FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Emirates | Skywards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards-490/)
-   -   Two scary go arounds in Seattle [A6-EGC EK229/03JULY2018] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards/1918131-two-scary-go-arounds-seattle-a6-egc-ek229-03july2018.html)

msea Jul 12, 2018 11:06 pm

Thank you Metanoia, interesting to hear the ATC audio clip. It appears the second go around is at 3.45 in the clip and the third approach that finally landed comes up at 16.35 followed by ground point instruction soon after. Looking at the fwd cam it felt like he had a hard time controlling roll on both missed approaches. I remember thinking this is going to be interesting. Third approach was markedly smoother. Audio clip indicates other flights taking off and landing in the same direction around that time, and also mentions flow switch coming up. If tailwind and crosswind were well within the capability of 77W makes me wonder if whoever was at the controls was upto the task. EK voice with ATC sounds like the one that made the first cabin announcement but not the second.

skywardhunter Jul 13, 2018 1:16 am

Originally Posted by msea (Post 29968505)
Thank you Metanoia, interesting to hear the ATC audio clip. It appears the second go around is at 3.45 in the clip and the third approach that finally landed comes up at 16.35 followed by ground point instruction soon after. Looking at the fwd cam it felt like he had a hard time controlling roll on both missed approaches. I remember thinking this is going to be interesting. Third approach was markedly smoother. Audio clip indicates other flights taking off and landing in the same direction around that time, and also mentions flow switch coming up. If tailwind and crosswind were well within the capability of 77W makes me wonder if whoever was at the controls was upto the task. EK voice with ATC sounds like the one that made the first cabin announcement but not the second.

There are many other factors than just pure wind speed and direction. There could be wind sheer of varying levels at varying altitudes, as well as different layers of turbulence, changing wind djrectidias you descend, and random pockets of turbulence and thermals.

jackiedada Jul 13, 2018 1:43 am

So, we made it in one go today at SEA. But there was turbulence for sure, much more than what I have experienced at other airports, so the plane landed fast and hard. And for some reason, the plane seemed to be perpetually in a slight right bank in the final minute or so of our landing. Bummer was the 1 hour or so hold in the corridor for Passport Control.

DYKWIA Jul 13, 2018 8:34 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter (Post 29968731)
There are many other factors than just pure wind speed and direction. There could be wind sheer of varying levels at varying altitudes, as well as different layers of turbulence, changing wind djrectidias you descend, and random pockets of turbulence and thermals.

And to add, there could have been some wake turbulence thrown into the mix

msea Jul 22, 2018 9:10 am

Off nominal events occur due to some combination of environmental, machine, and human factors. One doesn't exhaust one category before moving on to another in seeking causal factors. Only EK knows the string of events that lead to this particular incident. We can only speculate here. The OP and I were on board. We all have our reasons for ascribing cause, and as my long haul airline of choice I am as keen as the next guy in wanting EK to be beyond reproach, but my hunch is that human factors played the most significant role that day. The fact that EK has had approach issues in the recent past only adds to the disconcertment.

DYKWIA Jul 23, 2018 2:35 am

Originally Posted by msea (Post 30000697)
Off nominal events occur due to some combination of environmental, machine, and human factors. One doesn't exhaust one category before moving on to another in seeking causal factors. Only EK knows the string of events that lead to this particular incident. We can only speculate here. The OP and I were on board. We all have our reasons for ascribing cause, and as my long haul airline of choice I am as keen as the next guy in wanting EK to be beyond reproach, but my hunch is that human factors played the most significant role that day. The fact that EK has had approach issues in the recent past only adds to the disconcertment.

If this had been anything other than a normal situation, it would have been plastered all over pprune by now.

skywardhunter Jul 23, 2018 3:22 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA (Post 30002984)
If this had been anything other than a normal situation, it would have been plastered all over pprune by now.

When it happened I asked an EK Pilot and he hadn't heard about it, indicative of it being orettpstandard. Even bungled go-aeound spread through the gossip network quickly as EK is extremely strict on pilots in that regard. They need to provide reasoning and justification for go-around which are then reviewed in coordination with the aircraft's information