Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

EK779 CPT-DXB and on to LHR cannot check in

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2018, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EK Plat

hi everyone. My daughter (EK gold) is on this flight tomorrow (21st June). As soon as check in opened yesterday, she tried to check in and got a spurious error message. She has tried again today, called the gold line and no one can say why she can’t check in. She is travelling in Y with 2 kids. Anyone know what’s going on?
Old Jun 20, 2018, 12:51 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Had she had seats assigned?
Old Jun 20, 2018, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Yes, seats assigned.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 1:46 pm
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by gillyd22
Yes, seats assigned.
Travelling with minor children? Possibly to force a document check, the South African requirements with respect to birth certificates, permission from non-travelling parents etc.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

good thinking. That would explain it.
skywardhunter likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 12:10 am

Programs: Emirates Platinum
Originally Posted by thijsseh

Travelling with minor children? Possibly to force a document check, the South African requirements with respect to birth certificates, permission from non-travelling parents etc.
I fly with my five year old often out of JNB (he’s quite proud that he’s Skysurfers Gold; convinced it’s “better” than Plat), and have never been prevented from OLCI. It will not allow me to obtain a boarding pass, but it does check us in.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 12:22 am

Programs: AF/KL BA GF EK EY LH QR
Originally Posted by ghostwrita

It will not allow me to obtain a boarding pass, but it does check us in.
Same for me.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 12:36 am
Original Poster

I fly with my five year old often out of JNB (he’s quite proud that he’s Skysurfers Gold; convinced it’s “better” than Plat), and have never been prevented from OLCI. It will not allow me to obtain a boarding pass, but it does check us in.
will find out tonight what the reason was hopefully. Tx for your insight.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Update

hi everyone. My daughter (EK gold) is on this flight tomorrow (21st June). As soon as check in opened yesterday, she tried to check in and got a spurious error message. She has tried again today, called the gold line and no one can say why she can’t check in. She is travelling in Y with 2 kids. Anyone know what’s going on?
the flight was unbelievably oversold hence the inability to check in. They were offered something nice if they flew the next day. No waiting around - it was immediately! So they are flying tomorrow! Apparently there is no availability out of Cpt for a week!
Old Jun 21, 2018, 1:58 pm

the flight was unbelievably oversold hence the inability to check in. They were offered something nice if they flew the next day. No waiting around - it was immediately! So they are flying tomorrow! Apparently there is no availability out of Cpt for a week!
Free return in same class of service I hope?

Yes indeed, there is not a single Y seat out of any SA airport until Tuesday where it is Y1, I was trying to find a seat all day today. Ended up booking WB (Rwandair) for tomorrow, interested to see how it goes. (J out, Y back for $810, JNB-BOM and BOM-CPT), last minute trip
Old Jun 21, 2018, 2:25 pm
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
So why is everything oversold so badly? Is it a case of “will the last one to leave the country please remember to switch off the lights”? (Just in case ESKOM has not switched them off already). I know school holidays are about to start, but are South Africans suddenly prosperous enough to afford overseas travel en masse?
Old Jun 21, 2018, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by thijsseh
So why is everything oversold so badly? Is it a case of “will the last one to leave the country please remember to switch off the lights”? (Just in case ESKOM has not switched them off already). I know school holidays are about to start, but are South Africans suddenly prosperous enough to afford overseas travel en masse?
Pretty typical for this time of year, perhaps also people travelling to the world cup in Russia, though that's purely speculation, could account for an extra 10-20 seats per flight. It's not just EK, other airlines are packed, too.
thijsseh likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 9:46 pm

Programs: Emirates Platinum
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Free return in same class of service I hope?

Yes indeed, there is not a single Y seat out of any SA airport until Tuesday where it is Y1, I was trying to find a seat all day today. Ended up booking WB (Rwandair) for tomorrow, interested to see how it goes. (J out, Y back for $810, JNB-BOM and BOM-CPT), last minute trip
there were a couple of open seats on 764 on the 24th, surprisingly. I was able to upgrade myself to J with miles, and the partner to F with miles.

But last week was the first time ever I was unable to get onto a flight as a Plat (764 on 23rd was overbooked, and they’d used their Plat allocation as well). I was shocked, and had to re-rea the rules.

there was an extra 380 on 24th, apparently. Also full.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 10:01 pm

there were a couple of open seats on 764 on the 24th, surprisingly. I was able to upgrade myself to J with miles, and the partner to F with miles.

But last week was the first time ever I was unable to get onto a flight as a Plat (764 on 23rd was overbooked, and they’d used their Plat allocation as well). I was shocked, and had to re-rea the rules.

there was an extra 380 on 24th, apparently. Also full.
Yeah it's crazy, I considered using my Gold guarantee but I needed to fly sooner than 48hrs and full Y would've cost more than my RwandAir flight with J one-way (though EK Y probably better food).

​​​​​​I survived the Rwandair routing though, CPT-JNB-LUN-KGL-EBB-BOM-HYD, on 3 separate tickets with 2-3hr connections at both JNB and BOM, made it all the way with Air India fouling it up at the end with a 90 minute delay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.