Search

Historical flight

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2018, 9:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EK Platinum
Historical flight

Restricted armrest space.
Today flying EK147 to AMS in A6-EDA. The first A380 Emirates ever received. Surprised that it is still in service. Very aged J Class product. Not anymore up to EK standard honestly. ICE screen is lagging and not very responsive. Screens are “washed out”.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 11:03 pm

They're going to be retired soon, so EK isn't spending much to keep the cabin upgraded to look like the newer frames. It just goes for mechanical maintenance to keep it flying, but that's about it.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 4:56 am

Programs: Emirates Platinum

Much better on the Amsterdam route today ! Thankfully
Old Sep 11, 2018, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EK Platinum
You took the afternoon flight. I had the morning flight to AMS. You are lucky :-)
Old Feb 12, 2020, 8:55 pm

Programs: Ex-5C club, Skymiles Gold
Originally Posted by murtaza12
They're going to be retired soon, so EK isn't spending much to keep the cabin upgraded to look like the newer frames. It just goes for mechanical maintenance to keep it flying, but that's about it.
Had the pleasure? of flying on A6-EDA on Tuesday DXB-JFK. I thought the interior looked a little old and worn with more clear tape holding things together in the shower spas than normal but I didn’t realize until I was logging the ship number today that this was the #1 A380 in the fleet and it is still flying (even after an engine failure)!

Fun thing was our route which took us over St. Petersburg and Helsinki due to strong jet stream winds.

Sorry to resurrect this old thread but I thought it was topical that in 2018 it was to be retired “soon”.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 6:41 am

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
Originally Posted by Flaneurs
Had the pleasure? of flying on A6-EDA on Tuesday DXB-JFK. I thought the interior looked a little old and worn with more clear tape holding things together in the shower spas than normal but I didn’t realize until I was logging the ship number today that this was the #1 A380 in the fleet and it is still flying (even after an engine failure)!

Fun thing was our route which took us over St. Petersburg and Helsinki due to strong jet stream winds.

Sorry to resurrect this old thread but I thought it was topical that in 2018 it was to be retired “soon”.
Last time I flew A6-EDA it was in great shape...so not sure what you're talking about! Oh wait... that was back in 2008!

Looking at my logs, surprised I've only flown it once (I've flown on about 2/3 of the A380 fleet over the years).
Flaneurs likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 4:14 am

Originally Posted by Flaneurs
STC mentioned that 2 A380s would be retired, but it seems like those plans have been put off for a few more months.

A6-EDA will have been in service for 12 years this July, maybe the lease will end and it'll see the same fate as some of SQ's ex-A380s.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.