Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Double upgrade by arriving at check-in extremely late

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2018, 1:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK Gold

My mate just got on LGW/DXB/HKG and he has no status with EK at all. He arrives at the airport extremely late (~55 min beforehand at checkin desk). He got upgraded from Y to J with supervisor's approval as the flight is overbooked, then the Hong Kong leg was upgraded at DXB transit desk with an email telling him that he has been updated.

It seems like when they overbook the flight, they tend to upgrade random people?
Old Aug 11, 2018, 3:16 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by tobiashenry
t seems like when they overbook the flight, they tend to upgrade random people?
No, they upgrade by status / fare type :-

Platinum Status
Flex Plus Ticket
Flex Ticket
Saver Ticket

Usually, the upgrades would be arranged beforehand for oversold flights, so it wouldn't matter whether you turned up 3 hours or 1 hour before.

Do you know what fare type your friend had?
Old Aug 11, 2018, 4:48 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
In this case he may have simply been upgraded because of how late he arrived. Upgrades tend to be processed exactly 60 mins before departure (not always but quite often) when check-in closes, as he was late they may have assumed he would no-show and gave away his seat and then upgraded him because it was easier
Old Aug 11, 2018, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
No, they upgrade by status / fare type :-

Platinum Status
Flex Plus Ticket
Flex Ticket
Saver Ticket

Usually, the upgrades would be arranged beforehand for oversold flights, so it wouldn't matter whether you turned up 3 hours or 1 hour before.

Do you know what fare type your friend had?
from what I know he booked a Flex Plus Ticket - around HKD 8000
Old Aug 11, 2018, 7:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
In this case he may have simply been upgraded because of how late he arrived. Upgrades tend to be processed exactly 60 mins before departure (not always but quite often) when check-in closes, as he was late they may have assumed he would no-show and gave away his seat and then upgraded him because it was easier
Yes, it makes sense, the departure time was 2145 and he was at the desk just around 2050
Old Aug 11, 2018, 7:59 am
Original Poster

This happened with one of my friends on Virgin Atlantic to HKG before they terminate the HKG route. It was a double op-up. But whilst onboard the FA asked him to go to Prem econ instead lol
Old Aug 11, 2018, 8:14 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

This was years ago, our SIN-DXB EK flight got cancelled, so, an EK flight coming in from Jakarta (or something) was used to transport the passengers on my original flight to DXB. My two friends and I had the same saver Y fare, but they checked in before me. The flight was so super oversold that the GA upgraded both my friends to J. I ended up in Y. None of us have any status.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 1:37 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
One of my gfs who was EK Gold (before the new status levels) used to arrive at precisely at T-60 and never OLCI.

She was upgraded from Y to J to and from SYD over 80% of her flights...

Last edited by m0hamed; Aug 12, 2018 at 4:37 am
Old Aug 12, 2018, 4:07 am
twr

So if one does OLCI ruin your chances of an upgrade?
Old Aug 12, 2018, 4:26 am

Originally Posted by twr
No
Old Aug 12, 2018, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by twr
I guess sometime OLCI helps when you have a status with the airline. The higher boarding number within the same group might help. However, my mate's case is just like a risky one I guess as he knows it has been overbooked.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 11:51 am

I guess sometime OLCI helps when you have a status with the airline. The higher boarding number within the same group might help. However, my mate's case is just like a risky one I guess as he knows it has been overbooked.
Do you mean sequence number? With EK seauence Numbers are Not strictly by check-in order as there seems to be a phantom check-in performed by their system shortly before OLCI opens and it goes by last name alphabetically. I recently did a miles upgrade shortly before departure (OLCI open) and this caused my ticket to be re-issued or something and my sequence number was very high. My last name starts around 40% into the alphabet and in full 77Ws my sequence is almost always between 140-170 (out of around 400 total pax). I often do OLCI exactly at T-48, hence my above interpretation.

That being said, sequence number is totally irrelevant in terms of upgrades
Old Aug 12, 2018, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Do you mean sequence number? With EK seauence Numbers are Not strictly by check-in order as there seems to be a phantom check-in performed by their system shortly before OLCI opens and it goes by last name alphabetically. I recently did a miles upgrade shortly before departure (OLCI open) and this caused my ticket to be re-issued or something and my sequence number was very high. My last name starts around 40% into the alphabet and in full 77Ws my sequence is almost always between 140-170 (out of around 400 total pax). I often do OLCI exactly at T-48, hence my above interpretation.

That being said, sequence number is totally irrelevant in terms of upgrades
My bad, just forgot that I should be referring to EK specifically. I was under the impression in this regard referring to another airline where boarding number sequences match check in sequence
Old Aug 12, 2018, 9:49 pm
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
My bad, just forgot that I should be referring to EK specifically. I was under the impression in this regard referring to another airline where boarding number sequences match check in sequence
Don’t know if they still do it but I am thinking you may have been referring to CX. For quite some time, if I’m not mistaken, OpUps were usually processed by seq. no. with the lower the number, the higher the chance.

S

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.