Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Bad customer services [Cancelling Tickets. Refund Amount?]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2018, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

I was due to travel to dubai in january 2019 with my partner first time with emirates. I booked 2 business class flight over the phone with emirates office in london, few days later me and my partner decided we couldnt afford to go on business it costed us alot of money. so i called up the emirates asking to downgrade the flight. i was transfered to someone in india, the man on the phone said i wont be able to downgrade what i will need to do is cancel my flight and request a refund. i was asked to fill a request form online and send it off. so i tried to do it online it did not work so the man said he will do it on my behalf over the phone . at that moment the man did not once say or tell me that there will be massive charges if i wish to cancel the flight and £1,000 will get deducted from my refund. i was told it will take 15 working days for my refund. i got a email back after 16 days saying i will get £1,000 deducted for the refund. i called the office at least 40 times throughout the month trying to get my full refund but still nothing. i was told the manager will call me back but no one called back with the right details, apparently their refund department is based in dubai and i cant personally contact them. after all the phone call investigation i been told i will only get £600 back and not the £1,000 and it will take another 15 to 20 days. and today i received a email stating i will only get back £400. I'm so frustrated and annoyed with their false info and lies. they are fraud the office in india mumbai is terrible their customer services is poor they have no knowledge about the product and how to engage with customers. i'm utterly dissapointed it left me with a no choice but to write to the chariman of emirates.

Last edited by Saltire74; Sep 12, 2018 at 9:36 pm Reason: Split from original thread. Necroposting not to be encouraged
Old Sep 12, 2018, 2:44 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by sammy2018
I was due to travel to dubai in january 2019 with my partner first time with emirates. I booked 2 business class flight over the phone with emirates office in london, few days later me and my partner decided we couldnt afford to go on business it costed us alot of money. so i called up the emirates asking to downgrade the flight. i was transfered to someone in india, the man on the phone said i wont be able to downgrade what i will need to do is cancel my flight and request a refund. i was asked to fill a request form online and send it off. so i tried to do it online it did not work so the man said he will do it on my behalf over the phone . at that moment the man did not once say or tell me that there will be massive charges if i wish to cancel the flight and £1,000 will get deducted from my refund. i was told it will take 15 working days for my refund. i got a email back after 16 days saying i will get £1,000 deducted for the refund. i called the office at least 40 times throughout the month trying to get my full refund but still nothing. i was told the manager will call me back but no one called back with the right details, apparently their refund department is based in dubai and i cant personally contact them. after all the phone call investigation i been told i will only get £600 back and not the £1,000 and it will take another 15 to 20 days. and today i received a email stating i will only get back £400. I'm so frustrated and annoyed with their false info and lies. they are fraud the office in india mumbai is terrible their customer services is poor they have no knowledge about the product and how to engage with customers. i'm utterly dissapointed it left me with a no choice but to write to the chariman of emirates.
What do the fare rules on your eticket say?

They said 15 working days, they responded after 16 days (you didn't specify 16 working days, so maybe within time?), 600 out of a 1000, then 400, sounds like miscommunication. 1000-600 = 400.

What did the chairman say?
Old Sep 12, 2018, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

contacted the ceo of emirates waiting for a reply back, so frustrating when they dont communicate properly.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 2:50 pm

contacted the ceo of emirates waiting for a reply back, so frustrating when they dont communicate properly.
And my other questions?
Old Sep 12, 2018, 4:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I don't know what you are expecting

You are not going to get a full refund where the tickets each have a GBP500 cancellation penalty ( which is what the cheapest fares to DXB seem to have )

How much did you pay for the 2 tickets - that much minus GBP1000 is what should be provided. If this is not the case, then go back to EK and check what the issue is

Whether you phone one or 40 times, the penalties associated with the ticket purchase will not change
Old Sep 13, 2018, 12:48 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

You're on a hiding to nothing here. You made the purchase without checking the Terms and Conditions. Unless it was a very expensive fully flexible ticket, there would have been a cancellation fee clearly stated in the booking process. The fact that you missed this isn't the fault of Emirates.

You were actually quite fortunate. A lot of airlines don't allow cancellation of the their cheaper tickets full stop (other than a refund of the taxes).
Old Sep 13, 2018, 2:21 am

What are you expecting Timmy boy to say ? If you check your ticket T&C and if what you're charged is contrary to the cancellation fees listed there, you have a point. Otherwise, the email reply from Timmy's PA is going to point you to ticket T&C
Old Sep 13, 2018, 2:24 am

i'm utterly dissapointed it left me with a no choice but to write to the chariman of emirates.
That Ahmed guy who is the chairman is also a Chairman for half of Dubai investments. So he isn't going to reply. He will only show up if he has to receive or give an award.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 7:23 am

Programs: EK Pleb
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
....... Unless it was a very expensive fully flexible ticket, there would have been a cancellation fee clearly stated in the booking process. The fact that you missed this isn't the fault of Emirates......
Given that the OP made the booking on the phone, I doubt very much that the sales person would have 'reeled off' umptine pages of the t&c, so it is possible that the OP was unaware that he is liable to a penalty charge should he cancel or change the booking.
That said, I find it somewhat amazing that the OP booked, and paid, for the flights without having regard as to whether or not he could afford the cost.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by Oldtiger
Given that the OP made the booking on the phone, I doubt very much that the sales person would have 'reeled off' umptine pages of the t&c, so it is possible that the OP was unaware that he is liable to a penalty charge should he cancel or change the booking.
That said, I find it somewhat amazing that the OP booked, and paid, for the flights without having regard as to whether or not he could afford the cost.
I booked a flight over the phone a few days ago, EK flight but with a travel agent (my bank = discount), they mentioned the change and cancellation fees. Beyond that OP would have received an automated e-mail containing the eticket and fare rules, detailing the penalties, aside from the fact that virtually all fares have cancellation penalties or are even non-refundable (on all airlines, not just EK), unless explicitly chosen for their flexibility.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 8:08 am

Programs: EK Plat
This is surely a joke? Who on earth buys something then decides they can’t afford it. Isn’t it the other way round?
XXTSGR likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.