FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Emirates | Skywards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards-490/)
-   -   Two scary go arounds in Seattle [A6-EGC EK229/03JULY2018] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards/1918131-two-scary-go-arounds-seattle-a6-egc-ek229-03july2018.html)

Selkorah Jul 4, 2018 9:32 am

Two scary go arounds in Seattle [A6-EGC EK229/03JULY2018]

EK 229 from DXB had to go around twice yesterday for seemingly unexplained reasons . First it was supposedly cross traffic? And the second almost a lasr second escape i think was explained with a trembling voice as cross wind ? . The plane shuddered and shook each time and it scared even this 45 years of flying writer . Third time was a charm . Thank god

ft101 Jul 4, 2018 11:16 pm

Looks like it ended up landing in the opposite direction from initially planned too.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...2d3a510d95.jpg

skywardhunter Jul 4, 2018 11:32 pm

Probably varying and changing wind conditions

beckoa Jul 5, 2018 12:13 am

Welcome to Flyertalk @Selkorah.

Go arounds are rare, double ones even more so.

Glad you made it in ok.

jackiedada Jul 5, 2018 1:25 am

Originally Posted by Selkorah (Post 29937287)
EK 229 from DXB had to go around twice yesterday for seemingly unexplained reasons . First it was supposedly cross traffic? And the second almost a lasr second escape i think was explained with a trembling voice as cross wind ? . The plane shuddered and shook each time and it scared even this 45 years of flying writer . Third time was a charm . Thank god

OMG, I am scheduled to be on EK229 next week. I shall share if we experience anything similar again or it was a one off.

msea Jul 7, 2018 1:19 am

I was on this flight watching the approach on the video. It was a crystal clear day in Seattle. Came in wobbling on both missed approaches. Announcement after first go around was made by same Venezuelan Captain who had introduced the crew in DXB, said go around was due to "...er, traffic". Second missed approach announcement had a British accent, the trembling voice as noted by OP, was attributed to winds. The entire airfield looked clear at least on the video and felt like we were about to touchdown both times. Changed direction for the third approach, came in smooth and landed. Something seemed amiss, wondered if a rookie was involved.

AntonS Jul 7, 2018 3:21 am

This could be normal go-arounds, but recent approach-related accidents with Emirates planes are concerning. Last year there were 2 near-crashes with A380 in DME and JFK when aircraft was 500 ft and 200 ft AGL and several miles away from runway (in case of DME not even on the approach path). And earlier there was 777 crash-landing in DXB during failed go-around.

There are commom complains from this part of the world about pilots not getting enough rest and working extra hours. Also recent FlyDubai crash in Rostov and similar complains about pilots fatigue from FlyDubai pilots.

I do not want to draw any conusions until investigations complete, but the trend is very alarming.

ioto1902 Jul 7, 2018 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by msea (Post 29946786)
I was on this flight watching the approach on the video. It was a crystal clear day in Seattle. Came in wobbling on both missed approaches. Announcement after first go around was made by same Venezuelan Captain who had introduced the crew in DXB, said go around was due to "...er, traffic". Second missed approach announcement had a British accent, the trembling voice as noted by OP, was attributed to winds. The entire airfield looked clear at least on the video and felt like we were about to touchdown both times. Changed direction for the third approach, came in smooth and landed. Something seemed amiss, wondered if a rookie was involved.

Clear sky doesn't mean that there is no wind.
I sometimes prefer that pilots lie rather than say "we were inches of being caught in a shear wind and end-up flat like a french crepe on the tarmac".

Xlr Jul 7, 2018 11:59 pm

I've experienced one go-around (at JFK) and it was intense - I remember the high vibrations/shaking as well. Glad you landed safely!

wxman22 Jul 8, 2018 12:05 am

Originally Posted by AntonS (Post 29946964)
This could be normal go-arounds, but recent approach-related accidents with Emirates planes are concerning. Last year there were 2 near-crashes with A380 in DME and JFK when aircraft was 500 ft and 200 ft AGL and several miles away from runway (in case of DME not even on the approach path). And earlier there was 777 crash-landing in DXB during failed go-around.

There are commom complains from this part of the world about pilots not getting enough rest and working extra hours. Also recent FlyDubai crash in Rostov and similar complains about pilots fatigue from FlyDubai pilots.

I do not want to draw any conusions until investigations complete, but the trend is very alarming.

This sounds more like the KAL issue of pilots hardly flying the plane versus flying too much.

AntonS Jul 9, 2018 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by wxman22 (Post 29949485)
This sounds more like the KAL issue of pilots hardly flying the plane versus flying too much.

It's probably both :).

ekfb Jul 10, 2018 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by AntonS (Post 29946964)

Not like the other part of the world where Air Canada landed on taxiway in SFO

DYKWIA Jul 10, 2018 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by ekfb (Post 29960237)
Not like the other part of the world where Air Canada landed on taxiway in SFO

No, it really didn't... If it had, there would be around 1000 fewer people on this earth.

Metanoia Jul 11, 2018 12:22 am

<avgeek>
ATC audio from LiveATC (EK229 checks on at 1:49): http://archive-server.liveatc.net/ks...2018-2000Z.mp3 - not sure if this is the first or second attempt.

First wind check for EK229 was given as 250 @ 7 kts - a direct crosswind, changing to 280 @ 8 just before landing on the south runways (160 degrees), so a ~7kt cross and ~4 knot tailwind.

Max tailwind for 77W is 15kts, max demonstrated crosswind is 38kts - well within the limits but probably disconcerting after 14 hours of flying. I don't like making crosswind landings in a C172 fully awake.

Those onboard - did the plane feel like it was chasing the centerline the whole time?

Relevant METAR:
KSEA 031953Z 26007KT 10SM FEW025 FEW200 19/08 A3014 RMK AO2 SLP212 T01940078

</avgeek>

donpizmeoff Jul 11, 2018 11:29 pm

What made the go-arounds ‘scary’? They’re a well rehearsed and straightforward maneuvre. If the weather was as suggested, then the conditions are benign - 7kts crosswind in a 777 really is nothing. Are you sure the pilot’s voice was trembling? The plane will shudder & shake, as the application of take-off thrust is made, much like an actual take-off.

Seattle often runs runway spacing quite tight, so could that be an explanation for the go-around?