Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

On Board Calling & Data Roaming Question

Old Jul 11, 18, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

Hi All,

I'm travelling in J class from YYZ-DXB soon, and although I'm aware that there is free use of the on board wifi, I've read in several reviews that the speed is quiet slow.

With that said, I noticed that on the A380's, and on my route/flight, passengers are allowed to use their phones to make/receive calls and use their data. The only condition that I read was the wireless carrier must have an agreement with the company Emirates uses to provide this service (OnAir/Aeromobile). After checking Aeromobile's website, I did notice that my wireless carrier does indeed have an agreement with Aeromobile, so theoretically, there shouldn't be an issue.

Now here is where it gets a bit tricky - my wireless provider offers a fantastic roaming package where for a very low daily rate, I can use my phone (calling, data, text) just like I would if I was home - no data or voice limits which is great.

I called my wireless provider to ask if I would be able to use my phone to make calls or use my data while on a plane, and they were not sure what the best answer was. They mentioned that it might be the same as if you were on a cruise ship, but they could be wrong.

Has anyone had experience flying and using their phone to make/receive calls and use their data? Any info would be great.
Old Jul 11, 18, 10:07 pm

Programs: EK Silver
Recently flying between DXB-LGW and was making / receiving calls. Quality was excellent.
Got stung a hefty bill though as I hadn't signed up to any roaming packages etc.
Old Jul 11, 18, 10:40 pm
Xlr

Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
Would help if you mentioned who your provider was.

I've had no issues (other than the bill!) with AeroMobile calls.
Old Jul 11, 18, 10:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Xlr View Post
Would help if you mentioned who your provider was.

I've had no issues (other than the bill!) with AeroMobile calls.
Iím with a Canadian provider called Rogers Wireless. Do you know a roaming package would make it any cheaper?
Old Jul 11, 18, 10:53 pm
Xlr

Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
Originally Posted by flyer_sam View Post
I’m with a Canadian provider called Rogers Wireless. Do you know a roaming package would make it any cheaper?
If you go here: https://www.rogers.com/web/content/add-ons and type "cruise ships", you'll see that those "premium destination" rates apply to airplanes as well.

(I thought to check there because my carrier T-Mobile USA also lists it under cruise ships).

I suppose your next step would be to find a roaming plan for "premium destinations" as Rogers puts it.
Old Jul 11, 18, 11:26 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Most standard roaming packages will exclude inflight operators like AeroMobile and OnAir, although some operators will offer a special inflight pack for an additional fee. However, for UAE subcribers to Etisalat, AeroMobile usage is included for free in the relevant roaming packs. Not OnAir though. AereoMobile is on the 777 and OnAir is on the 380s
Old Jul 12, 18, 12:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BAorbmi? View Post
Most standard roaming packages will exclude inflight operators like AeroMobile and OnAir, although some operators will offer a special inflight pack for an additional fee. However, for UAE subcribers to Etisalat, AeroMobile usage is included for free in the relevant roaming packs. Not OnAir though. AereoMobile is on the 777 and OnAir is on the 380s
Would you be able to tell me if I have the following package that I'll be covered (under International)?

Link: https://www.rogers.com/consumer/wireless/travel?ipn=1
Old Jul 14, 18, 3:12 pm

Programs: Stuff
Doubt very much *any* MNO would include aircraft/cruise ship cellphone calls/data in any bundle as it is delivered over Satellite. Excluding GoGo (uses Ground to Air cellular so much cheaper) all these carriers use satellite comms which is just stupidly expensive. Also, the speed will be just the same between onboard wifi and mobile as they probably share the same connectivity from the plane..