldn't find anywhere which explains how they fill empty J seats.
I assume you're based in the US ? Most airlines outside the US are happy to let their premium cabins fly empty rather than provide free or almost free upgrades to their premium passempass
Old Sep 29, 2018, 4:55 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by mailbotx
They will email some people who have booked direct with upgrade offers (probably around $1000 for the one way flight). They won't email TA booked passengers.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Thanks, I'm regretting now letting my TA do the booking as I think I'm out of luck.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Wanted to follow-up on my first experience with Emirates -
Saturday afternoon - during check-in SFO - fully booked, no seats available
Friday morning - during check-in DBX - seats available - price was $7200 USD
Told to ask on board - Asked whether points or cash - was available for $3200 USD
I offered $1000 USD, but the purser said he could not change the price, it was fixed
So yes, they do fly J empty

Numerous tips for first economy flyers on Emriates -
There are two check-in areas at SFO for economy - Online check-in and non-online
In DBX, there is a separate check-in for USA bound flights separate from the other two (online, regular economy)
In economy, I received an amenity kit with eye mask, toothbrush/paste.
There is USB at each seat on the A380 and a power outlet in every other seat
Expect pillows and blankets along with a headset. If you bring your own headset, you’ll need a dual plug adapter.
There is FREE wifi which is limited to BOTH 20MB and 2 hours.

For those who are trying to get to Pune (PNQ) -
Emirates operates out of Terminal 3 in DBX
Obviously, you should expect to clear customs in UAE, get your checked bag (if you have one).
You will need to catch a bus to change to SpiceJet to Terminal 1.
If you get SpiceMax (recommended) you do not have to wait in line to check-in.
You should allow at least 3 hours between flights (Emirates and SpiceJet).
Once you check-in in Terminal 1, I was able to relax in the Marhaba Lounge with my priority pass. The shower would have been an extra 70 Dirham ($20 USD), I didn’t try it.
Pune airport is a military base, no lounge, but the food court isn’t too bad.
Metanoia likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 3:52 pm
Ambassador: Emirates
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: QF P1 + LTS, EK Gold, BAEC Gold, QR Gold, IHG Ambassador
*EK fly to and from DXB.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 9:00 pm

Actually no need to clear customs in DXB, you can pay Marhaba to handle the bags and transit airside, or better travel HBO. Also why not rather fly EK to BOM and drive, that's what most people do.

Re headset comment, are there actually airlines that don't provide them?

And yeah, EK will fly a totally empty J or F cabin
m3red likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 10:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Actually no need to clear customs in DXB, you can pay Marhaba to handle the bags and transit airside, or better travel HBO. Also why not rather fly EK to BOM and drive, that's what most people do.
Appreciate the Marhaba tip. You're right, most people do fly into BOM and drive. Thanks again!

Last edited by mailbotx; Oct 23, 2018 at 10:56 pm Reason: mis spelling
Old Oct 24, 2018, 10:48 am

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold

Same with Cathay Pacific especially F. I flew in F transpac as the only passenger when it was still on my route. They had no probs with leaving 5 of 6 seats empty. As you can imagine the service was quite good with two lavs, and all appetizers and mains catered for one passenger.
I was on CX HKG BKK three days ago and there were 9 in J out of I think 32 seats but plenty in coach and a few in PE. That stayed there.
CX or EK are not upgrading people to $10,000 seats for $1000.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 7:17 pm

I totally get the logic of wanting to make first class this exclusive experience that they don't give out for free... but from a business standpoint it just seems like lost revenue. If your premium cabin is empty you are missing out on potential revenue. Don't give it away for free, but find a happy medium (like $2000 for an upgrade from J to F - that should more than cover the cost of any soft product consumed).

I honestly think this is the main reason Emirates is moving to a 6 seat first class. I think they're having trouble selling 8 seats on a 777 @ 10k a pop.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by ncsuactor84FT
I totally get the logic of wanting to make first class this exclusive experience that they don't give out for free... but from a business standpoint it just seems like lost revenue. If your premium cabin is empty you are missing out on potential revenue. Don't give it away for free, but find a happy medium (like $2000 for an upgrade from J to F - that should more than cover the cost of any soft product consumed).

I honestly think this is the main reason Emirates is moving to a 6 seat first class. I think they're having trouble selling 8 seats on a 777 @ 10k a pop.
No one pays 10k for F. And they're in no rush to move to 6 seats. They offer occasional discounted cash upgrades during online check-in, targeted and not always available, and I've mostly seen it for Y-J
Old Oct 25, 2018, 3:51 am

Originally Posted by ncsuactor84FT

That may all be true if you look at one flight on its own, but if you look at the big picture and the amount of paid for F seats it might make good business sense to do as Emirates does.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 6:34 am

No one pays 10k for F. And they're in no rush to move to 6 seats. They offer occasional discounted cash upgrades during online check-in, targeted and not always available, and I've mostly seen it for Y-J
Really? I just took a look at JFK-DXB on Emirates and the cheapest flight I see is around $20k for a round-trip. I personally can't swing that amount, but I'm sure some can.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.